1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok problem with dust...inside the lens?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mi_july, Apr 9, 2005.

1. mi_july

mi_july

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all,
    Was recently flicking through the pages of one of the av magazines to find a review of the Benq PE5120 it said one of its drawbacks was that it had a design flaw that meant dust could build up inside the lens. Now I have a Benq PB6200 and love it to bits, the picture quality is actually very good considering the money and I am constantly impressed with it, but it appears I have dust inside the lens, I have contacted Benq technical service...still awaiting a reply but i was wondering what you guys thought could be a possible remmedy to this, is there anyway of blowing dust out of the inside of the lens? getting kind of long... many thanks alex

2. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Dust inside the lens?? That cant be good.

Well if dust can get in them there must be a way to blow it out you would think. Get a can 'air'...... struggling to rememberf the technical name for it or its actual name however, its canned air and its for cleaninh PC's etc the air comes out at an amazing pressure and you can get dust out of anything!!!

3. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Dust inside a projector lens always looks worse than it really is due to the intense beam of light from the lamp.

It's unlikely (unless it's very badly contaminated) that it wll affect picture quality. You will not see any dust particles projected on the screen from dust on any of the lens elements as they would be so far out of focus. If you are seeing dust particles on the screen, they will be in the light engine, not the lens.

Jeff :rtfm:

4. kelaD

kelaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't spray compressed air inside the projector unless you're very knowledgeable of its layout. You might dislodge things!!

5. mi_july

mi_july

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, well it looks light dust blobs with lcd models, i just jumped to conclusions when i read that review of the PE5120, so if its in the light engine, any way of sorting it out? theres no form of documentation that i can find either in the instruction manual or on the internet.

6. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I had dust blobs in my PB6100 and BenQ resolved the problem.
    They even gave me a temp projector while the other one was being repaired.
    Good service.

7. mi_july

mi_july

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ahh thanks for that, they said it could be cured by blowing pressured air throught the open cavity where the lamp is... problem solved

8. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Good to know in future. Thanks.