1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK, whats the best bay to wire up my Kef 2005's?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by iainsim, Nov 16, 2001.

1. iainsim

iainsim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any of you give and advice on the best wiring setup for ther kef's (into a Denon AV-F100). I take it that all speakers routed through the sub is not necessaritly the number one choice?

Love them already, just trying to make it perfect!

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Most people prefer to wire the speakers directly to the amp and drive the subwoofer via the subwoofer output on the amp. This is the preferred route for 5.1 sound.

Ian

3. iainsim

iainsim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Kef's still seem to be a bit light in the mid range on certain types of music, vocal tracks are great, but put some house on and theres definately something not quite right.

The satellites go down to 80hz, but apparently start to roll off around 100 - 120hz, whats the best way ot get my sub to cover that area as well?

4. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get a receiver with a variable crossover...

5. iainsim

iainsim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit late for that Lowrider....take it theres no other solution then?

6. flunchy

flunchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    iainsim - have you tried moving things around a bit? I find that my Kef 2005 surround speakers - which are wall mounted - have a punchier mid-bass sound than the fronts which are on bookshelves/cabinets further into the room (not ideal I know). Placing smaller speakers close to a rear wall can help improve bass response.

I also built a plinth for the sub from a paving slab and a carpet tile to isolate the sub from our wooden floors. This has tightened the bass a lot and made it much 'quicker', mainly by focussing the sub's mid-bass response. Also with music the sub should be turned down so that you can only tell it's on by switching it off! It could be that your sub is set too loud, which will overpower the mid/upper bass from the satellites.

7. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn´t pay much attention, but it looked to me as the sub had a lot of RCAs in the back...

If it has inputs and outputs for the 5 channels and an internal crossover, maybe you could set them all to large and use the 120 hz crossover in the sub...

Let me know, as I have some friends with the same problem...

8. flunchy

flunchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Connections on Kef 2005 sub are:

L/R speaker level in (binding posts)
    L/R speaker level out (binding posts)

L/R line in (RCA) - L used for mono sub connection to amp.
    L/R line out (RCA)

Currently I connect all 5 speakers to my receiver (Onkyo 595) and sub pre-out to left line in RCA. I was wondering if I could send the front L/R speaker signals from the amp via the speaker level in/outs of the sub (setting these speakers to "large") and still connect the sub via the RCA line in for the proper .1 LFE for DD and DTS. I haven't tried this as I don't want to damage the sub, but does anyone know if this would work? Or if it's worth it.

I've not been bothered by any lack of midrange, but it had occured to me that wiring front L/R via the sub would mean I could use the "Direct" mode on the amp to listen to music with the minimum of signal processing at the amp.

9. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should work, even in the other modes, and it might solve Iainsim´s problem too...

Please let me know the results...

10. flunchy

flunchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will do Lowrider. It won't have time to do this until the weekend, but will update this thread with my findings.

11. iainsim

iainsim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be very interested to see how you get on with this, sounds like a plan to me.

12. flunchy

flunchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well good news and bad news.

Good news: I wired the front L/R sats via the high level in/outs of the sub and connected the sub to the amp via the low level line-in as usual. Worked first time. Switched into 'Direct' mode on my amp (2 channel stereo, no effects, no sub) and tweaked the gain on the sub and... lovely! Played around with the crossover frequency on the sub and could definitely hear the difference. Found the best setting around 12 o'clock (~ 100Hz) to my ears. So next I put on a DVD and... oh dear, where's the bass?

Bad news: there is only one gain control on the sub. Setting it correctly for high level input meant it was way to quiet for low level input. Even with the sub gain on my amp turned up to max (+12dB) it was no way near loud enough. Turning the gain up for 5.1 sound meant the sub was way too loud for music in 'Direct' mode. I spent an hour fiddling with all the settings and could find no way to get around this problem.

So I'm left with three choices:

1) Change the gain each time I switch from movies to music - no thanks!
    2) Buy a new sub, with separate high and low level gain - but I just bought this one, although it will be the first thing I upgrade in the future.
    3) Go back to powering sats direct from amp and just use low level sub input.

Obviously option 3 is the one I've chosen. 'Stereo' mode on my amp (Onkyo 595) powers front L/R and sub together and sounds almost as good as 'Direct'.

One benefit of all this fiddling is that I discovered that the sub-out on my amp does extend quite a lot higher than 80Hz (must be a very gentle cut-off), so leaving the crossover at 120Hz on the sub means I do now get more volume in the 80-120Hz range. Tested it with a couple of CDs with basslines in this range and also a simple signal generator on my PC. I'm happy for now.

Hope all this helps you iainsim and Lowrider. If either of you (or anybody else) know of a way round the high/low gain problem, I'd love to hear it. I wondered if I could wire the sub and sats from the same speaker outputs on my amp, but am worried that it could damage the amp outputs.

13. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Flunch,

I don´t understand what you mean with your last question, "wire the sub and sats from the same speaker outputs on my amp", isn´t that what you did with the front speakers ?

There is a 10 db boost option on the receiver, at least on the 787, maybe that will be enough to solve the different levels problem...

14. flunchy

flunchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can see why you wouldn't understand my ramblings. Yes that is what I did - just ignore my last question on my previous post!

To summarise I wired the front L/R speaker outputs from the amp to the L/R high level in on the sub and then the sub's L/R high level out to the front L/R sats. I then connected the sub pre-out from the amp to the RCA line-in on the sub.

The problem was that I had to turn the sub's gain right down in simple stereo mode (i.e. all the signal is via the high level inputs on the sub), or it was too loud. Switching to DD or DTS the sub (i.e. all bass sent via sub pre-out) was then far too quiet, even with the sub gain set at +12dB on my amp.

Reading the FAQ on this Forum about sub connection I could just wire the sub via the speaker inputs, forget the £15 RCA lead I bought and set the front speakers to "large" on my amp. What do you think? This would definitely solve iainsim's problem I think.

15. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sure, set the other speakers to small and no sub, and all the bass should go to front, then split by the woofer´s crossover.

The only problem is that the receiver will have to handle all the bass too, even though it never gets to the front speakers...

Give it a try...