Ok poll to silence the xbox 360 - I only hope microsoft takes note.

Do you wish microsoft to quieten the xbox 360?

• Yes ?

Votes: 84 82.4%
  • No ?

Votes: 18 17.6%

• Total voters

Nabs

Ok a poll to silence the xbox 360 I only wish microsoft will take note.

D

Deleted member 92943

I'd love to know how they can make the 10 million 360's sold already quiet?

Nabs

They could quite easily offer an optional upgrade - service and switch the dvd rom + fans! - that may make a significant difference in the first place, without cutting one off as having a tampered machine!

[email protected]

I couldnt care less if its 'noisy' or not, I honestly have never noticed. My washing machine is noisy though, ive noticed that. I wonder if microsoft could quieten my washing maching.

Seriously, I would rather MS channeled resources into other things than waste time and money on something so irrelevant.

Nabs

Then you must have the volume high. So many people have issues with the noise when one looks at the number of threads on the subject on various websites that it is not irrelevant. However the fact 10 million have sold shows people are still willing to buy one. Buy the way my thought was an optional upgrade - I did not say it was going to be draining microsoft resources - in fact if they allow 3rd parties to perform an upgrade and they took a slice they would make more money!

Guns_LotsOfGuns

Moderator/Games Reviewer
They could quite easily offer an optional upgrade - service and switch the dvd rom + fans! - that may make a significant difference in the first place, without cutting one off as having a tampered machine!

I think its unrealistic to expect them to offer a upgrade for something which is arguably (depends on the individual) a non issue.

However they are addressing this with the newer chipset and 65nm chip which are supposed to run cooler and therefore are alot quieter, there have also been a couple threads about people who have bought consoles with recent build dates, which are reportedly alot quieter than older builds.

So maybe the best idea would be to trade in your old box for a new one or if it appealing to you wait for the elite.

For the noise issues depeneds wether i have my headphones on or not really, which is 90% of the time, i never watchmovies on it so noise doesnt really have a chance to bug me really.

S

SquintingBadger

I've been using my PS2 recently, and I have to say I notice the noise on that just as much as the 360.

Mattk84

Banned
I voted yes as of course I want it to be quieter but i also know full well that this will not happen on models already sold!

Brutos

I also voted yes but Microsoft have already quietened the new 360's and they are not going upgrade the units already sold so :confused:

ukkev2000

I wonder if microsoft could quieten my washing maching.
My Bosch washing machine is silent, it's teh PS3 of washing machnes :D

I thought the poll was "pls MS design a quiet one", which I'm whole heartedly in favour of. This is because my 360 sits on the the shelf next to the sofa whereas my washing machine is in a utility room :thumbsup:

[email protected]

Then you must have the volume high. So many people have issues with the noise when one looks at the number of threads on the subject on various websites that it is not irrelevant. However the fact 10 million have sold shows people are still willing to buy one. Buy the way my thought was an optional upgrade - I did not say it was going to be draining microsoft resources - in fact if they allow 3rd parties to perform an upgrade and they took a slice they would make more money!

Fair enough and I'm sure the yes votes will FAR outway the no's but I can only vote based on my opinion and my opinion is that there is no issue whatsoever with the sound that the 360 makes. It seems that people have latched onto the noise and use it against the 360 all the time and I just dont understand why. Lets be honest, who REALLY cares about a small hum that you can barely hear when the sound system falls silent??

I had a PS3 and that doesnt seem to get slated for the sound but there are times when it is just as loud as the 360. Seems that if thats all people have to moan about microsoft have done a pretty good job.

Catsmeat

In terms of game playing I think it's quiet enough - the fan noise isn't going to distract you when you're dodging bullets or belting round a racetrack.

However, Microsoft are also trying to position this as a media client to sit in your lounge. For this use it's unacceptably loud. People wouldn't be happy if their sky box or DVD player made that much noise.

So I vote yes and no depending on the use :)

Spinke

Intend on ripping mine apart and doing anything I can to quieten it down, drives me crazy!

Saldawop

Distinguished Member
If they make a quieter one, great. If not, no problem. Sound does not bother me in the slightest , even though when playing games, I am sat approximately 3-4ft from the console.When watching HD-DVD I am approximately 9ft away, and yes I can hear it during quiet scenes but again, does not bother me.

PS Did not vote, as the option for DON'T CARE is not there .

Mark Botwright

Distinguished Member
Well if like me you live in a house with people who don't like gunshots and screaming blaring out of the TV, you'd simply invest in a decent pair of headphones. You can have it as loud as you want at any ungodly hour and not hear the fan.:smashin:

RandomLee

Distinguished Member
Intend on ripping mine apart and doing anything I can to quieten it down, drives me crazy!

If you're happy to open it up then I'm sure I heard there's modded firmware that stops the dvd drive spinning at full speed all the time. Not sure if it's for all drives though.

You'd have to check xbox-scene for more info as I'm not doing anything to mine until the warranty is out so I havent read much into it and could be totally wrong.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
I voted "no" simply because the noise coming from the 360 doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I have one of the launch Hitachi drive consoles which from what I understand is the noisiest of them all. I can't understand what all the fuss is about for playing games as surely people have the volume of their tv/amps up for playing anyway?

I guess I can see how it could be a slight irritation for watching quite scenes in dvds but I don't tend to use my consoles as dvd players, rather give my dvd player the wear & tear.

Spinke

If you're happy to open it up then I'm sure I heard there's modded firmware that stops the dvd drive spinning at full speed all the time. Not sure if it's for all drives though.

Modding the firmware & using xbox live is not a good idea. I don't particularly want to get banned since 90% of my use of the console is on xbox live!

McPhee

TBH I dont care about the noise when im playing games.

Am i right in saying that the Spring Update is going to slow the fans down when playing DVDs/Videos/Music? If it does then i'll be happy

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom