1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK The pain in the neck is back: MIC's?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by kevink, Apr 29, 2005.

1. kevink

kevink
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :mad: So I lash out £90 to buy a Rode Videomic. Unfortunately, although it picks up the words of an interviewee in a room quite well, it also picks up 'ALL' of the noise from the camcorder. To such an extent that although the onboard Sony TRV10e mic is a bit tinnier, it's still the better choice because you don't have any of the hugely irritating background whirr!

So now I am tempted to take the Rode Videomic back to the shop and try to change for a regular Mic. Of course the camcorder Mic port doesn't accomodate a regular mic lead, so:

a) Anyone know of a mic with a 3 metre plus cable that will plug into the regular camcorder mic port and give me good interview audio quality :mad: ?
    or
    b) Anywhere I can buy a 'cheap' adapter/cable to get a regular mic into the TRV10e 1/8 inch port?

TY in advance.

By the way, eventually when I buy the HD Cam all this will go away but it's soooooo frustrating

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess from your reference to a 1/8inch port your in the USA (because in the UK and most of Europe it is universally known as a 3.5mm socket) - it really would help if people filled in their location box.

Depends on what you mean by a regular mic lead, here in the UK there is a vast range of microphones sold for use with camcorders and these all have the 1/8" (3.5mm) plug - so to that extent a 'regular' mic lead would have that 1/8" plug. We also have a range of semi-pro and professional microphones and these would usually have an XLR connector - is that what you mean by a regular mic lead ??

Here in the UK that also would be no problem because we would simply use one of these http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/codesearch.pl?41908 - they will ship to most of the world but I am surprised they are not readily available in your part of the world.

Edit - having just posted all that I noticed that you quoted the price in £'s - so are you in the UK then - if so you just havent been looking. - check out www.keene.co.uk

3. kevink

kevink
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Without getting all defensive, thanks for your advice and the adaptor you highlighted looks like exactly what I need. Yes I am in the UK, I'll stick my location in the profile and yes I did look for adaptors, that's why I referred to the 1/8 inch 'cos I learned it on the net' . However, when you are a bit of a divvy like me and feeling your way around the market, it's better to ask the experts on here. That way I don't waste even more money on another incorrect config.

Again

Thanks

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    If going for a mic to be mounted on the top of the cam then the MKE300 is highly regarded, but you must get the MKE300D as a digital camcorder will give out a lot of additional noise/interference that an unshielded mic will pick up. The MKE300D has this additional shielding and works well, but of course does cost more money :mad:
    Or if you really want to push the boat out and spend some serious money then you should look at the K6 system!

Mark.

5. kevink

kevink
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark,

As I said, I had already bought the Rode Videomic which picked up the interview dialogue well, but also a huge amount of camera noise. Fortunately, the very nice people and Andertons Music in Guildford let me trade it for a Sony ECM 907 which fits straight into the camcorder mic socket and works like a dream as an interview mic, jusy placed a couple of feet from the sibject and out of shot. It's also very handy for voiceovers straight into the pc since it doesn't have the curly lead you get with a purpose build camcorder mic.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Hey, if it works for you then it is the ideal piece of kit fo the job! The only thing is that it is not a well known mic to me, but that doesn't matter if it does all you require.

Mark.

7. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like a boundary mic, these work reasonably well, giving a unifrom if fairly flat sound.

The MKE300D is an absolute con. It is technically better, basically there is a farady shield system built into the cable (an extra insulation layer with two small tin solder terminations) somehow an extra 2p worth of foil and .50£ worth of labour translates into a £40 difference on the high street!!

Buy the MKE300e instead, if it isn't up to the job then get a refund towards a 300d, don't EVER buy the 300d first. If you have a rudimentary electronics knowledge and a solder iron, buy the 300 and modify it.

YOU ARE BEING CONNED!!!!!!!!!

8. kevink

kevink
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey Roy,

If I'd know it'd wind you up so much I wouldn't have asked...

I don't suppose you'll be going to the Sennheiser Xmas dinner then?