OK.... So I'm looking at a Samsung S59D550 Plasma.... should I or not????

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by guv69, Dec 7, 2011.

1. guv69

guv69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    My Ageing Panasonic TH42PX60 Plasma is probably long overdue an upgrade... even though its still going strong and still happy with the set.

However, it is only HD ready... Isnt 3D... and is a tad smaller than I want.

So, I've been looking around in the last few days and looking towards the SAMSUNG PS59D550C1KXXU which is available on offer from comet with 15% off (ends today) plus I also get a further 10% off for it though my work and an sms code, bringing it down from £1299 to £995 with 2 pairs of glasses

Im basically still unsure, even though thats a great price. I had previously looked at the 51" version, that with the discounts applied came out at £552 - however that seems to have been removed as of today for some reason! (It was also with 4 pairs of glasses at one point too!)

So... Internet stuff isnt something I want (to pay extra for) since I have a media centre connected (with full internet access) and my Sony 3D Blu-ray has it on it anyway.

Ive always told people to go Plasma over LCD, but I'm not unsure. Plus the one factor that frightens me a bit going up to this size screen is the power consumption figures. Anyone know what the difference in running costs is for this to a LED set - or even the smaller 51" version?

Got loads to ask, but to be fair most are really just personal taste things.....

So should I or shouldn't I?

Personal opinions most welcome.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  2. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
  3. guv69

guv69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Thanks scooby..... So cost to run isn't really too much of a factor in the bigger scheme of things.

It's just going to be used for tv, sat tv and films via my server, though I have just added a blu-ray player. (can't believe I've only just bought one... I'm normally one of those paying a huge premium when new kit comes out. Never really saw much difference over DVD to justify!

4. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Have you read the review? I forgot to ask, whats your seating distance?
    Other sets to look at are the Panasonic ST30, GT30 and Samsung D6900, at that size they cost more though, but worth considering at smaller sizes.

5. guv69

guv69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Yes, I had a brief look at them. Distance would be approx 15'

6. mjbtin

mjbtin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +635
    I have had the 59D550 for 2 weeks now and at 10ft viewing distance has already started to look small:eek:
    At 15ft I would go with the 59" over a 50":smashin:

Regards Martin