Ok, Please help! Questions about DVI, sound and DVI

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by swbook, May 11, 2005.

1. swbook

swbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all!

I'm in the process of buying a dish + sat reciever with Sky Digital. This is mainly because the wife loves Law & Order(I do too) and then I can watch Sci-Fi channel etc.

I've heard that the Panasonic TU-DSB 30 should be great, especially if you live outide the UK. Problem is, I can't find any information on it. Nothing. Does it have RGB through SCART? Does it have digital sound output?

Which leads to me a more pressing manner. I really, really need DVI or SDI output. Are there any box with DVI output, that will work with SKY? at reasonable prices? :)

Oh, and what's this about phone-lines? Do they need that, and what do they do?

I should note that I know NOTHING about all this, only the video :(

Thanks for your time.

2. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Plenty of hits on Google for it. Like:

"These boxes a fetch a premium and are well regarded by many. They are good performing boxes with smaller dishes. One month guarantee. I no longer sell the troublesome TU-DSB 30." :)

Seem to be regarded as a decent box for low signal strength.

"Does it have RGB through SCART?"

Most likely, yes it will. Most SKY STB's do anyway, I can't see why this would be different.

"Does it have digital sound output?"

I doubt it very much. SKY+ is the only service that I know of which broadcasts some channels in digital/5.1. I don't know of any standard boxes which have a digital sound output, there wouldn't be any point.

"Are there any box with DVI output, that will work with SKY?"

Not at the moment. I'm sure there will be when they launch their HD service. Again, there would be no point in putting a DVI port on a normal SKY box; the broadcast quality is bad enough via RGB ;)

"Oh, and what's this about phone-lines? Do they need that, and what do they do?"

On a new SKY contract you are required to plug a phone line into the box. They use it for interactive content like games and stuff.