1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok read which hard drive forum.. but

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by sp33dy, Jul 20, 2005.

1. sp33dy

sp33dy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, I've ordered the screw driver heads for openning up box. I've read through almost all 18 pages of the sticky post. I've had a good hunt round for 5400rpm maxtor drives which seem to be becoming rare. Am I right here or is there a good link out there?

I personally have hated Maxtors in PC's. I've owned three, they all fried within a year or so of purchase. For the past three years, I've only purchase Seagate Barracudas. Anyone know if they are any good?

I've got a V2 box to be upgraded and looking at a 200 or 250Gb drive. Any recommendation that works?

2. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Samsung have recently introduced a new 250gb 5400rpm "CE" drive, the HA250JC.

It's super-quiet, runs cool, has received excellent reviews and has proved superb for upgrading TiVos. I've handled quite a few and they seem like excellent drives. Whether it will work in a Sky+ I have no idea, but if other Samsung drives do, then I see no reason why it shouldn't. :smashin:

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The Maxtor 4R160L0 can be had from Technoworld for about £58 inc. VAT. They do have regular supplies, but they sell out pretty quick. They currently appear to have 8 in stock.

Maxtor QuickView drives are fitted in Sky+ boxes from new.

You can use 7200rpm drives, but they run warmer, and consume more power. I've had a Maxtor 200GB 7200rpm drive in my Pace V2 for over a year now with no problems, but the fan does come on occasionally. I've just fitted a 4R160L0 in my Pace V1 in the other room.