ok... New Versus Old Versus Something Different (Confused?)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Raze, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Was wondering what your guys thoughts are on the following...

I currently have a Toshiba 36PF and am looking for a good DVD player, I am considering these three options at present:

Option 1: I recently borrowed my Sisters Sony DVP-S725D just to see what it was like and have to say the Picture Quality and sound is amazing! Now this model is about 5 years old (and sold for about £500 at the time), now I cant afford a new one so tracked some down on Ebay - current price about £40 but £10 for delivery and I guess the ending price will be around £70 to £100.

Option 2: Buy a 'new' cheaper DVD player that could possibly match the picture and connection quality of the Sony mentioned above - has the technology moved on in five years? Would a 'new' dvd at around £150 match the quality of the five year old Sony??

Option 3: Chip my Xbox and get component leads to connect it via the component ins on the Tosh - has anyone done this? Is the quality anygood? or is it just a gimmick?

I've heard the the Toshiba SD 240 is around £45 in tescos! Is it any good? can it beat the 5 year old Sony?!

Doens anyone have any other advice? What do you think? Please your thoughts!

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Spend £100 ish on a Pioneer 717 would be my advice. Ive seen a lot of DVD-V players and unless your using a digital connection or component input for PAL prog I would go for a old battleship DVD-V player of yesteryear the image is pretty stunning IMO.

Toshibas are good players, but I dont think DVD-V player have improved into CRT TVs TBH. by as much as stated since the days of the Sony 725, 7700 or Pioneer 717, You can even pick up Denon 2800 for £200. The visuals supplied by my old 717 from the RGB scart was/is pretty stunning. HTHs and I hope you get an older player.

3. Spy

Spy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Hi Raze,

I have a Sony 725D and it is a great DVD player.

I am thinking of changing it for a newer model.

The reason I am changing is not for the picture - it has a great picture and sound on my Sony CRT.

The reason for changing and getting a cheap player (like the Pioneer 575) is that the older players (at least my Sony) do not play CD-R/RW discs or MP3

I wouild like this functionality and therefore need the change even though my Sony was £450 Vs the Pioneer that is £120 !

Also, if I upgrade my TV to an LCD or PLasma in the next couple of years, the Pioneer will already have Progressive Scan

I hope this helps

4. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I am more inclined to go down the same route as you Spy (sorry CJ!).
    Prog scan is quite important to me, but I would still be more than happy with a Sony DVP-S725D!