1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok, Who can explain this for me ?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by neilwillis, Dec 28, 2002.

1. neilwillis

neilwillis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in Wiltshire, and my dad lives in Kent, so whilst I was down for the week I took my digibox and card… (as he only has the very basic package and I have the top package)

His setup is not the best because he cant have a dish outside so its mounted inside the flat looking through a window… It works fine (until the cat stands on the window sill,) but some channels are missing like extreme sports, and a couple of others, but apart from that its fine.

So I plug my box in and it worked fine for about 2 hours and then just stopped working, do I unplugged it for 30 seconds and turned it back on and it just said “searching for listing” and after a few minutes, said “no satellite signal be received” … Odd I thought to my self, so I plugged back in my dads box, and no problems!!!!!!!!!

So I tried again and this time it worked, but I had channel 304 missing ! just hung… but the really strange thing was that extreme sports was working! And the other missing ones that didn’t work started to work… However, if I went to channel 507 BBC News 24, and pressed the red button and tried to select an option it just said please wait and then said it couldn’t continue.

So we are watching a film and all of a sudden “no satellite signal be received” !!!!!!!!

So we bin that idea and plug in my dads box… we checked the signal using the serviced and all seemed ok, both were at half!

Plugged mine back in and it came back on! Check the signal strength and there was NONE! No quality and no transponder numbers, But we were watching it ! as far as I know it imposable!

We eventually gave up when I paid £5 to watch the Newcastle match on premiership plus, and it went off…

I have no idea why my box was acting so weird? I plugged it back in when I got back have and have not had a problem with it since!!!

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks for reading,

Neil

P.S. when pressing the buttons for the remote there was about a 2 second delay.

2. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    u wont get many replies but basically its the dish. The only way this can be proved is to install it correctly, proper alignment, cables, etc, then both boxes will work.

gb--

3. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nope, I can't explain it ...

Happy New Year

:p

d.

4. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Difficult to comment since you don't know the make/model of your Digibox but some Digiboxes are "allergic" to some LNBs. Also, I've known people who had problems when the cable run was too short!

Apart from that I'd go along with the suggestion that the dish could be the problem. Basically, a glass pane will cut down the signal so you must use a larger dish to compensate. Your Dad may have been lucky in having a particularly good Digibox in this respect. Tell him on no account to change it (whatever it is).

Ches

5. neilwillis

neilwillis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That’s to all who replied to my question.

My Digibox is a Silver Grundig. Can’t see the model number without pulling out my whole TV system!

My dad has the older black box with the rubber button on the front!

Well it might just be "One Of Those Things"

Cheers Anyways,

Neil

6. Luke Emmott

Luke Emmott
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LNB or dish alignment

Luke