1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK, I want to listen to people who has problems with HD3 as well as people who hasn´t

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by shelteringsky, Feb 16, 2005.

1. shelteringsky

shelteringsky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I´m just about to order an HD3 but I want to think about it one more time because of all the problems i´ve read about.

I´d like to read from owners complains and satisfactions...

-what´s that bloody hiss? is it really a manufacturer fault or all the players produce that hiss? Come on, who has that hiss? Who hasn´t?

-is anybody happy with sonicstage?

-does everyone has problems converting from mp3, wma, wav,... to atrac or viceversa....

PLEASE I´M FED UP.... EVERYTIME I MAKE MY MIND I READ ABOUT OTHER ONE WHO HAS OTHER PROBLEM... INSIDE OF ME I´D LIKE SOMEONE TO TELL ME:

"OK, OK, DON´T WORRY... MINE WORKS CORRECTLY, NO PROBLEM (NOR WITH SONICSTAGE, NOR WITH SOUND, NOR WITH NAVIGATION...), BUY ONE YOU WON´T REGRET...

2. Signer

Signer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically i have had my HD3 for around 3 weeks, and I'm very impressed. To answer your questions
    - I have had no hiss whatsoever on my player and the quality of the sound is very high.
    -Sonicstage - I have had few problems with this - it could be better, but ive noticed, even with the speed of my pc being very high, the program is incredibly slow when changing something as little as the name of a track. It's not great but its fine in my opinion.
    - When converting i have had a problem with around four or five of thousands i have transferred into atrac from mp3, there have been no problems with any wma files i have used.

I have had no problems at all with my SOny HD3 and wouldnt consider sending it back at all. My only really annoyance is lack of accessories, but i hear there are some to be introduced by sony, so i'll look forward to that :D

3. twcheang

twcheang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have it around 3 weeks and I'm very happy with it :thumbsup: !!!

- I haven't heard any hiss on my player.
    - SonicStage sucks! it works fine but too slow :( .... there is no another alternative way to input songs ...
    - No problem but too slow (maybe I use laptop).

Gonna get a remote next week!!!

4. shelteringsky

shelteringsky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So... "darrens" background hiss (read his review: NW-HD3 - sending it straight back) is a manufacture fault?

He is not the first I read about...

5. hughesy

hughesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Had my HD3 2 weeks and i love it!!! :D

Have no hiss and i use mp3's.

Still use itunes for listening to tracks and editing id3's and stuff. Only use sonicstage if i have to.

Bring on the accessories!!! :lease:

6. darrens

darrens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I'm delighted for you guys you have had no problems but (just to repeat myself)

o I have background noise on all the tracks (mp3, atrac etc.) using the supplied headphones

o Sonic Stage only works once after re-install, after that it crashes to desk top during start up.

I've sent mine back and am now looking (again) for an mp3 player.

7. batesie

batesie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First week and ive had no problems, i use Realplayer to convert CD to mp3 @320kbs. Sonic 'Rage' isnt perfect but it works fine!
    and my Sennhiesers dont pick up any hiss, even through my CMoy pocket amp.

And now using it to store some backups of my finances etc, (zipped and password protected) :D

8. Signer

Signer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darrens - I use the headphones that came with it, i suffer no hiss or anything, its likely this is where people have had problems come to complain so it may seem like a large proportion have this problem, but i doubt overall mnany have this.

With SonicStage, it could just have been either your compouter, with it clashing with another program or something.

9. darrens

darrens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Possibly it's only a small proportion who have this problem but I definitely have it. It's very noticeable in the silences in a song.

Yup, it could have been a clash with my computer but I'm not the first person to have complained about sonic stage not behaving.

It's all academic because I've taken it back but I am very disappointed with Sony.

10. mg-paul

mg-paul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Had mine for a couple of weeks now, and have to say I like the unit a LOT, but I still don't like Sonic Stage.

I had a lot of trouble with it at first on one PC Win2k Pro, but now have it running on an XP Pro PC. All of my library was on WMA format, and I intended to keep it that way. However I found that when transferring from SS to the HD3 it would convert then copy the tracks (to Atrac3 132Kbit) no problem with that, what I had a problem with was that after about 10-20 tracks it would crash SS.

This got to be quite annoying to say the least, so in the end I forced it to convert all my tracks (keeping the originals) to Atrac first, then downloaded them. That worked fine and downloaded all 4000+ tracks with no problems.

Since then I have been using the unit and not SS (as have most of my library on it now) and love the unit.

Did a long flight over the weekend and used the unit for over 20 hours (not all on the plane) and it still had plenty of battery left, so that got a big thumbs up.

Paul

p.s. No hiss that I can hear.

11. benjaymin

benjaymin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had mine for a few days.

Sonic Stage is not a great program by any stretch of the imagination, but it still offers flexibility and user-friendliness (which I like!).

The actual unit is great, really enjoying it. Navigation is simplistic and thus cool.

Not experiencing hiss at all. Would say however, don't use the supplied headphones, as they are pretty bog standard.

Go for it man! you won't regret it!

12. Roger Matthews

Roger Matthews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Mines OK, no hiss, OK navigation, standard headphones OK (better with Shure ones), small & easy to takes out when walking the dog (my previous Nomad Zen Xtra was too big to bother sometimes). Sonicstage slow and a bit fiddly but you learn to live with the damn thing.

13. malheuresement

malheuresement

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I love my HD3. But I had a problem, which I think was a one-off - at least I haven't heard of anyone else experiencing the same. Within a week of having my first unit the headphone socket had developed a fault meaning that I could hear only one track of the stereo feed - not even proper mono! As a precaution I bought a remote and leave that plugged in all the time to prevent wear and tear on the headphone socket.

Anyway, I was sufficiently impressed with the unit to stick with it and get a replacement HD3. And I'm glad I did, especially now that someone had posted a thread allowing the low-volume issue to be overcome. Now you have to look after your own ear-drums instead of Sony doing it for you.

No hiss for me - I've read that this is definitely a manufacturing error on a number of units.

Someone mentioned accessories. I agree that they are limited, but I've found that the LowePro D-Res 4M (available from a lot of highstreet electronics and camera stores) is a pretty much perfect fit, but you'd have to keep undoing the zip to operate the HD3 (which is held nicely in the mesh pocket incidentally) unless you get a remote. I have got the RM-MC35ELK effort and it works perfectly, though only in single-line display. I'd recommend this remote, especially if size is important ;) .
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    malheureusement.

14. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I've had my HD3 since December. And I've owned the iPod, iRiver H1xx, iAudio M3, Creative Zens, etc... as well as more smaller-capacity players. I've also tried for extended periods the iRiver H3xx, the Zen Touch and others.

I think the HD3 the smallest, longest lasting, best looking 20Gb player I've ever had. I also think in many ways it's the worst 20Gb player I've ever had.

The navigation and playlisting capabilities is a major issue on the HD3. It can be got used to, but it is probably the worst on the market. If you're upgrading from a MD/Discman, you're unlikely to experience a problem with this, but at the same time you're missing out on the abilities of many high-capacity players to weave in a non-linear manner throughout your music library. The User Interface is basically the same as fitted to the Sony Discman/MD's and as such it's struggling to work with a 20Gb storage capacity.

Basically, the Reason Of Being of a high capacity player is partially lost with the HD3 because the navigation and music access facilities are so poor.

If we also take the simpla matters of ergonomics, some people might notice that it's not possible to hold the HD3 single-handed securely. Because it's small and 'landscape', if your hand is in a position to support the HD3 properly, then your hand is not in a position to operate the controls. There's a reason why many players are 'portrait' because that way it nestles in the hand.

If size / battery life is your priority, then the HD3 is the one to get. If easy access to music and an actual large-capacity-player style listening capability is your thing (and isn't this what HDD players are about?), then it's the last one to get in my list.

I've also had the headphone jack problem, but I think it's just a quality control glitch which will be fixed. Even with the volume fix, the player also lacks some dynamic authority and very efficient headphones are required for it not to sound lacking. The problem is that hiss is evident with aforesaid highly efficient headphones.

15. shelteringsky

shelteringsky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh...! Many thanks to all of you for your replies. I´ve considered seriously and had ordered the machine at last. Hope not to have any problem ( apart from the problems with Sonic Stage that I expect even before having it ;) )

Now I only have to wait... :boring:

I´ll give my impressions when I´ve tried it, so other customers can take a choice.

16. diverse

diverse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HD3 rocks, battery life, size, audio quality are class leaders!

17. aljanomac

aljanomac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find it very ammusing that Darrens was complaining of a hiss when using the earphones supplied - of course he is going to hear a hiss - the earphones are crapper than crap!!

If he invested in a decent pair of head/ear phones then the difference is alarmingly obvious!!

18. darrens

darrens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, first off I don't expect to be hearing a hiss with supplied headphones. I accept the SQ isn't going to be he best but I don't expect headphones to create a hiss.

Which brings me on to what extremelydodgy said which was
    If yours doesn't hiss then fine - mind did. And my Sonic Stage software wouldn't work.

19. Tipsy

Tipsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol darren, you been told! :laugh:

20. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61

Earphones don't produce hiss, although they can accentuate it. Sources do.

21. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Oh yeah, a word about Sonicstage.

For very straightforward ripping, storage and 'dump library on the player' syncing, it's a piece of p!ss to use. It really is utterly straightforward. And contrary to some opinions, I think it's relatively bug-free now.

The problem is the fact that Sonicstage lacks fairly basic features, and makes a real meal of managing a large number of music files. It's sync and playlisting options are very limited... and combined the the UI of the player, you end up using the whole thing in a very linear manner, like a CD discman or a Minidisc.

If that's fine and all you want is the looks and the size of the HD3, then it's great... but while I know the iPod has been accused of being all image and no substance, if anything I think the Sony goes further into that territory.

22. Darthvador

Darthvador
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had it for a month everything is fine except the balence is more to right side i have tested with 3 pairs of headphones and stero imagery is more to the right not a lot just a little.............is there a fix

headphones tested with
    sony ones that came with the machine
    sony mrd 550
    sony mdr 700dj (24 oms resistance)
    sennheiser px100

23. lyserman

lyserman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Had my HD3 for a week now and had no problems setting up and running SonicStage. Choose mp3s, select transfer, wait a few seconds and job done. Add new stuff to my library on my pc and when I connect the HD3 it just flies on. Did the volume limiting fix (thanks for posting info) and even at full volume there is no hiss, even using headphones, not earphones but I do use 192kbps as an absolute minimum spec for mp3.
    All in all, a trouble free relationship.
    Big thumbs up from me. :smashin:

24. shelteringsky

shelteringsky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I see, lyserman, I finally got it and have had not many problems but I´d like you to help in one thing: When I transfer my mp3 files to the sonicstage and convert them to atrac3, although the program says that the conversion is done, I can still see in the file properties and in the walkman when i transfer them, that the files are in mp3 format even I had converted them!!!! What´s the problem??? Do you have an idea?

Ahh... and do you know how to enqeue songs in the playlist while you are listening to something?

25. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    For Queing songs, you'd have to use the bookmark feature. Page 23 in the instructions take you through it.

26. ilindsay

ilindsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do yourself a favour then, and when it arrives chuck away the headphones they supply and treat yourself to a decent pair!!

27. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Anyone want to buy some Sony E888's (is that the right number?) I just bought them off ebay (check previous buys for user colecotatsales), find I actually prefer the original Apple buds so if anyone wants to buy them for a tenna then they can have them.