1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK, the wait is over, a TH-42PHD7 for me

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by charker, Nov 1, 2004.

1. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I need help! :lease:

I have been waiting for the day when I could take the plunge and buy a plasma and I have always thought a High-Def screen was the way to go but the price was just a bit too high. But not anymore, the wait is over :thumbsup:

The TH-42PHD7 High-Def is selling for £2500 at Av-Sales, which is about the same price I considered paying for a Standard-Def V6 screen when I first seriously started looking a few months ago :)

So now one problem has resolved itself, how do I go about connecting things to get the best results?

I suppose I have a setup like many others on this forum.

SKY+ (svideo or rgb via scart)
    DVD Player (svideo, component through the SCART)
    DVD Recorder Panasonic DMRE30 - looking to upgrade to HDisk version
    Denon 3501 amp (switches comp. svideo, component (2in, 1out) but no conversion)
    Currently all wired with svideo via amp, plus a direct RGB SCART from SKY to TV

Recording all sources (DVD, SKY) easy through svideo switching. Would need to duplicate wiring if I used Component off the DVD player because I couldn't switch and record component (I don't think).

SKY+ can be connected S-Video or RGB. Assuming RGB I have two choices, a SCART card or a JS converter to VGA. Anybody got any views on which is best? Grading from no difference to noticable to jaw-dropping :) I lose res. switching with the JS route, any options? I see there is some gadget for sale on these forums that may help.

I have also looked at these scalers (iScan HD and maybe HD+). With the screen being higher res than the source, does the Panasonic screens make a good job of scaling or should I be looking at splashing out for one of these scalers? Is the difference that great and what resolutions and progressive settings would I be able to use through the chosen interface?

So which connection do I use to connect an iScan. Would it be VGA or component to get the best progressive picture?

Do I get an svideo board for the screen or repeat the cabling with SCART/Component converters to the amp and connect the amp to the screen with component or do I bypass the amp and go direct? My current DVD is not progressive so is the picture from svideo such a big difference from component?

I like the look of this new Panasonic S97EBS DVD with HDMI. Would I connect this directly to the screen or via an iScan (if I had one)? I couldn't switch through the AMP so presumably I would wire with s-video again for recording. What kind of output are people expecting from HDMI direct to the screen? What resolutions/interlacing would it default too on a HD screen?

If you had a HD screen and a DVD, DVD Recorder, all connected through an AV amp how would you connect it all up? I don't want to buy loads of interface cards and then wish I'd spent the £300 towards an iScan....

Too many options???? :confused:

Any help appreciated.

Cliff

2. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    ... waiting patiently for the Panasonic V7 High Def. screen to appear and what's even better is the price they have arrived at. The same price the standard def. V6 at AV-Sales! Am I glad I waited? ...

Hmm ? Have I missed something here ? :confused:

3. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I think what I mean is the V7 High-Def is selling at the same price the V6 standard def was selling at only a few weeks/months ago :)

Sorry for any confusion

Perhaps I should edit the post :oops:

Cliff