1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK whats all this about Sky Red Dot & the phone

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by SnakeUK, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnakeUK

SnakeUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I'm looking to get Skys Free to View package when it becomes available in the coming months. As I can not recieve freeview in my area Sky is the only option. I am not familiar with Sky and their antics but can someone please explain to me what the red dot is and why the digibox needs to be connected to the phone line. Is it to update the card?

Additionally when I install the thing am I likely to recieve a 2nd hand box from sky since they provide it free or will it be brand new as I would logically expect.

What do I need to pay to get sky on a second TV? Is it simply another digibox or have sky placed additional charges for this priviledge.

Thanks

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one. You didn't notice the thread:

_RED DOT !!! Post your rants and thoughts here. No other red dot threads, PLEASE!

3. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about the freeview options.

Depending on the deal you get, Sky may require that you keep the digibox connected to a phone line for a certain length of time. (1 year is standard, I believe) The Digibox gets all its updates from the dish, so the only reason for the phone connection is so that it's easier for you to accidentally pay to play games or access premium rate crapola. (unless you like this sort of stuff, in which case it's just more convenient) Sky also download your viewing habits from the phone line and sell them on to a marketing company. (the details of this should be in the terms of service somewhere)

They do scan their network, so if you're required to keep your box attached to a phone line then you have to, or they will complain. (usually with a letter, but I've heard tell of people having their accounts cancelled for just this)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.