OK, so who is totally satisfied/happy with their TV?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Phil.LFC, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I need a bit of positive therapy after all my problems (see "S&V-do not buy from there" thread).
    If you are satisfied with your TV leave a message here so I can draw up a shortlist of possible purchases.I'm sure others would like to know too. I am quite new to this forum and it has been extremely helpful to me throughout my problems buying mail order. On the other hand it has confused the hell out of me when it comes to choosing a new TV as there seem to be negative posts about any TV I have considered. For the record I originally decided on the JVC AV-32 WFT1 but this was faulty and is now discontinued/hard to get.
    As I will never buy mail order again could anyone recommend a particular retailer or would a small independent shop be a good bet?
    Phil Read:confused:

2. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must admit, when I started reading this forum I was horrified in how many problems there seemingly are with the big manufacturers tvs!

I am planning to make a purchase myself in a month or so and I will then be in a good position to give feedback on if I'm happy with it or not!

Shortlist is down to 2, Panasonic 32Pl10 or Panasonic 36pl30!

I also intend to use John Lewis if possible and price match with a local dealer.

Good luck!

3. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am totally satisfied with my Loewe Vitros... for current technology TVs, I would like it to be a plasma... ;)

4. Kev12

Kev12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Beavis, I'm considering doing as you are by getting House of Fraser to price match a Loewe Vitros with TV & Video Direct. The sales person said no problem to the price match but I'd have to forfeit the 5 year warranty. Have you had this yet?

Regards Kev

5. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kev12

I got the same response from HoF on my 36ZP18 price match - the guy said the warranty should be like-for-like and so I would only get the standard 1yr from the manufacturer. I did say I didn't think this was right (!!) so the department manager is supposed to be ringing me tomorrow to discuss.

I have since seen some small print in their latest sale leaflet that states that:

"HOUSE OF FRASER PRICE PROMISE.
    We aim to give you the most competitive prices.If you find the same item,available for purchase elsewhere at a lower price,we will match it.†

†Taking into account delivery charges,interest free credit,.warranties and other offers.Price matching applies within 14 days."

So I guess that settles that one!

Just to let you know HoF are starting a sale on Thursday. They have the Loewe Aconda in it:

"LOEWE 32"WIDESCREEN TV ACONDA 9281ZW
    Normal Price £2,149.99
    Sale Price £1,799.99 Save £350"

but no Vitros that I can see. Don't know if this is a good price but just thought I'd let you know they are starting a sale.

6. CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony KD32DX100. very happy with mine, superb picture using RGB skydigital. also has digital tuner and x3 scarts.

i would recommend using House of Fraser or John Lewis as a retailer. ive used them both and they both price match, give free 5zr warranty’s, and are good for returning unwanted or faulty goods.

7. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CouchPotato

You say HoF honour their 5yr warranty even on price matched goods. This seems to be contrary to what I've been told and have read in their literature.

When did you last buy from them on this basis? Are you aware of them changing their policy?

Which branch did you buy from?

Can I order from any branch of HoF and then have them transfer it to my local branch? That way I could keep trying different branches until I get one that says I can have the 5yr!!! Just a thought.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not that i,m in the market for a 32" tv, but in recent weeks while searching round many tv stores etc,

I have no doubt whatsoever that the Sony dx100, is the best 32" model currently on sale in this country (uk) the picture is outstanding

9. orange

orange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba 32ZP18P

Am one of the very happy people!

10. Frankmo

Frankmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SONY KV32FQ75 very happy with it. :cool:

11. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I've got a Toshiba 40WH08B (RP) - superb TV and no problems with it at all, I've had it 16 months.

12. CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jasonlgriffin,

HoF didnt want to include the warranty at first, as the price match shop didnt have one, but John Lewis would. So on my next to visit to HoF i told them if they wanted me to buy the tv from them, then they would include the warranty or i would go to John Lewis. (I was a little more polite than that, and said i liked HoF..etc)

they gave me the 5yr warranty.

HoF leeds would not transfer a sale from leeds to london for me, i had to go local. HoF and JohnLewis have massive stores next door to each other on oxford st, London, these are the ones i used.

13. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CouchPotato

Thanks for the reply - I had actually come to the same conclusion about using JL as an example to HoF.

I phoned JL last night to get a price match and they said it would take up to a week for their "undersales" department to check the prices I gave them. While on the phone I asked if they still give the free 5yr warranty on price matched items and they said yes! So today I am going to talk with HoF and try and persuade them to do the same (don't have to wait a week then!).

Fingers Crossed!

Just got to decide on whether to go 36" or 32" now - I may go 36" then if it doesn't fit, swap it for the 32" - hassle or what!

14. Samir

Samir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I not had any problems with my Philips 9616c and get an amazing pictures with my Denon 2800, which also does not display any of the problems talked about on this forum. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones..

15. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm completely satisfied with my Loewe Xelos 32" TV. Excellent picture, pretty good sound and although not flatscreen still looks better than most TVs i've seen around. Also having 3 scarts (2 RGB and one of these component as well I think) is a godsend.
    Everyone that sees it is impressed when they come round so there you go :)

16. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Checked with JL and they still offer their 5yr warranty with a price match. I then used this to barter with HoF and they were then happy to do the same (they see JL as their main competitor).

So I now have a price match at HoF on my Tosh 32ZP18 (decided against the 36" in the end) with 5 yr warranty and they will deliver at a designated day/time whereas JL could only do Thursdays (no specific time) in my area. Nice!

You just need to know the right thinsg to say - mention JL to HoF and they are only too keen to help!