Ok Sub upgrade help !!!

splnter

Ok i feel its time for a sub upgrade, well a bit.. ok i already have a svs sb13 Ultra, and im in talks with Karma to get the amp upgrade. so i want to go duals at the front.
Im looking at the svs SB4000 as it will match the 13 Ultra.

But would i be better off selling the 13 ultra and get the PB 4000. And then get another at a later date?
Or buying a SB16 ultra lol

Now i have a 22 foot long by 12 foot wide and 8 foot celling and a 135" acoustic screen. and i would have to move the screen forward a bit if i went for the PB,s

Now what i really want to know , would i benefit from a ported sub, or stay with the sealed ?

I do have neighbors, and when they come in they ask me to turn it up, but when they are not here i get a message to turn it down. lol

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6170.JPG
    IMG_6170.JPG
    192.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6165.JPG
    IMG_6165.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 57

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
I have svs sbu13 also. I don't think another sbu13 is big upgrade, as a single rythmik f18 has 7db gain on low frequencies compared to our sbu13.....so with two f18 that's 14db....

splnter

The upgrade is to the amp, so it makes it the same power as the SB4000.. so 1200 watts instead of the 1000 watts.. plus adds the app .

So i was gonna get the amp upgrade, then buy a SB4000. But if not .. sell the 13 Ultra and get a SBU16 ..

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
The upgrade is to the amp, so it makes it the same power as the SB4000.. so 1200 watts instead of the 1000 watts.. plus adds the app .

So i was gonna get the amp upgrade, then buy a SB4000. But if not .. sell the 13 Ultra and get a SBU16 ..

18" out paces ours, I doubt more power transforms it that much. Dual sb4000 will be outmatched by one f18 I believe

I think svs are overpriced...I remember when svs were affordable even for flagship ultra....

splnter

I know what your saying, I've have seen the prices go up. 😒. I've looked at the Monolith 15,s but they are massive. Lol

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
The monolith 15" sealed aren't too bad in size.

Really there isn't much out, upgrade, but also not silly money (ie JTR RS2)

PSA are too expensive.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member

Don´t bother with the amp swap if yours is working. There is comparison article for some Ultra model which had 750w Bash amp and the new one had 1000w Sledge. You got more features, but even when pushed really hard there wasn´t any audible difference. As you have neighbours then you probably aren´t pushing the SB13U like maniac.

I wonder could you get a home trial for PB4000. There is one open box for 1912£.

Or PB3000 for 1239£ which is quite low price and adding 2nd means you don´t have to sell your kidney!
From memory PB3000 matched PB4000 around 25hz and upwards, but with the deep stuff the extended mode on PB4000 does make difference.

splnter

Hi Gasp3621, yes ultra is the 1000 Sledge amp one..

My neighbours are ok most of the time, its when its late at night is the problem.. lol

But now im also thinking of the PB16 lol as its not far off the same footprint as the PB4000.... lol

Just not shore if it will be overkill for my room.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi Gasp3621, yes ultra is the 1000 Sledge amp one..

My neighbours are ok most of the time, its when its late at night is the problem.. lol

But now im also thinking of the PB16 lol as its not far off the same footprint as the PB4000.... lol

Just not shore if it will be overkill for my room.

Yeah night time is bad, better to keep the sub off then. There is two open box PB16U for 2500£ (gloss and oak) if you are the type of getting buyers remorse easily.. :laugh:

@dts197 has two of them in smaller room than yours i think! 😎

20200829_011708-jpg.1356956

splnter

Hahahaha thanks, Gasp3621 ... :)

Yes i was looking on there.. :)

and Dam if his room is smaller lol .. if i get one from there i just hope its only the box thats damaged and not the sub itself.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hahahaha thanks, Gasp3621 ... :)

Yes i was looking on there.. :)

and Dam if his room is smaller lol .. if i get one from there i just hope its only the box thats damaged and not the sub itself.

If in doubt, call there.

Grade 1 - Product is as new, packaging is original, but has been opened, or is significantly damaged or marked. All accessories and full warranty included. We don't provide images for these products. See description for any further details.

DodgeTheViper

I’d be very, very tempted at two PB16U’s if I could get them to fit in my room that’s much smaller than yours. Sadly, they’re far too deep to fit in here.

Last edited:

splnter

Hi, Dodge, ive been reading your posts about them. lol as someone already said to you.... Thought you had 2 already lol.

If i get one, i will get another but its trying to convince the women .lol isn't it always.. but I've tried to make her understand. :) by putting another old svs sub in its place the other side.. lol so as you can see not much room to play with. ive put tape on the floor to the size.. Now if i get the isolation feet i should be able to just put the speaker stand just under the sub. :) i will have to move my screen out about an inch or a little more. lol
IMG_6173.JPG
IMG_6176.JPG

IMG_6172.JPG

Gasp3621, i did call them today about the pb4000, i asked them if the sub was damaged at all. his reply was. he cant say, they got them from the retailer like it.. didn't tell me who they got them from but i know so i rung them :) They said. the sub is fine. its just the box thats damaged.. :)

DodgeTheViper

Nope, I don’t have them unfortunately :D

splnter

Oh dear... but your looking too ??

Ive had all sorts of subs... the sunfire i had was a bit nuts.. jumping all over the floor.. only had it a day as its had the hum.. :( them got a m&k 350thx.. had that for sometime. then the 13 ultra. but now i watch alot of movies .. so time to try out a ported ... I just hope i don't get to much chuffling lol

dts197

Distinguished Member
Yeah night time is bad, better to keep the sub off then. There is two open box PB16U for 2500£ (gloss and oak) if you are the type of getting buyers remorse easily.. :laugh:

@dts197 has two of them in smaller room than yours i think! 😎

20200829_011708-jpg.1356956
My room is approx 16'4"x14"9'. No regrets or thoughts of overkill. The house is detached though and while I do live with my landlords, the house has very thick walls.

DodgeTheViper

Oh the farting thing :laugh:

I‘m still a little unsure if I will go the Ported route tbh.

splnter

Dodge..... Thats the one.. omg i laughed so much at that post lol ... :D my misses does alot of chuffling,, farting. lol

I wasn't shore about it.. that old svs sub i have is so under powered... and farts alot when its tuned up..

Dts197... thats good to know.. i do turn mine down at night.. its weekends it gets it. lol and we have plasterboard, and only a breeze block at the back wall where my neighbors are.. my other half said, is it worth spending all that money when we have moaners next door. lol YEP. :)

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't try and cram big subwoofers in there, it'll look naff. Unless your room is huge I'd stick with sealed subs.

What about dual PSA s1512?

DodgeTheViper

Chuffing is what most would call it if talking to the queen. If I was talking to her, it would be plain old farting :D

splnter

cram them in you say... my room is 22 foot long at we sit 15 foot from the screen , or tv depends on what i have on.... yes i get what your saying tho. Also i would like to stick with svs.. I just love there subs.. :) The waves on the screen i have yet to play with so don't worry. Im just looking at th SB16,S now. lol
41124543_10156502925457165_5626379850357932032_o (1).jpg
IMG_6166.JPG

splnter

Just had a look, and cant really find much on them.

As for the pb, s... if i cant have them , i might aswell just get a sb4000.. and update my amp in my sb13. will be the same sub, same power. but have duels.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Just had a look, and cant really find much on them.

As for the pb, s... if i cant have them , i might aswell just get a sb4000.. and update my amp in my sb13. will be the same sub, same power. but have duels.

PSA s1512 outperforms sb4000. So 1812 will destroy it.

I'd only go dual sbu13 if get a cheap one...I wouldn't add a sbu4000 to my sbu13. Better to sell my sbu13 off an dbiy dual s1512 or s1812

splnter

well this is the thing... i can get the amp from a 4000 and put it in the sb13 ultra.. that makes it nearly a sb4000.. same power. as my sb13u has 1000 watts .. the new amp takes it to 1200.

I get what your saying about the psa, but ive never heard them, and dont think i can even get a demo around here. Svs i can. i have there speakers and have had there sub. so i would really like to stay with them. to me they look great aswell as sound good.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom