1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ok Jenz, what's GT3 like on the barco?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tryingtimes, Mar 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Go on - let us know how good it is.
    You're the only one on here that I've heard say that they've got a PS2

I'm not convinced that it's worth 300 quid to me at the moment - especially as every penny is being put aside for the projector [​IMG]

Alex

2. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shall we say that it's pretty sweet [​IMG]

Actually for sheer visual kick Soul Calibur on Dreamcast takes some beating. PS2 Dead or Alive is pretty jagged, the DC version is better this big.

Timesplitters is great because 4 player on this screen means that each player has a 40inch wide screen... makes them very tough.

The Sports games are also something to behold SSX Snowboarding, Madden 2001, NHL 2001 and Fifa 2001 (although I prefer ISS Pro at the moment until a decent PS2 footie comes along).

Ridge Racer 5 is also good although GT3 surpasses it on just about every level.

Surprisingly even the older games look pretty good. Remember that they are deinterlaced and scaled to 800x600. Dino Crisis PS1 made me pretty jumpy and my youngest ran out the room screaming (we were playing in the pitch black!)

Personally I normally only buy a machine when I consider there to be 5 AAA titles available. I plumped for PS2 because of the demand, yet I'm still waiting for those 5 titles. I think only SSX and Timesplitters could be considered at that level at this time. GT3 will be another as will MGS2. I personally expected more - sooner.

As an aside any Final Fight/Golden Axe fans will love Dynasty Warriors. This has had more play than any of the EA titles other than SSX.
    ------------------
    Webmaster,
    Bullets n Babes DVDs HT Pics

[This message has been edited by Jenz (edited 08-03-2001).]

3. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Yeah, I can imagine that soul calibre does look really good. I would also think that something as nicely styled as Jet Set Radio would look really good too.

I'm just not that excited by PS2. But then I wasn't really excited by the launch of PS either. I only bought one for FFVII import and even that was a dissapointment after the joys of FF on SNES.

I will probably end up getting one for GT3 - it really is the best thing to happen to sony alongside MGS2.

As for the survival horror genre - they scare me to much on my 29"!

I think the first game I would play on my projector would be Mario 64 - can't beat a bit of nostalgia!

Talking of games on projectors - everyone seems fairly scared of Burn-in on CRT projectors. Are they more susceptable to it than a normal direct view set?

Cheers
    Alex

4. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Remember that they are deinterlaced and scaled to 800x600"

What are you using to deinterlace and scale? dTV? I don't recall reading on your website hat you had a scaler.

I'd be interested to know what you think of dTV, I couldn't get it to work very succesfully, even after loading Win98 and then ME (I usually use Win2K).

5. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary,

Yes I'm using dTV 2.12 on Windows ME. All sources are fed into a Pinnacle Rave via S-Video. Using the Greedy deinterlacing algorithm and 2:2 Pulldown. Had to drop the pixel width down to 640 but overall I'm very pleased with it.

Had to make two small .INI changes for it to work well with poor UK VHS tapes. Wife is hooked on 7ft Angel [​IMG]

What probs did you have?

------------------
    Webmaster,

6. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jenz

I tried three different version on Win2K with the Hauppage WinTV Go card, couldn't get it to run. I then installed Win98 and ran into some more problems although I can't remember the specifics it was before Christmas. I ended up installing ME which ran it ok but I didn't rate it's performance, it was worse than the doubler in my projector, the picture was grainy with purple diagonal lines and if I'm honest I couldn't put up with the hassle of the ergonomics of using a PC. In fact I've even given up with WinDVD now, I can't be bothered with the hassle, even though the picture is stunning (the Quadscan comes close enough for me). The HTPC has sat in my cinema unused for about a month now, I'm debating whether to sell it and maybe go for a better quality dedicated DVD player as I have a similar number of PC's to yourself I don't need the HTPC, I'll probably keep the M-Audio sound card though and stick it in my main machine.

TryingTimes

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread!

7. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GaryG,

No problems and I understand the frustration. I seem to be having a niggly problem with dTV on Buffy VHS believe it or not. Here I have to use the Pinnacles Deinterlacer software which works fine. Whilst not as feature rich as dTV it gives a good picture.

------------------
    Webmaster,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.