1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK...made up my mind....HELP ME!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by PannyAdams, Dec 10, 2004.

1. PannyAdams

PannyAdams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    OK.....I needed a new telly, hate LCD pictures and am limited to space so after a bit of research have been choosing between the Hitachi 32PD5200 and Panny 37PW7BX.

The Hitachi has gorgeous looks is cheaper fits the space better comes with a stand and more imputs than you can shake a stick at (including HDCP DVI).

The Panny has a clean but funtional look is dearer and does even come with a stand and no inputs but quite a few holes to plug some expensive boards in.

After alot of help from you guys :smashin: , a couple of weeks, several demos I have decided........(Drum roll)..........

How could anyone buy the Hitachi? 95% of the purchase has to be about the PQ and on the pd5200 it is lacking. I desparately wanted to like it. It was £500 after stand and cards. It looked nicer and was the ideal size for my room but.... I even took down various tweaked settings from this site for my final viewing today so desparate was I to like it. Alsa, all pictures looked washed out next to the Panny, the colours looked dull and the detail was lacking. It also suffers from grey noise on highlights eg. explosions, lights etc.

Only disapointment with the Panny was the dithering on the edges of moving objects like players whating footy (but I have only watched this through RF does it improve with SKY Digital?). But even this was tempered by it being 4 times worse on the Hitachi!

So........decision made I hopefully pick my P&J up from Krish AV for £1399 tomorrow. If Krish AV don't come through Sevenoaks in Epsom are offering it for £1500 delivered!

Next what stand? I like the old square Panny stands but you can't get them anymore, next best I recon is the Unicol. Any other recomendations.

Also boards.......I've read the HDMI thread and most of it goes over my head.
    It comes with the scart. What is the best board to get my DVD Pioneer DV525 in (bearining in mind I'll could quite easily upgrade to a better player once I've cleared the credit card?)

Thanks

BJ

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    BJ as the 37" has only 2 input slots and VGA suggest a JS RGB>VGA box andeither a Quintro or MSC and get a component board for DVD etc leaving slot 2 free for HDMI, DVi etc when it all gets settled.... OH and Quality scarts for SKY make a big difference to PQ especially fuzziness

3. PannyAdams

PannyAdams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks HD

......forgot to mention the VGA was penciled in for a PC running Media Server (browsing in living room, mp3 etc...) There seemed to be 2 VGA ish adapters on the 42" I was looking at today.

Also, think it is just coming with a ordinary scart board (haven't got model number), with only two slots I should upgrade this to component then? Would RGB be more flexible if DVD will end up going through DVI/HDMI?

Any stand advice (I hate the semi-circular Panny one Th-ST10-K?). Do the old 5 and 6 series stands with the "prongs" fit?

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I'm amazed ! How could so many people be so wrong about the Hitachi ? Take a look at the number of awards that Hitachi TV's have won...

Boys Toys - Boys Toys Gold Award -19 November 2004
    "Its colours are out of this world - possibly the most completely natural in this group. The contrast range teaches these young LCD whippersnappers a thing or two as well, while fine detail levels are immense and the amount of interference practically non-existent."

Digital Home - The UK's Best Plasma TV - 19 November 2004
    "It looks cool, it's packed with technology and it has a picture that will blow you away. Hitachi's superb Platara 42PD5300 romps home as the UK's best plasma TV by a country mile. "

What Hi Fi Sound & Vision - 19 November 2004
    "This Hitachi offers good performances and great value - there are few better screens around."

32PD3000 - What Home Cinema - Best Buy - 03 November 2004

What Video - Best Buy - 03 November 2004

Now, all I can think is that one of two things happened here -
    1. The dealer had a dodgy Hitachi on display
    2. The dealer deliberately sabotaged the Hitachi, in order to sell the Panasonic which may have had a better profit margin. Before anyone dismisses this, we already know that a certain large chain store uses this technique to sell expensive interconnects to customers.

I'm not inferring that the Panasonic should look inferior, but I'm quite sure that a bunch of well-respected magazines would not have got it that wrong either.

5. banjo21

banjo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Beejay - see above thread for connection stuff re: JS and the DVD recorder trick from HD himself. I have same setup as you. Use VGA via JS for RGB scart sources (Sky+ and Xbox). Component board for DVD (when I buy it) and spare slot for HDMI as HD says when sorted. If you're using VGA for a PC then just stick with Scart board for now and HDMI when its here. I think the scart PQ is superb. If you have a DVD recorder then go for Comp board and use HD trick.

Dont worry it aint just DVD that shines - the Sky picture is lovely - I just love bringing people around who have a little knowledge and think they will be able to criticise my Sky pictures from what they've heard elsewhere - it ALWAYS blows them away - even on footy.

PS. John Lewis do really decent cambinets at like 1/3 price of rrp. Give then a whirl.

6. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Beejay mentioned that he only watched via RF, and the Hitachi does display fairly crap thru RF, needs a decent source.

7. HeweyBoy101

HeweyBoy101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Yes and No ! Depends on the bradcast quality / bitrate. When good (i.e. Sky Sports - looks brilliant), BBC / ITV - can look absolutely crap at times on footy - makes analogue look clean !!!

BTW - don't you notice screen flicker on the Panny, all I can ever see on Panny plasmas is flicker, especially on large white areas of picture. Bloody distracting - like watching an old 50Hz CRT.

8. PannyAdams

PannyAdams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry. I wasn't attacking the Hitachi. It has a lot going for it as I said (price, connections, asthetics) but I was saying that 95% of the time I will be looking at the picture and the PQ is the overiding factor. And, having looked at the two side by side, I fail to see how anyone can rate the Hitachi over the Panny. I'm not saying the Hitachi PQ is bad, just that the Panny is phenominal!

Now, having got it home and plugged it in I am even happier. Sky+ and footy are a dream!

9. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: Beejay, I'm going thru the exact same "story", still pounding the pro's and con's of both screens (actually 37PD5200 vs 37PW7).

Picture-wise, I also think the Panasonic wins on many accounts despite its lower native resolution, though on the Hitachi things seem to vary a LOT between inputs (and depending on quality of source, but that's the case with all plasmas). Have you actually tested it with a reasonably good source (not necessarily HD) connected via DVi? It's supposed to improve on many of the PD5200's weaknesses: lack of contrast, lack of details in shades, and an overall softness of the picture (not crisp, not detailed enough, almost blurry at times).

Problems I'm having with the Pana:
    1- can't see one in demo here (Paris). Unfortunately Pana France is only interested in selling Viera's (that's probably what their marketing charts tell them to do :( ) therefore I'm having difficulty even getting pricing info. - let alone delivery date! :rolleyes:
    I'd be keen on doing a Paris <-> London trip to demo it and maybe purchase one for that matter (a w-e in London sounds good to me anyway ;) ), if it weren't for the next pbm on the list:

2- Warranty/Service: while most screens here carry at least 2 years of warranty and on-site (in-home) service, the Pana's only carry one year, and you have to bring it back to the shop (or send to a Pana center?) for repair/replacement. Btw they're off EC laws, which enforce 2 years for this type of material. :mad:

3- DVI and HDMI option boards: it's almost impossible to find out exactly what format/resolutions these boards support. That's pure B.S. on Panny's part. I want to know _today_ (that's BEFORE purchasing) if the DVI or HDMI board will support HDTVs resolution at 50Hz; Why? Because we'll start to get HDTV here around mid next year, and I know for sure I'll want to "jump on it" as soon as it's available.

It's obvious from reading these forums that Panasonic are not best reknown for their service, pre-sales and post-sales support, and that has me concerned if I am to part with significant amount of €€s (or ££'s maybe :D ).

I've now allowed many weeks to pass, waiting, HOPING to get the information I need before placing an order for the Pana - however at this point I'm about to give up, and I'll probably have to go thru what you have, i.e. I'm gonna try hard to convince myself that the PQ on the Hitachi's is "good enough" for me to buy one...

Btw I only have 7-8 feet distance from screen, hence my choice of 37" (as opposed to 42", and don't want to get an "HD" screen).

Ok, well, frustration-fueled rantings over I guess... :blush:

10. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,275
    I checked out the Hitachi a few weeks back in Currys and Comet (cough, what a bunch of morons), anyway, with the RF feed, cheap dvd player etc etc, the picture was poor.

i finally managed to watch a film on dvd using a reasonable (but by no means great) dvd player with ps and monster components cables and the picture was fantastic........

11. madasahat

madasahat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a hitachi 42pd5200 and the pick on good quality service is fanominal :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

12. PannyAdams

PannyAdams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes I viewed the Hitachi on DVI input from a Denon 1910. The PQ was good....probably good enough......but importantly No where near as good as the Pannys picture of the same film through RBG.

When you view the pd5200 make sure you pay attention to fast movement, contrasting edges and highlights and bright spots. If you are happy with these you will be happy with the picture.

Just imagine how good the Panny will be through DVI and HDMI.

Hope this helps

13. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Not really, because I own a 5300, and when it's set up correctly, it's stunning.