1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok now I am annoyed - I shouldnt have done it !!!!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rags, Jun 14, 2004.

1. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    After two weeks or so of Plasma ownership I decided like a muppet to do a dead pixel check. Ran a dark screen and nothing showed up on close inspection. Then onto a light blue screen and it smacked me in the face - one brown/black pixel just off left centre. No one had noticed it before and now I wished I hadnt done it :suicide: . TBH I cant see it from more than 6 foot away event when trying to look for it (and knowing where it's located) on a blue screen.

Just spoke to my supplier and he will replace it for me but there are no guarantees that the next one could be better (infact per him one is not a bad result!!). He installed about 50 of them and only had about 10 with with no dead/stuck pixels.

What do you reckon I should do ????

2. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741
    Change it. A dead pixel close to the centre is unforgivable imho. Out of 50 installs, if only 10 are 100% then your dealer is either VERY unlucky or lying through his teeth. (imho of course;)

3. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    He's probably exaggerating but to be fair he did say that he would replace it if I so wished.

4. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Is it also true that you can get dead/stuck pixels at any time ? So even if its not DOA you can still get them at a later point in time ? Im concerned as whenever I have replaced a product the replacement always seems to be worse in some way !

5. Singh

Singh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    my 504 has a stuck pixel (red) too... personally i don't see the fuss... can't notice it to tell you the truth unless i'm less than 1m or so next to the screen... the only point in getting it changed is if it is a known fact that having one stuck pixel can cause problems later on... but this is not the case, right?

6. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Pioneer arent willing to take the Plasma back as one pixel isnt enough to justify a swapout. Both the dealer and I have discussed it with Pioneer but to no avail.

Anyway to cut a long story short once Pioneer refused, my dealer stepped up to the plate and agreed to swap it out himself (without any prompting from me) - now thats what I call service and the reason why I feel high value items should be bought from a dealer you know well rather than an etailer 200 miles away :)

7. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what happens if the new plasma has 3 stuck pixals??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

8. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well 1 pixel isn't enough imo. When can build a screen with about 1million pixels and have 3 dead pixels that is pretty good imo. It is under their terms and conditions of the product replacement so they don't have to do anything about it.

BUT great of your retailer replacing it for you. Now lets hope you spend more of your dosh there and pay a bit more for the service you know you can get off him :D

Koing

9. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300

Will check it before it is installed.

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Hello Rags

Great that your supplier is resolving your problem - though he/she must ask especially for all the screens with stuck pixels if 40 out of the last 50 have been duff!!!

Also just a word for us 'online' retailer types if I may - every display we (TMF) supply is taken out of its box and tested for dead pixels BEFORE we deliver them to our customers; the vast majority of whom are not within 200 miles of our premises.

Pixels can be stuck or dead - can go bad 'in life' and equally can come back to life 'in life'.

I have to say we get very few pixel issues these days - though as you've seen the odd problem does arise.

Best regards

Joe

11. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Just like to say Joe that I think that I think that's great customer service. :thumbsup:

One of my gripes with the whole pixel thing is that it seems to be getting less and less common and, if that's the case, why are firms still sticking to the same pixel tolerances? I could understand if, in the beginning for example, only perhaps one in ten was likely to be perfect, but if it's now the opposite then I don't think that they can justify saying that it's within tolerances. If they can get 90% perfect then I don't think it's fair to fob the other 10% off. :nono:

Oh, and I would never blame the retailer in these circumstances: I have considerable sympathy for their position. I blame the manufacturers, pure and simple.

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    reckless

We try to find a way to filter any screens with stuck or dead pixels into corporate 'signage' solutions where its less critical that every pixel is active.

I believe Revox offer a 100% pixel guarantee on their Displays - though you pay a mighty premium for that extra cover.

I guess also its down to individual retailers to make the hardware supplier aware of what they are trying to achieve with thier customers and strike an acceptable balance when a problem arises.

Best regards

Joe