Ok so I'm a novice !

G

GaryS

Yep once a budding Hi FI freak with all the gizzmo's etc, but then marrige happened and then kids and I find myself "dumbing" down on the Hi Fi / Visual front. Not knowing anything about DVD's couple of questions.
1) Can they playback normal CD's and what is the quality
2) In ordert to reduce the number of "boxes" can DVD be connected to a set of HI FI speakers (Celestions in my case) with a seperate amp and still deliver a decent sound/volume.
3) Can you advise any good units.

Your valued advice much appreciated.

All DVD players can play original cd's (most current models can play CD-r, and some other formats)

The common thought on the quality of a DVD player at playing CD's is that a £200 cd player will be better than a £200 DVD player. But it's only marginal imho

(Most) DVD players do provide analogue left & right phono outputs so YES you can connect to speakers via an amp. Sound, quality, etc. probably as good as a cd player!?

I'm only familiar with the Toshiba 2109, and Toshiba 220 but I won't get laughed at for recommending Toshiba's to you...

Sorry, should have said this above: -

My old 2109 played CD's better than the Denon 920 cd player it replaced but couldn't play CD-R.

The new 220 plays CD, and various types of recordable cd formats, and also MP3!

Both have analogue stereo outputs for connection to an amp, or digital audio outputs for your next upgrade ;)

You mention via an amp. Does this mean I do ned to keep an amp to sit between the DVD and speakers.

I was hoping that some DVD's would have amps built in and thatI could connect these direct to the speakers.

You will need an amp for the audio output of the dvd player.

Some manufacturers have a range of hifi stuff that tends to be called "lifestyle" or similar.
One of those may have dvd player with built in amp :confused:

If you only go for a stereo setup, you will miss a great deal of what DVD is all about. The sound in 5.1 adds so much to the experience. Dont miss out.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom