1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok newbie may look stupid here

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Arkham Insane, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Arkham Insane

Arkham Insane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've been reading arounf in this section for a bit and have a question.

Why would people who cancel sky then go and buy a freeview box? After cancelling and still viewing through the box you get all the freeview channels anyway except e4 and one or two other minor ones. Why spend money on another box unless you really like e4? Is there something im missing. my question regards boxes that do not facilatate a hard drive.

Also, would anyone who has cancelled sky go and by the bskyb freesat boxes? the extra channels are just filling, the main ones you still get with the box you have?

I ask because i was looking into getting a freeview box for more channels or any package but find that is you dont want a subscription its best to keep the sky box you already have as there is not much better out there? am i wrong?

cheers

2. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think it's more than just E4 that you get on Freeview as oppose to Freesat.

Plus, even thought the advertising for Freesat tells you there are more channels, quite a few of them seem to be of the paid-for-commercial channels.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    There are a number of benefits of a 'proper' Freeview box:

1) Ability to arrange channels to suit your needs/viewing habits

2) Better picture quality - at least on BBC channels

3) E4 (exclusively free on Freeview at present)

4) Top Up TV (if this 'light' subscription service is of any interest)

...plus you can select the ideal box that suits you needs with regards to handset design, EPG storage, speed of interactive services etc. Obviously PVRs such as the Topfield 5800 are also extremely popular as they offer free better-than-Sky+ functionality.