1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ok, i need help.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by clancol, Jan 16, 2004.

1. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've looked through the endless threds of tweeking for the hs10 and it does'nt seem to have got me anywere.
    I know that with a sony 730p player i'm not going to get the best pic but i can try.
    Iv'e just got avia, and i've performed all the basic settings, I've installed the supplied filtter, and thats about it. I'm happy with the image but i know it can be so much better. I have had a look at the factory setting's and thought, Bugger what im i doing.

I dont mind having a fiddle, but i dont know where to start.
    Which Avia test should i use with what factory settings, How do i adjust the gains and what do i measure them against? What do i touch and what don't i.

also
    I have a p4-2.4 ghz with 512 ddr ram and a geforce 4600card with dvi out.
    This is my uni pc. so i can't keep it with my cinema, but what would i need to get this test HCPC working.(just the basics) So i can see how big the improvment is over a dvd player.
    (I don't need sound from the pc as im only interested in testing the visuals)

I know the hs10 isn't a new projecter, so it all been said before.
    And i know people don't like repeating themselfs but please help.

Dc

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Clancol,

I know this isn't what you want to hear right now, but if you've just got your hands on the machine and you've set brightness and contrast with avia, then live with oit for a while... I'm sure you've heard the phrase "walk before you try to run..." that's what should apply here, otherwise you'll drive yourself nuts trying to attain somethng that you won't recognise if you get it....

HS10 via hcpc is a super result, but not particularly straight forward...... check previous posts on the issue for proof. My advice is to live with your setup for a week or two, watch some movies/do some gaoming/whatever for goodness sake, take it reasonably slowly with tweaking the picture once you've some idea of what part of the performance you want to improve. As things stand, you're asking out for help to achieve something you can't describe..... If you look at it that way you'll undestand how difficult it might be for one of us to advise you.

Not unfriendly advice, just good advice.....................

All the best,

sean G.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brief reply (for now - having T :)).

Service/factory modes/menus: Steer clear for the time being.

Using your Sony DVD player, just do the basics with Avia (again, for the time being).

IIRC, the nVidia cards won't do 1366x768 via DVI so you'll need a Radeon card for that.

More later :)

BTW, sorry, didn't see your other post during the week, been busy/sick :blush:

4. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for your input guys.
    I do understand and agree with what you are saying.
    Im already racking up the hours as i have 22 so far and iv'e only had it since tuesday. There was 1h on it when i got it.(not bad for a graded unit, No previos bulbs used either.)
    I am enjoying the picture and the only problem that bugs me is.
    E.g. the scene in Matrix Reloaded when Neo has just done his first superman bit he visits the Oricals apartment and the grey front door looks horrible. all pixeleted and smeared.
    Is there a way to counter this, or is it the player?
    Would a ArcamDV88p help.(can get one a decent price.)

5. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    clancol

Try using the Block Noise Reduction on the 730 and see if that improves the image, I know it did on my tv.

BTW, do you find the pj noisy? :D

6. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Hs10's have been mistakenly cited in aircraft noise pollution cases!!

7. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Clancol,

Sounds like this is a player issue rather than the PJ....... the suggestion about Block Noise Reduction sounds like a good idea... but the Matrix movies tend to have degrees of colouration and graininess as part of the movie anyway.......

Sean G.

8. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    just watched blade 2 with the cinema filter and REset up with avia and realy enjoyed the picture. Think i'll hang on regarding another player(dv88p) until the next range of dvi players come out. Oh is the hs10 HDCP compliant?
    and What should the colour temp be set to?

The hs10 is a we bit noisy but its not like it's an anoying sound. I hardly notice it when watching movies. And it reasuring to know that the hs10 has a decent fan to cool things off. Even if it is loud.

Clintc i have had a fiddle with the BNR but not realy given it any time. Will have a look tomoz see if it works.