1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK. Poll on my Moral Dilemma

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Trickster, Apr 30, 2004.

?
  1. Stay quiet and keep it

28 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Tell them and see what they do

22 vote(s)
    39.3%
  3. Send it straight back

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. Trickster

Trickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After the conversation about the rights and wrongs of my decision to keep the DVD erroneously sent to me. (See Moral Dilemma thread). I am suggesting a poll.

Would you keep it, tell them & see what they do, or send it straight back.

2. doncorleone

doncorleone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't see what the big deal is, only one dvd and not like you intentionally did it.

I had the same kinda thing happen, I bought a cd, it didnt come for 3 weeks, so I asked for another one to be sent, so they did and both cd's came together, so I just sold the other one

3. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I think the fact that you are actually asking people whether to keep it indicates that you have issues with it, and therefore probably know that it is wrong.

By the way, this is technically theft and there are provisions in the Theft Acts which deal with this.

4. Trickster

Trickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never said I thought it was right. Just interested in other peoples views.

If you found five pounds in the road, would you keep it?

I would, but if I found £100, I would take it to the nearest police station.

5. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I'm not saying whether it is morally right or wrong, I am merely responding to this and the other thread.

If you want to keep it, keep it. I doubt anyone is going to think that you're dishonest if you did this!

It's just that you seem to be seeking aproval, and to me, that indicates a guilty ish conscience, otherwise, why not just email them and ask them, surely that is the best way?

That way, you will have a clear conscience if they tell you to keep it, but the downside is that they may ask you to return it...

6. Trickster

Trickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not seeking approval at all. I don't care what anonymous people think of me. I just thought it was a good topic of conversation.

For what it's worth, I am a big supporter of online retailers and buy from them alot. I don't make duplicate copies of films and don't download songs for free.

The way I see it is that I got lucky and why not be grateful for some luck in my favour for a change.

I'm merely telling people what happened and asking them what they would do.

7. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think it depends on what sort of person you are. If you're the type who likes dealmaking and perhaps even takes a little pride in "putting one over" on other people, you'll keep it. If you like to think of yourself as honest to a fault, you'll send it back and get a nice virtuous glow. My guess is that you'll keep it as if you were the second type you wouldn't regard it as a dilemma at all.

8. Trickster

Trickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I could also compare this to people who buy DVD's from abroad and keep quiet if Customs fail to catch them.

Thats in effect the same thing.

9. valhalla

valhalla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No it isn't.

This has happened to me on many occasions, and it's mainly due to my impatience with th ePostal service and my requesting another item to be sent out.

The vast majority of e-tailers are excellent in my opinion and thereofre deserve my support in keeping them afloat, if not in very healthy shape. If more people send goods back when this happens, prices will remain as low for us all.

10. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aren't most retailers insured so even if you do keep it they don't lose anything and are re-imbursed off the post office ?

11. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Personally I would feel guilty about keeping it without informing the retailer of the mistake, to see what they wanted to do.

12. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    If you truly support online retailers, you have answered your own question.

13. valhalla

valhalla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly.

Since my spouting post, 7 people have voted "let the retailer know", and zero have voted "keep it".

14. Trickster

Trickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But valhalla, you claim it's because of your own impatience. Fine. I ordered something, sent two emails to cancel it, phoned them to confirm cancellation. Yet they still sent it to me!!! Why should I try any harder? If the company is so inneficient in its admin, then surely they will lose by way of its own accord.