OK to vertically mount a surround proc/amp?

Yakboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Folks,

Putting together plans for my HT conversion of my lounge. I have planned out where the PJ, TV, Screen, HTPC, Sky, Xbox, 360 will all go but I am struggling on the actual surround processor /amp (currently Marantz SR5200) location due to it's size.

I am currently considering mounting it in a frame along side the sofa... but this would mean it would be mounted vertically. Do you think (heat issues exempted, I'll ensure venting is sufficient) this would be an issue? There is no moving parts but I'm not sure whether I might cause harm to components simply through unusual stress on the mountings to the chassis/board?

Your thoughts opinions much appreciated!!

TiA

It depends how it is build. There are some equipments ready for either horizontal either vertical positioning, but if it was designed to be layed horizontally, you could stress the heavier parts (transformer) and eventually break them off the board. I would definitively phone the maker before attempt it.

tujax said:
It depends how it is build. There are some equipments ready for either horizontal either vertical positioning, but if it was designed to be layed horizontally, you could stress the heavier parts (transformer) and eventually break them off the board. I would definitively phone the maker before attempt it.

thats what would worry me, the transformer is very heavy.

Thanks to both of you. I'll contact marantz as soon as I can.

As you mention, heat can be a real issue. Even if you have lots of cooling around the unit (even some fans blowing out air from the cabinet), heat can build up within the case and near components around heatsinks.

E.g. Since the heatsinks are not as efficient when the ribs are horizontally positioned (the warm rising air gets stopped by the fin above which reduces cooling efficiency) components can get really, really hot and airflow around the heatsink will be greatly reduced. Any hot air off heatsinks will also warm all components on the board in the process during vertical placement.

I don't think vertical placement was ever a design consideration for any A/V receiver I have seen. Think of vertical placement as being half way off from being up side down, which would very quickly make it a frying pan.

Cheers Gallium, another fair and sensibly voice point.

Looks like I need to re-think. Perhaps under my sofa but then it won't have miuch breathing space and it can warm up when it's run through a 3hr film at high volume.... dread to think how warm it might get after my epic LOTR extended versions back-to-back monster day (I plan to have once the PJ is settled :)

The only other real obvious option is actually sat on the box that surrounds the incoming electricals for the house (in the bay window) but I have been trying in the plan to keep all analogue signalling cables well away from this region of the room.... perhaps I could create some sort of shielded cable run through the box? lead piping?

Thanks again people.

I think Gallium is right. Amplifiers are designed to work horizontally, and the heatsinks will be designed to work accordingly. Put it vertically and you will throw out all their sums, and the amp will get too hot. Not good.

Nick

depending on the sofa, if it will fit under it now, you could raise it a few inches to allow air to it :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom