ok new plan :) best screen upto 30 inch

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by weebroonieuk, Oct 30, 2004.

Tags:
  1. weebroonieuk

weebroonieuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as it says above whats the best lcd should i look into that will support a high res with progressive scan, with good inputs the hitachi near the top of this forum looks good but im willing to pay more for more quality and more inputs.

whats the best way to connect a playstation, compostie scart rgb :confused:

pc will be dvi connection, and i would like the screen to be able to produce high res images as i will have a high end video card

i watch alot of xvid and divx as its easy for me to rip dvds to pc encode to these formats and just browse my pc and then watch them without haveing to load dvds etc hence the pc connectivity and quality to be quite important

can someone help define the quality of connections to me in order of the best
    like composite rgb scart s video dvi ?

from what i gather composite is the way to go for progressive and most high end signals so to is dvi which will be for the pc

and any other things i should know or look out for would be great

im so :confused:

2. flangemonkey

flangemonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I've been pretty well chuffed with my Hitachi, as you'll see from my posts on the thread in question...

It has plenty of connections:

1 x YUV component - will take PAL + NTSC progressive + 720p and 1080i
    1 x YUV or RGB component - will take PAL + NTSC progressive + 720p and 1080i
    1 x composite RCA + Stereo RCA or S-vid + Stereo RCA
    1 x SCART (composite, S-Vid or RGB capable)
    1 x Analogue RGB PC (15-pin D-Sub) - will take almost anything you chuck at it!
    1 x Digital PC (DVI) - will take almost anything you chuck at it!

Browse the manual for a (nearly) complete list of signals the PC inputs can accept...

The PlayStation can be connected with either composite (worst), S-Vid (better), RGB Scart (almost best) or component (best). That's providing you get the suitable cable. The one included with the PS2 is composite only, sadly. I hook mine up with S-Video incidentally.

On the subject of overall conection quality, composite is most definitely NOT the way to go if you're looking for a high-end signal. In fact, I doubt it can handle any HD material...I would never use it for anything at all if I can avoid it (it's basically all the video information mashed down into one RCA phono lead...extremely poor quality IMO)

Probably the most popular order of quality is as such, working downwards:

DVI
    Component
    RGB Scart
    S. Vid
    Composite

It may very well depend on the quality of the source hardware as to whether DVI or component is better, though...digital-digital isn't always going to be the best option if the component circuits in the DVD player are of a higher quality, for instance. There was a thread in the "DVD Players" forum about this very issue, where a certain player gave markedly better results via component than DVI...in the big scheme of things, though, I think this is a definite rarity.

3. weebroonieuk

weebroonieuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ahhhh i have had my component and composite mixed up (reading up n too many things at once)

i saw some mention of white colours looking "dirty" was this sorted out by some tweaking ?

for my purposes your set would end up like

pc = dvi
    ps2= component
    telewest = rgb scart

i only have a cheap dvd player so i could play back up dvds etc one of those asda things as i mainly just rip tp hard drive and watch through pc for my films and recordings,
    my telewest box has a scart pass through so if i powered on my dvd player it will pass through the telewest and take over its scart signal so i can get away with one scart !

however im thinking would i not get better results useing the dvd drive on my pc and some decent software compared to cheap / midrange dvd players ?

which would let me do away with a dvd player and save some valuable space and power sockets :confused: :)

also is theyre any higher res sets that sare specced like yours ?

oh and whats the response time of yours as this is very important to me as i really dont want any ghosting atall in dvds or games

a friend who knows everything u know! :rolleyes: is dead against me getting an lcd for this reason an keeps saying i couldnt get a display that wont ghost in games on the playstation or in fast action dvds, not like im into those fast paced first person shooters mind u !

he said i should also consider just a moniter since i get my tv through my digital box and i could save money without a tuner or put the saveing towards a better screen is he talking dung ?

4. weebroonieuk

weebroonieuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh and thanks for takeing time to reply in detail :)

5. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    you asked what is the best on the market.
    in two weeks time loewe launch its latest lcd.
    its called the R37 spheros.
    they claim it will be the 'bench test' for all others to follow.
    (this remains to be seen)looks stunning though!
    but their current spheros is amongst the best around already.

6. flangemonkey

flangemonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    No problem :D

I never noticed this from the outset TBH. Whites always looked very bright and clean. As I mentioned in my other posts in the Hitachi thread, my only issue is with the set's black levels. However, on further viewing, they're no way bad enough to warrant a return or exchange of model IMO.

Make sure the box does RGB pass-through...Not a lot of use if it will only pass composite :thumbsdow

Debatable. I'm sure a very good HTPC setup using DVI will probably beat a decent DVD player hooked up via component, but I haven't had the chance to play with my PC setup in that much detail yet (only fiddled with some WMV-HD stuff, and that looked fantastic). My aim, if I decide to replace my DVD player in the future would certainly be for a small shuttle-style HTPC box, to act as a media centre for my AV kit in the house...HD material would be able to be "obtained" via the wonders of p2p and pumped into the LCD...

The Hitachi is the only 28" set in this class AFAIK. Sharp make a couple of reputedly decent 30" sets that have very similar specs, although I'm not sure on the exact abilities to be able to tweak as many settings as you can on the Hitachi...They are a good £400-500 more, too, just for that extra 2" of screen space....that certainly wasn't worth the outlay in my scenario, so plumped for the Hitachi (which still has the same vertical height as a 25" 4:3 CRT)

Not sure of the manufacturer's quoted response times on my screen, but it seems pretty low. I've tried the PS2 hooked up to it briefly, and it seemed fine to me. Did get a chance to watch 5mins of some rugby yesterday afternoon, just to test out any smearing etc. and didn't notice any at all. I would assume that it's down to your personal taste as to what you can see at the end of the day. The best thing is to maybe take your PS2 in with you to a decent AV store that's selling these screens, and ask if you can try it out yourself...

As for what your friend says, some LCDs certainly do show some slow response times characterised by ghosting/smearing etc. but I think you might be hard pushed to find a screen in this size that omits a tuner and isn't designed for TV viewing as well as other sources...