1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok then, reading all this RGB stuff

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by UselessPratt, Apr 30, 2003.

1. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, I am new to this, and still trying to understand all these cables. I am a bit confused.
    Bascially, my DVD has component. So has my Tv. But the hub of the system has RGB (Sky). I know I can go from my DVD to the Sky box using RGB Scart and then, with a special cable, I can go from the Sky box to the Tv - this uses component with sync on composite. But the question is, is this intelligent? Is it better to plug the DVD component directly to the Tv component and the Sky also directly to the Tv but through the lesser composite?? ( Bearing in mind that ultimately the idea is to get max quality on the DVD) ?? Or will the loss in quality be severe for Sky ( I am thinking it will not!).

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,934
    if you have enough SCARTS, just wire each component directly into the TV.

3. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    Damn Tv has no scarts at all. It has 1 Composite, 1 Component and 1 S-VHS inputs. My problem is I am not sure whether to wire everything in to the Component, or whether to wire the DVD to component and the Sky to the composite ( since Sky can not use the S-VHS there is nothing else left. ). I am slightly worried that wiring them all into the component ( in other words wirre the DVD to the sky, then the sky to the component) the Sky will actually degrade the quality. Especially if I play region 1 disks. Or am I talking total crap?

4. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Sky does not output component (YUV, YPbPr or YCbCr) it outputs RGB sync on composite (RGBs) or composite video; and S-video if you have Sky+.

To convert Sky from RGBs to YUV (i.e. component) you will need an RGB2YUV converter. Also to convert Sky from RGBs to s-video you will also need a converter.

Best quality is http://www.rgbtosvideo.com/ and cheaper but not as good are available from Keene and Letropaks.

To have Sky and DVD both on component you would also need a component video switcher.

If I were you I'd put DVD component to tv, and get an RGB2svideo converter for Sky (as composite is horrid).

StooMonster

5. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Welcome to the forums uselessPratt !! Sorry just had to say it. ;-)

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,934
    use your amp, if it has component switching, then convert your SKY output to component, and use the DVD component, put both into the amp, and use it switch between the 2 sources.

Avoid using composite, as its awful quality

7. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, StooMonster, I know it doesn't output component. But there is HUGE disagreement over what needs doing. According to several companies I have spoken to, I will be okay because the RGB from the Sky is only lacking a sync. Which can be provided by the composite. That is provided that your Tv can sync on it, which mine can. I sometimes think it would be better to get Sky + to sort this out!! I mean s-vhs is acceptable! I like the idea of the RGB to s-vhs converter. Sounds good to me. I will do some experiments. Grief! What a lot of cables I need to buy to try all these options out.

Thank you TommyVecetti !!

8. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you certain you mean component and not composite. If you have component why would you need to connect your DVD to sky?

(Are you using Red, White and Yellow leads)

I take it of your TV scarts only 1 is RGB

Sky digiboxes have two scarts only the TV scart outputs RGB. However, the VCR scart will accept an RGB signal. So to achieve RGB from both sources simply connect the DVD to the VCR scart and then connect the TV scart to the TV.

Ah I missed your second post,

your TV has component inputs but no scarts, how very odd.

can you not connect the sky to your dvd using a scart then go from dvd to TV via component. I have no idea if this will work

9. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What TV is it?

Is it a plasma?

If so does it have a PC Input?

Sorry - just trying to understand what TVs in the UK have Component but no Scart:confused:

James

10. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it is a plasma. I am still uncertain which is the best route. I have (again) been assured that the sky to the component will work provided you use the composite to sync, but I am slightly uncertain what will happen if I plug a dvd into the sky. I guess I will try that, and if the result it not good, then I will buy one of the RGB>S-Video and seperate the two completely - using component for the DVD and S-Vid for Sky. All this, of course, is because I refuse to pay £500 for a tuner I really don't want ( terestrial reception is totally pap here so most of the £500 wasted.).

11. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I just bought a new television for my bedroom and it has component in and not RGB, but it is an LCD one.

A few friends and family have been caught out by this recently -- either buying new CRT televisions or DVD players that have component and not scart connections.

Let's go for UselessPratt's questions one by one.

Okay, clear.

Approach #1: Don't see why not. As I said in above mail, there are a number of RGBs (RGB sync on composite) converters out there. JS Tech's is by far the best.

Note: as bobbles says, with Sky digibox one scart (marked "television") has RGBs output, the second scart (marked "vcr" or "video") has composite output but accepts RGB input for pass-though to other scart's output.

Approach #2: Upside of this approach is DVD will be straight through to screen, which may be slightly better than going via RGB passthough. Downside with this approach is Sky picture will be horrible; composite should be avoided, it's only marginally better than RF. Better would be to buy RGB2svideo converter -- which will give same picture quality as s-video out of Sky+. Not as good as RGB for Sky, but better than composite.

Approach #3: Convert Sky's RGBs to YUV and use component switcher (possibly built into AV processor or integrated amplifier).

Conclusion
    Approach #1 and #3 will give you better picture than #2.
    Approach #3 may give very slightly better picture than #1, but will include cost of component switcher if you don't have the facility built into your existing kit.

12. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    UselessPratt, you would have been better off posting this in the plasma forum -- this stuff is covered there every day.

There are even a couple of Stickys that will help.

As this is a plasma, your best option is...

DVD to component input.

Sky to VGA using either JS Tech's RGB2VGA, or cheaper products from Keene and Letropaks (e.g. syncblaster)
    StooMonster

13. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help. With a name like UselessPratt you honestly expect me to post in the right forum?? Ha ha! I will go over there and read some of the other posts. Again, thanks.

14. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    StooMonster.

You read my mind.

Useless, make sure you quote the Plasma type, as some cannot support the RGB -> VGA supplied by www.rgbtosvideo.com, but basically plug Sky into the PC Input and then DVD straight into component.

Job done.

:clap:

15. The Hemulen

The Hemulen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Have you checked in the Plasma set-up menu's on it's RGB inputs? My NEC Plasma has a 'scart' setting that lets you connect the RGB signals as normal and then the composite signal to one of the sync terminals. Works fine with no external interface box or special lead.

16. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't checked yet, but think you might be right.
    :)

17. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But if you do this on a Panny, you lose the S-video input, Component Inputs and the composite input in one go.

It is well documented in the Plasma forum.

Could a kind Moderator please move this thread to the Plasma forum.

Thanks.

18. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why would it lose the S-Video input?

19. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The S-Video and Composite inputs are the both the "AV" input. If you connect a lead to one, the other is disabled.

Therefore, if you use a Scart to RGB + Composite sync, you lose the S-Video input.

20. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Moving to Plasma as requested... :)

21. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Lots of questions here, most of which have already been answered.

First, can you connect to a plasma without an interface? Yes, some will allow for this. The NEC was talked about, but it won't interface correctly with all digiboxes so I recommend converting to component. With the Panasonic you could, but you have to combine the video and component inputs just to allow one RGB SCART in - I prefer to avoid this.

Many are now looking to keep the component video input free for use with a progressive scanning DVD player, which the above scheme would prohibit. So I propose a different solution, one to move the RGB input to the VGA or PC Monitor input. This then frees up the component input as well as the video input. Now you have the option of connecting three devices:

Progressive DVD player via Component Video.
    Digital TV via the RGB to Plasma VGA unit to the PC input.
    VHS or other device to the Video/S-Video input.

An alternative scheme if you have a component switching amplifier is to use this as a switch and switch the DVD player and Sky (via an RGB to Component converter) before going to the screen.

These schemes allow you to get the best from your screen and for the little extra over the price of your screen, money well spent.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.