1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ok so i need a little more help with my set-up....

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by thr5914, Aug 8, 2003.

1. thr5914

thr5914

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    right now i got some cheap ass 10$ sound card connected to my nice brand new DTS supported reciever.

i think its time i get a new sound card. i want one that can support DTS when i play a DVD, and when i play my MP3's (if thats possible).

anyway, whats the best card for the money i can get for that. im thinking the audigy 2 or someother card i saw on newegg (i forget what kind, maybe a santa cruz or something).

any suggestions?

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    You can get co-ax spdif from the Soundblaster 4.1 - you just need a mono 3.5 jack to phono adapter from Maplins (£1.50).

Spdif may sound better on more expensive cards like the Audigy, but for genuine improved sound, I believe you need something like the M-Audio range which have 6 analogue outputs to feed six inputs on an external amp.

Gary.

3. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I find the SPDIF output on my m-audio delta 410 superior to the analogue outs to my Pioneer 2011.

I have the M-Audio control panel set to upsample to 96kHz and use ASIO output from Winamp for music.

The 96kHz signal to the receiver gives a much more open, detailed and dynamic sound than the phono connectors.

in fairness, I'm using bog standard analogue cables. I look forward to acquiring decent inter connects to see if that improved matters in the analogue department somewhat.

I'm particularly interested in this as I'm gearing up to use the HTPC as a preamp/processor and will therefore be connecting sound card audio directly to a poweramp so quality analogue signal is crucial.

The Delta 410 is a great card, the Revolution is reportedly better but has fiddly connections. Those in the know recommend RME hardware for the best possible output.

Hope that helps

Peter

4. owenw

owenw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Where did you get your m-audio delta410?
    is the sp/dif output comparable (or better) than that which comes from a dvd player?
    I've read that PC soundcards don't compare favourably with dvd players on sound quality, is this the caes?

thanks,
    Owen

5. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Hi Owen

Got my Delta from http://www.digitalconnection.com/ but I'm sure I've seen European stockists since.

The issue of camparative quality is one of much debat at present. There is a movement to use HTPS as audio processor/pre-amp and proponents of such an approach would argue that the sound quality avaiable from top-end soundcards exceeds that of many high-end processors costing much more.

Of course, there are critics as well and as with all these things you need to read and read and then try it out for yourself!

I'm very happy with the stereo quality from my 410. SPDIF surround is also excellent though my current project is to try to a software decoding solution for Dolby & DTS (which will co-exist with Xcard/H3D hardware decoding). This would allow me by-pass a receiver completely and output multi-channel audio directly to a power amp.

Anyway, I can't really comment on quality vs. DVD deck as I've not plugged a decent DVD unit into my system.

Peter

6. owenw

owenw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Peter,

Thanks for the info.

This project using your HCPC as a surround processor/pre-amp sounds interesting. With the rapid changes in the technology this would be a great way to keep on top of it without breaking the bank.

I'd imagine a good (semi)pro audio card would have higher quality components to an AV receiver/ processor, however the question of electronic interference from other devices in the PC comes into play.

Let us know how you get on.

Owen