1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK - so which Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by rosbif, Jul 2, 2003.

1. rosbif

rosbif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - so I am new to this but the wife has (foolishly) given me permission to buy a new TV....

So I was wondering -
    • I have a budget of around £3000 ish so would ideally like a 42" screen
    • I have a home cinema set up already so am not too bothered about the sound but would like stereo speakers to come with the tele (when I can't be ar*ed to turn the amp on)
    • I would prefer a wall mount although a stand would not be the end of the world
    • I need a tuner box which supports SECAM aswell as PAL (I am in France at the mo but may return to the UK in a few years)
    • I watch 65% SKY and 35% DVDs - would like to be able to watch French tele to perfect the language though!
    • I would prefer a separate tuner box so I can hide all the connecters away
    • I would like PIP if possible as my current TV has it and I find it useful to keep an eye on sport when the missus is trying to watch something else...
    Recommendations on this board seem to be for the Panasonic and the Hitachi. Would either of those fulfill these criteria? Can I pick up a cheaper 5 series pany or should I pay the extra for the new ones? It gets so confusing as to which come with tuners etc. as they all have different model numbers!

Any advice gratefully received!

2. rosbif

rosbif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone? :eek:

3. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    The Pioneer 503 and 43 ((hde models only) not sure bout mxe models you'd have to check) have twin source selection, meaning you can watch terrestial tv on one side of screen and cable/sky/dvd/teletext on the other. Or any combination of the above including... and ive done this, PS2 on one side and xbox on other. But it doesn't have a twin tuner. Lots of connection too on the media box (external tuner box).

4. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At that price the only sensible option is the Hitachi 42pd3000. Comes with speakers, tuner box and a kick ass picture. I love mine. Got it to replace the pioneer mxe that was a bit dissapointing on normal TV.

5. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it really the only sensible option? Is the five series Panasonic screen that much worse?

6. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +244
    The Hitachi 400E has no speakers but an Amp if you need it, with speaker connections fitted.
    It has 4 inputs and will show split screen (PIP)
    It is also Hi Def compatable if, or when you can get it.
    The speaker version is more expensive and not Hi Def, so the 400 is the the better buy - imo.
    Regards.

7. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Easy2BCheesy
    It's the only option that really matches the requirements because
    to get the Panasonic plasmas with TV tuner/speakers will come to quite a bit more than £3,000. Unless you pick up a series 5.
    Then the series-5 does not do PIP and IMO looks pretty rough using the matching tuner.

Steve

8. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But it doesn't have a tuner/SCART box does it?

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,938
    rosbif

Have you done any homework on the service support you are likely to get over in France from the major manufacturers.

It'll be mighty expensive if you get a panel only to find you cant get any local support - remember you wont automatically get in home support if you source in the UK.

I've supplied a few Pioneer HDE Plasma TV's to customers in France and Pioneer have a good network of service support in most areas - though your not going to get a Pioneer PDP-433HDE within your £3k budget.

(One feature of the Pioneer HDE I like is the option to fit the 'centre stereo' speaker to the bottom edge of the display - saves adding any additional width to the TV when its wall mounted).

Think of all of the Panasonic models as Displays (no tuner or TV like features) - the TU600 stand alone tuner can then be added to pretty much any PWD5 (Silver or Charcoal) or the new PWD6 (Silver or Charcoal) - you will sometimes see it bundled with the Silver 'Consumer' displays in Retail stores at a preferential price as a 'PlasmaTV'.

Best regards

Joe

10. trooper1212

trooper1212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    How can one hitachi be hi-def and the other one not then? Both the 3000 and 400E use the same screen.

11. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +244
    It is true- check the specs and the test reports.The 400e is Hi Def compatable - I have proved it. The tuner version is not.
    "Easy 2bcheesy": no, it has no tuner and no SCARTS, but if you have Freeview or $ky, you don't need an analogue tuner.
    All you will miss is some non BBC Teletext and foreign Satellite ditto. (I use an old Grundig SVhs VCR for Satellite teletext, but that's another story.)

12. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'm definitely getting a plasma within the next couple of weeks, and it's a toss-up between a Hitachi screen or the new Panasonic.

I'll be off to Sevenoaks though so I can see the differences for myself. If I can't pick up the flicker, I might even go for a cheapo fifth generation Panny.

13. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +244
    Yeh, go for it - get it wired up by next weekend and you can watch Silverstone F1.. !

14. trooper1212

trooper1212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The specs on the hitachi site state that both are 1024x1024?
    What else is necessary to enable hi-def? Got any links to to the test reports?

Not that I don't believe you, it's just the first i've heard of this and I don't really understand what is necessary for hi-def.

15. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +244
    A test report for the 400E is in the June issue of "Home Cinema Choice". The 3000E version (with the tuner) was reviewed in the April issue. Both have 1024 x1024 resolution, but only the 400E supports Hi Def at 720/60p, 1080/50i, 1080/60i, etc, etc. Page 66 of the April 2003 "HCC" states this, as does the review of the 400E. Also the 400E has PAP or PIP (depending on the sources)
    ie. Split screen or a smaller picture in picture mode. (Great for watching an alternative source for Formula 1 when the crapverts come on !!)

To see Hi Def in Europe, you need a US sourced D-VHS VCR which is D-Theater ready. Only JVC do this. There are 2 US models: the HM DH30000U which is very cheap at the moment - around £350 to import, or its replacement - the HM-DH 40000 which has just come out in the US, but for a much higher price.
    The last thing you need is a D-Theater Hi Def tape to play on it !! There are'nt very many, but to see is to be converted....
    Hope this helps everyone..
    Regards.
    PS. The 30000 also delivers digital surround sound from the tape, via an optical output. Good stuff !
    (PPS. There is no Hi Def on DVD just yet.)

16. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,938
    Hello all

Please remember the ALIS displays have to convert any Progressive input signal into an Interlaced signal before they can display it on the 1024x512 (pixel) display.

So you pay your extra cash for a Progressive DVD player and you then pay some more for your Plasma to turn it back into a Non Progressive signal!

Best regards

Joe

17. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Or perhaps you don't bother buying a prog scan dvd player?

18. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,938
    Wilber

Agreed - save your cash!

Joe