OK PDP43XDE or TH42PV500 order today!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by nicksurrey72, Jun 1, 2005.

1. nicksurrey72

nicksurrey72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I will be placing an order later today for my new screen.

I have read many opinions on both of these panel, but I still can't make up my mind!

The pioneer looks nicer, but the panny picture quality looks better. Especiallt when running sky!

So which one.

I will be running the Sky and DVD signal from my Denon 3803 via component.

90% viewing is via sky+

Please help me choose!

Thanks

Nick

2. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mate the pio is awful on Sky..or any other analogue source. its very good on HD via HDMI..

Go for the Panny and you wont go wrong. Promise!

3. nickeddle

nickeddle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    As every one always says Nick,try to see both screens and then its down to personal preference.
    I`m very happy with my pioneer but have not seen the new panny.
    Best of luck.

4. des_pd_ tdi

des_pd_ tdi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen both fed from quality sources.

The Pioneer has an ever so slighlty sharper image but the colours on the Panasonic are much more deeper and this ultimately won it for me.

Plus it's approx £400/500 cheaper and comes supplied with a wall bracket or stand and speakers are built in.

Freeview on the panny is excellent as are hdmi fed DVD's. Sky is better than I was expecting.

Des

5. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Was in same dilema, place an order on the pioneer ,then read endless reviews of how poor it is when it comes to handling sky. Since i watch sky/dvd 80/20 i decided sky was equally as important as we can take dvd quality for granted.
    I ordered the panasonic 37pv500, but the pioneer is still one sexy plasma!

6. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Having owned both and the pioneer was returned after 5 days.

I am so happy with the pv500, I mainly watch sky and the pv500 is soooooooooo much better than the pio, not just a little but better but MILES better, was sick of seeing peoples faces been only made of 5 shades of colour on sky this is what happend when I watched my fav show Stargate, not shot with the best quality cameras I know but its perfect on the pv500, but I will say DVD playback on the pio was great no gripes there.

Just when you watch 90% of programs with sky+ you have to go with what works best for it, and I am sure all the pio owners will get as great results with there plasmas when using sky HD box viewing SD material via HDMI.

I also think that the photo viewer on the Pio435 xde gave better pictures than the pv500, but I mainly watch sky so this is why I bought it.

And I have to say I loved the looks of the 435xde very nice.

If sky was better on the 435xde I would still own it, its a real shame.

Dino

7. Damo9424

Damo9424

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would ntl/telewest also give a bad picture like Sky + ?

Damo

8. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    All I can say is that if as Dino mentions the sky picture is miles better on the pv500 then it must be out of this world as the sky picture on my xde is excellent. It has definately improved as the first 200 hours have been clocked up as it was a bit hit and miss initially. But now it has eased itself in it looks fine to me. But if the PV500 is much better then this has got to be the benchmark.

As has been said best to get a look at both, if you can't see much difference in pq then it comes down to looks and this is when the pio edges it.

9. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well said BIGMAX :smashin:

10. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I'm obviously biased,but as I've said before ,perhaps not as biased as some panny owners.There is only one way to make this decision Nick.Yes,it's time consuming and yes it's difficult to see both screens properly set up and alongside each other,but you're spending a great deal of money AND you're going to be watching it for a long time,so you've got to go and see them both and decide which one you like.No one can make this decision for you.When you buy it,no matter what you decide,then you will enjoy it.
    Good luck,
    Ian

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    will most likely be even worse!

12. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I am also not the biased type, its simply what is the better picture on sky, and for me the pv500 has it by a long way.

As for dvd playback guess they are about the same from what I remember.

Pictures looked better on the 435xde with the card reader

and the 435xde has it in the looks dept

As I said I would still own the 435 if the sky picture was better, and was tempted to keep it till I could feed it with standard def stuff with HMDI from the sky HD box, but temptaion got the better of me, I liked the looks of the pio that much and still do.

The 435xde I had also had over 200 hours on it, by the time the dealer came to collect it :) and it looked no better to me, and I suggest BIGMAX that you go and look at one connected to sky with a good RGB connection and tell me and every one here it doesn't look MILES better, and if you can I think your bias, I am not and would of dearly loved the pio pic to be better, but the simple fact is its not. as much as I want it to be.

And If they could fix the problem I would switch tomorrow!!

Dino

13. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Dino,

I'm not trying to be biased or arguementative here, I was just saying that the PV500 must be a fantastic screen if it is much better with sky than the xde. I've no problem with that and if I was buying a plasma now rather than a few months ago I would seriously think about the new panny especially if it displayed better images from sky.

I'm not into the "my plasma is best" debate I was just thinking that the new panny must be awsome as the XDE is such a good screen IMHO. It all bodes well for the future as the manufacturers continue to raise their game.

14. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Nor was I :)

I am the same as you by the sounds of it, happy to agree that if something is better then its better regardless of if I own it or not :) I must admit I do love the pioneer looks, I would be pretty happy if I was in ur shoes to be honest, as when the new sky box comes out with HDMI for SD as well as HD I am sure the pio will be stunning :) jpegs on it look so much more 3d some how than on the pv500.

I can say this though I don't think I would change a 435xde for the pv500 and lose a load of money it now, not with sky HD so close, I would be waiting for that digital feed from sky with standard def :) before losing a grand or so, but if buying now there is no doubt the pv500 wins hands down with sky at the minute.

If I am honest I bought the pv500 on viewing sky via RF and I thought it looked better on RF than the pio did with rgb or s-video, as I have said both screens have areas that they seem better than the other, personally it was sky that swung it for me.

Dino

15. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Nice one dino,

I wish I could view jpegs on my screen but as I have mentioned in another thread I can't get the home gallery to display images from an sd card via my pcmia type 2 adapter and it's doing my head in.

As you say, shall be interesting to see the sky quality once the hd box becomes available and how much better the sd material will look through a digital connection.

16. expat

expat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Would somebody please help out a non-Brit here? (I'm an expat American...)
    My TV reception is DVB-S (Astra digital). What is the British equivalent of this?

Thanks!

17. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +866
    Why has no-one mentioned contrast yet? The Pio 435XDE has been top of the pile since it came out, but you never see it demo-ed on Sky in a dark room, and the PV500 does do proper blacks.

18. albany

albany
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw an XDE on display at Dixons on Tuesday and the PQ was not only bad it was shocking :eek:

I know it was probably setup by a 16yo yoof and not using it's best HDMI connection but even so it was very poor. Much poorer than I would have expected. The image was not sharp and looked highly pixellated. The 32" Sony Wega LCD next to it was in a different league. Even better were the CRT's that cost a fraction. The only thing the XDE seemed to have going for it was that it was thin.

I immediately crossed it off my list of potentials. Never seen the new Panny so can't comment.

19. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've seen loads of xde's at different electrical "superstores" and they were all crap and put me off a bit but then again all the other plasmas on display in these shops look poor. You need to see one properly set up with sky and dvd etc.

Before I got mine I hadn't seen the screen display digital satellite but took the plunge anyway cos I liked the look of the screen so much. When I got all set up I was amazed at the quality of sky on most channels as I was expecting the worse.

Properly set up screens are the only way to demo.

20. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136

Have you setup the directory structure correctly ??

If you have tried this then I have no idea, but if you have not it should work.

first clear the sd of everything

make a directory called DCIM on the SD card

go in to that dir and make a new one called 100_DINO now go into it

Place you JPG in this folder using the following details

make sure all JPG's have a 8 digit file system ie A1001234.jpg or A1231234.jpg

so when ur finished you should have a load of pics in a directory called
    100_DINO

A1231234.JPG
    B1231234.JPG
    Z1231234.JPG
    A1111234.JPG

you get the idea :)

The system is called DCF (Design rule for Camera File system

Panny uses the same system and wont display a thing unless it is layed out like above.

Dino

21. albany

albany
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take your point and understand that. I know plasma's need setting up, perhaps more so than other displays, but even when you take that into account any £2500 monitor that displays an image like the XDE did in any circumstance is not worth considering to me personally. There was another plasma near to it that looked superior with the same feed and was presumably setup by the same people. Unfortunately my memory escapes me but I think it was a Sony and even that was not that exciting.

The picture on my 13" £100 Toshiba CRT in my bedroom was better and clearer than the XDE.

22. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I haven't seen the new panny yet. My concern with the older pannys was that I could see picture flicker on the low res models and returned a panny 6 because of that. Apparently the HD versions didn't have this problem but I haven't been paying much attention to the new models and don't know if they're high res or not (apologies for my ignorance).

After much deliberation, I ended up with a pio 435XDE to avoid the "flicker". However, it is far from perfect in other ways. I tried a 434 for a few weeks prior to the 435 and found that the 434 picture was better. Analogue pictures were dealt with far more effectively on the 434: they look a lot more blurry and grainy on the 435.

or some reason I've yet to discover why, I seem to get more colour banding on the 435 than on the 434. However, there was far more banding on the panny 6 than either of the pio screens.

Another source of irritation is the buzzing the panel makes when displaying dark images: the 434 didn't do that.

I also find irritating the pio "feature" that means that any line displayed on screen "ghosts" and continues to the end of the screen. This happened on the 434 and the 435. Didn't happen on the panny or on a sony LCD 42" screen that I tried.

The pio 434 juddered when scrolling sideways: the 435 doesn't. Overall the panny was better for football etc and also incidentally, for most PS2 games (I understand that xbox hi def is excellent on the pio but have not seen it myself).

Strangely enough, the sony LCD gave easily the best picture from the PS2. The s-vid picture on that was miles better than RGB, s-vid or component on the pio or the panny.

Oh and finally, as regards darkened rooms, I've given up watching films in the dark now as the pio is absolutely terrible in a dark room but having said that, so was the panny 6 despite having "better" blacks.

In short, if I had to pick one from the current batch, I'd say that I'd buy a panny if it doesn't flicker. Having said that, if the Sony had a HDMI input, it would be the one sitting on my wall.

Final comment: buy big. I'm one of those that thought a 42" screen would be large enough for my room. I wish I'd bought a 50" now :)

Good luck with whatever you decide and I really hope that you enjoy it.

23. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    My tolerance levels for picture quality are obviously a bit higher than others as I am not noticing the above mentioned problems. Sky picture is fine, Freeview picture is fantastic and dvd pictures are stupendous.

Saying that I do have a couple of stuck pixels that have reared their ugly head. Hoping they click back into place.

If you are the ultra critical type the XDE is probably not the one to go for but if you want a cracking looking tv hanging on your wall looking sexy as **** then your sorted !!

24. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    What did you end up buying, nick?