1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK, Not getting much response here...

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Gasue, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Gasue

Gasue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Asked a question about connecting my new Panny TX32PH40, Panny CV52 DVD and 830BS VCR. Maybe I was a bit general with the question. What I want to know is what leads are the best to use combining economy with quality - I don't really want the £50 touch SCART leads! Also what are the best combinations of connections? Which device to use on RGB SCART etc...

Also getting EMR30 DVD-Recordable when available and need the same answers for this.

Cheers,

Hopeful for an answer this time!

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Didn't your supplying dealer optimise everything for you when installing, including the right cables?
    The Panasonic TX32PH40 has two RGB inputs (AV1 and AV4), use these for DVD and DVD recorder, use AV2 for VCR.
    Contact your dealer, a free of charge follow-up visit by their engineer should resolve any set-up issues, standard leads required are usually supplied by most dealers at no charge with a package like yours.
    Standard fully screened scarts all you need for VCR, Sky, but you may benefit from Ixos/QED Sqart with DVD/DVD recorder. I have the posh cables and didn't really see much difference, if honest.

3. Gasue

Gasue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well purchased from Curry's. Wasn't overly happy with service, but got vouchers for wedding so had no choice really! They tried to sell me extra cables, but they only had monster cables and these were like £25 each and I need 5. They will set it up, but it's one of those thing's I would rather do myself than trust the Curry's man.

4. Gasue

Gasue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another question...

I assume AV1, 2 & 3 are SCART sockets on the rear of the set, but guess AV4 will be phono connectors? Will this be on the front or back?

Cheers for help so far!

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    REAR
    AV1 - 21 Pin Full Function With RGB In
    AV2 - 21 Pin AV In/Out And S-Video In
    AV4 - 21 Pin AV In/Out And S-Video In/RGB In

FRONT
    AV3 - 4 Pin S-Video In And RCA Video In

So AV4 on rear, ignore component video inputs until DMR-E30 (has component video outputs) apparently. ( Panasonic U.K. Sourced DMR-30 has no component video outputs )

6. Gasue

Gasue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to mention I have SCART Sky Digital as well. Sorry for hassle. Great to get the help I'm getting here though - think I'll be using this forum more.

I guess what I do is:

DVD to AV1 via Gold SCART
    SKY to VCR to AV4 via Gold SCART

and then when DVDR comes:

DVD to AV1 via Gold SCART
    SKY to VCR to AV2 via Gold SCART
    DVDR to AV4 via another connector?

Curry's don't know that much (in store) so this is very helpful.

Cheers.

7. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Depends on your viewing......
    AV1 - DVD --- RGB
    AV2 - VCR
    AV4 - SKY --- RGB

Connect VCR to Sky Digibox with an additional scart to ease recording.
    When DMR-E30 turns up, you'll want to record from Sky using DVD-RAM instead, so have a swap about then.
    Personally, return the VCR and buy Skyplus+ instead......much simpler to use, record one Sky channel while watching another, and much better quality if archiving recordings onto DVD-R.....and one less box to integrate :) .

8. Gasue

Gasue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't Sky+ another box anyway?

Still need VCR to get things from VHS to DVD when DMRE30 comes. Can relegate kids to conservatory after where all their stuff is on VHS. How much does a Sky+ box cost, does it need further subscription and if so is there another type of device that doesn't?

9. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just a suggestion......:)

Yes, Skyplus+ is a box but it replaces two boxes, ( VCR and Sky),
    the old Sky can move to another room, and any old VCR will do for copying old VHS onto DMR-E30, ( it cleans up old recordings to improve them), if you are buying the DVD recorder, do you really need the CV-52?
    If it was me I would keep the tv, swap the vcr and dvd player for Skyplus+ and wait for the DMR-30. It's not for me though, so your needs may differ.
    With you needing to use Currys I don't know what they charge for Skyplus+, probably £299 plus £50 installation then £10 per month. Best £10 you could spend!

10. Gasue

Gasue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky+ sounds good.

Don't need to use Curry's anymore - just had enough for TV! :)

5-disk player is good idea for me as I have access to all movies on SVCD (I know about quality - ask no questions!) and saves changing between disks half way through film and can still watch 2 movies back to back without moving!

11. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Skyplus+ with your Panny is fantastic.

12. Gasue

Gasue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What else does Sky+ do then apart from obviously act as a digital recorder?

13. Gasue

Gasue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've now got the DMR-E30...

... Whats the best setup (cablewise) now? I would like to take VHS recordings to DVD & Sky to DVD as well as Sky to VHS. Seems like I don't have enough connectors for this? If not are these SCART splitters you see advertised any good or are they too lossy? I don't want to do anything that might upset the quality I'm getting otherwise!

14. Gasue

Gasue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, also carried on using old DVD and returned CV52 on Gringgots advice and waited patiently for DMR-E30 - glad I did seemed to come quite quickly really.

15. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

AV 1 - DMR-E30 RGB
    AV4 - Sky RGB
    AV2 - VHS

Scart from Sky to DMR-E30 too, assuming you will mostly want to record onto DVD-RAM / R rather than VHS.
    In addition by setting AV out in TV menu you will also be able to select feed onto VHS or DMR-E30.

16. Gasue

Gasue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was a bit late looking at replies as I've been busy playing - thanks again for your help though!

Had connected everything as you said as well as figuring Phono connections from VHS to AV3 on DMR-E30 to allow VHS to DVD-R/RAM recording - not bad for a complete novice! Now can record from and to everything necessary! (Is Phono better than the S-Video connector?)

There's a process to go through apparently to 'teach' DVD-R Sky Satellite channels, but after that it should all be good.

One thing that has confused me is that the VHS and DVD-R are both Q-Link compatible, which is great - the TV, however, only has a Q-Link compatible AV2, which isn't RGB - surely this is a mistake by Panny? The VHS is setup via Q-Link as I have had it for a while - if I disconnect temporarily and connect DVD-R and let it do Q-Link setup then connect it back to AV1 will this work? Otherwise I have to manually name and sort all DVD-R channels.

Any idea where to get a good priced Silver Sky receiver? (great if it's Panny!)