1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK. Tell it to me like I'm a two year old. DTS, DD, 5.1 etc

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by IanB, Nov 2, 2001.

1. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The more I look, and the more I read, the more I'm confused. Here are some basic questions, help me if you can.

A. Can a DVD with DTS send the discrete channels via the analogue phono outputs or does it have to go through the digital optical / coaxial connectors?

I ask this because I just read a review of the Samsung DVD-811 - and maybe it's the way I read it - but it seems to suggest that DTS is via the optical and coaxial connections only.

B. Anybody got any brief explanations of Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital and DTS?

I just want to get my thinking straight.

Thanks in advance.

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,529
    Use the FAQ (above) for explanations of the sound formats.
    Some players have on-board dolby digital decoders.
    A waste of time in my opinion. A few also decode DTS, but most don't. I believe.
    Better to use an integrated amp with built-in Dolby Digital and DTS decoders or if you're going the audiophile route, separate processor and power amps.

3. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair comment :blush:

Mine doesn't but it does accept 5.1 input - it has Dolby Pro Logic circuits though, this is why I'm getting confussed. I'm thinking that I need to get a DVD with 5.1 out, but out I want to be sure that the player outputs the signal via the analogue connection and not just the optical.

Though the 5.1 phono's wouldn't be there if it didn't... right?

Why? Because a dedicated decoder will do a better job?

Thanks for burning the midnight oil btw!

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you want to connect a DVD player with an internal decoder (and hence it will have 5.1 (analog) output you need a matching input at your DPL amp. No 5.1 input, no go - so a new purchase might be required.
    However note that though most players support DTS they do not necessarily decode it, too, even they have 5.1 output.
    Therefore check carefully before you make a purchase.

And yes, reason to use an AV amp/processor for decoding is mainly due to the better quality you can expect.