1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK, I should have asked here 1st but...

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by glebecs, Dec 25, 2003.

1. glebecs

glebecs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    better late than never.

Firstly Merry Christmas to everyone.

OK, I have just used the Canon MV600 that I bought a couple of weeks back for the 1st time and am very dissapointed.
    I mainly use a camcorder indoors and have a decent video light etc, my old (I mean very old, maybe 10 years) panasonic video8 camcorder was great for indoor work, crisp and sharp etc but the MV600 is utterly useless, the picture is extremely grainy, I have tried the night mode and manually setting the shutter etc but the results are very poor.

I have already boxed the thing up and will return it ASAP.

I need advice on a MiniDV camcorder that will give good results when used indoors (good results outside too of course), I dont have vast ammounts to spend but realise that I will probably have to spend more than the £335 I paid for the Canon.

Any advice/model numbers/reviews of suitable camcorders would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

2. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    This is a common complaint with a lot of current camcorders (and not just the low end ones).

Over the last few years, the makers have built camcorders smaller and smaller to meet the demands of the consumer.

As such, the optics themselves have to get smaller and of course the smaller the lense, the less light can get in hence the poorer quality you are seeing.

It is for this reason that I am sticking with my 3 year old DV camcorder. It may not be the smallest camcorder but it has never let me down and works fine indoors.

You need to do your homework but there are camcorders out there that will do what you want if you are prepared to pay for them. I am sure somebody will suggest something here in a moment or 3.

Happy christmas.

3. glebecs

glebecs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From looking at an earlier thread I am considering the Sony TRV33, anyone used this camcorder for low light/indoor shooting?

4. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The TRV33 is fine for indoor use. I have never used it in low light conditions, only night time - and you use the nightshot feature for that.

5. glebecs

glebecs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just an update, my father-in-law is on holiday in Spain, he has bought me the TRV33E from the Sony shop over there for €590 which is around £415, thats saved me a few quid.

Andy

6. APJONES

APJONES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considering buying the TRV33 and wondered how you'd got on???

7. glebecs

glebecs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The TRV33 is great, the quality indoors is excellent, absolutely knocks spots (or dots ;) ) off the canon.

I am pleased that I got the Sony and would recommend one 100%

Andy

8. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    According to reviews the TRV14/19/22 are a little better than the TRV33 in low light conditions. The TRV33 has more pixels but the CCD is smaller, and the rule of thumb is that a larger CCD produces better images in low light.

The reviews mention this but they do say that the difference is minimal, they say the TRV14/19/22 produces more vivid picture while the TRV33 produces a sharper picture.

Might be best to read reviews on websites and visit www.camcorderinfo.com which has tests in low light and message boards etc which discuss issues.

One note to make is that the CCD on the canon is only 1/6" while the Sony TRV14/19/22 has a 1/4". The TRV33 has a slightly smaller CCD at 1/4.7".

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/bhshootoff_500_group.htm

The Canon ZR65MC is what we call the Canon MV650. As you can see the TRV19 comes out top.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/bhshootoff_700_group.htm

Where you can compare the TRV33 with similar priced cameras. Also using the previous link you can do a little comparison with the TRV19 and TRV33 to see any differences in picture quality.

9. lion789lion

lion789lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi i also tried the Cannon mv600, and man was i crap filming inside, i returned it striaght away. i only got it because the bloke at jessops told me it was far superior than the sony tvr 14. (what a useless plonker)

I'm getting the sony as every one recommends it!!!!!!!!