OK to run speaker / aerial / media box cable next to each other?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Neil Fellows, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm installing a Pio 435XDE, Denon 3805 and Genie 5.1 package, and will be routing all cabling through to another room. I was going to make a run in the plasterboard, insert some trunking and run all the cables together into the other room. It will basically consist of the media box leads (x2) the speaker cable for all speakers, the sub cable, and an aerial cable. It will not carry a power cable. My question is - is it OK to run all these packed tightly together in the trunking, or will it cause interference? Also, does it make any difference if I use metal or plastic trunking, and if they should be separated, which ones should be apart?

2. olliemac

olliemac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Running those cables together is perfectly acceptable as there should be no interference that would degrade signal quality. I would go for plastic trunking (if any in a plaster boeard cavity) 'cause its easier to work with and you are unlikely to chaff the cable whilst pulling it through. The only other thing to be careful with is making sure you stick with a reasonable bend radius. In other words don't bend the cable too tightly around corners, especially with the media box cables.

Just a tip, if I were doing all this, I would run the power cable for the plasma back to the point where all the other equipment will be powered by the mains. Its neater, everything is centralised and you shouldn't get any mains hum or earth loops which can by very annoying. Hope this helps....

3. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This is great Ollie, thanks for the advice. You've saved me making endless channels in the plaster board, and just going for the one main plastic trunking to hold it all!

With regards to your other point regarding power, I guess it's ok to add the screens power cable to the mix then without any problems? Thinking about it, it's a good idea of yours to run this cable through to the other kit, as I'm going to buy quite an expensive surge protector, and it will be useful to keep it all in one place.

4. olliemac

olliemac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    generally i would tend towards running the power cable away from the rest if possible but this isn't a major issue. it wont make any difference for a short run, i do it myself regularly with no problems at all. if you need any more tips feel free to ask, cheers.