1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK to place behind the furniture?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Dr.Rock, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    REL suggests to place the subwoofer in the corner behind the main speakers, and facing 45 degrees away from the corner. This suggests that the speakers may be somewhere in the path between the subwoofer and listener. Other people hide their subs behind the TV. I wondered, having furniture in the way of the sub, will that reduce some of the sub's effect?

I currently have the sub at the front corner of the room. There is a table in front of the sub. At the moment, I have my sub facing parallel to the front wall, so any sound waves avoid getting blocked by the table. If I place the sub at 45 dregrees as REL suggests, one of the table's legs gets in the way. At first glance I haven't noticed any difference, but there could be something I'm missing that I don't realise.

Can anyone tell me if it's OK to place furniture in front of the sub, or does it reduce the quality of output?

Thanks.

2. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those low freq waves aren't effected that much from any obstacles, they go easily through the walls also. I've mine under a table, and it works fine. Just experiment and when it sounds good, it's good. :) Front corners may be good, also between the mains is usually nice.

3. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have mine at right angles to my listening position. One I have sight of and is maybe 3m away, the other is across the other side of the room, still at right angles to the listening position but about 5m away. It exactly faces the first sub so they are firing at each other but has a 4 seat sofa blocking its path to where I sit. I have made the necessary adjustments to each sub & I wouldn't say that there is any noticable difference in perfomance between them.
    Hope this helps.