OK, I give up! purchasing 49/50" TV

HarryHornby2020

Novice Member
Hi All, newbie here. I've been lurking and reading for sometime on here, trying to get an understand of the correct TV for me and I give it. I was trying to avoid the question, but here it is. What TV/s should I be narrowing it down to?

I've read the guides on here and think I have enough questions answered:

We currently have a Samsung LE40R88BD (it was gifted to us about 5 years ago when our friends upgraded their TV). Looking to buy a 49" or 50". Sadly a 55 is too big for the space

Sources - we are still stuck back in the day, LOL

Humax Freeview HDR - Try to watch HD mostly on this
Netflix, SD only, too tight to pay for HD ha ha. This may change
Disney +
Xbox One - I play once a week, not a massive gamer
upscaling DVD player - really should get a Bluray soon
Maybe with a Smart TV we'll do more HD streaming of sport. Actually, I KNOW this will be the case

PQ atributes.

I honestly don't know. I would just like a good picture. I know I don't like TVs that shout at you. I prefer a natural picture.
If I had to put one thing first I guess blacks, because in some of the darker, period dramas on TV and or films sometimes things can be hard to see.

Lighting in the room. Of an evening we rarely sit in darkness. We have 1 or 2 standard lamps on in the corners of the room opposite the TV. It gives the room a nice light, good enough to read but not like Blackpool illuminations.

BUGS

I guess motion blur - for watching sport

As to which is most important to me out of the following. ALL of them, ha ha.

Price - £600 max
Connections At least 3 HDMI, would prefer 4, gives me a spare then
Smart TV (which apps)? - Netflix, disney + and STB EMU
HDR PQ
SDR PQ
Sound - Don't want tinny, but doesn't need to boom, happy with good, basic sound.
Wide Viewing angles - well this is where I'm not sure, VA vs IPS is doing my nut.

Imagine a rectangular room. The TV is in one corner, but not at 45 degrees, more like 20. One settee is directly in front of the TV, the other is on the same wall as the other settee. So furthest we sit away from tele is 11 foot. Closest is 8 foot.

OUr current TV has an amazing viewing angle, so I'm completely thrown by VA and IPS panels. Withing seconds I can bounce between which is best for me. Plus it all seems so subjective. One person's great TV is another person's rubbish one.

HELP!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!

Cheers All

Dodgexander

Your budget won't buy you much currently, since 2019 stock has pretty much run out leaving only overpriced 2020 options. I'd wait to buy at a later time. Black Friday 2020 or onward.

I'd also aim high, or aim low. £600 will may be buy you a mid range TV if you get the absolute best discount at the right time of year, but otherwise spending £600 on a low range TV is not a sensible thing to do. TVs that cost significantly less will be just as good. If you want a TV with good motion, you'll want to at least aim for mid range models which are currently over budget.

With future proofing now a lot of it is regarding HDR. Every TV and their dog comes with HDR on the box, but only LCD TVs with high peak brightness and good local dimming can display it as its meant to be displayed...or an OLED.

If you need a TV to have good viewing angles and HDR you'd be looking to spend at least £900-1000 on an OLED. This is only relevant if you have plans to watch HDR material such as that on a Netflix Premium plan, Disney+, future games and UHD Blu-Rays. The Philips 7 series OLED is available for £900 at 55" currently.

HarryHornby2020

Novice Member
Thank you for your reply. OLED is deffo out of my price range I'm afraid and 55" won't physically fit where it needs to go, 50 is my limit.

I think I'm going to get the protractor out later (is that a bit extreme? ha ha). I'm pretty sure that even with a VA panel it would be ok when the family is watching, then, when it's just me and the wife I can turn the TV to face just one of the sofas for perfect viewing angles.

I've seen this TV come up a few times on here and spoken highly of.
Sony BRAVIA KD49XG9005BU

Richer Sounds has it in stock, the wife has given the additional spend the nod so I may well bite the bullet, assuming I satisfy myself about the viewing angles in our room.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Thank you for your reply. OLED is deffo out of my price range I'm afraid and 55" won't physically fit where it needs to go, 50 is my limit.

I think I'm going to get the protractor out later (is that a bit extreme? ha ha). I'm pretty sure that even with a VA panel it would be ok when the family is watching, then, when it's just me and the wife I can turn the TV to face just one of the sofas for perfect viewing angles.

I've seen this TV come up a few times on here and spoken highly of.
Sony BRAVIA KD49XG9005BU

Richer Sounds has it in stock, the wife has given the additional spend the nod so I may well bite the bullet, assuming I satisfy myself about the viewing angles in our room.

That's the best you can buy for your money.

HarryHornby2020

Novice Member
Hi Guys, I thought I would feed back.

I purchased the XG9005 and I'm very please with it. Only issue out of the box is that the reds look far too red, so I've turned the colour setting from 60 to 55 and it seems to have helped.

If you can afford the pricetag I would certainly recommend this TV.

Cheers for the comments for all the previous posts on here that helped me make a good decision.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Hi Guys, I thought I would feed back.

I purchased the XG9005 and I'm very please with it. Only issue out of the box is that the reds look far too red, so I've turned the colour setting from 60 to 55 and it seems to have helped.

If you can afford the pricetag I would certainly recommend this TV.

Cheers for the comments for all the previous posts on here that helped me make a good decision.

Hi Harry thanks for the feedback. I have also found buying a 50" TV a bit of a minefield, However I am also finding myself heading towards this TV. Again 50" is my limit. However like you viewing angle is one of my main concerns . If the TV is sitting uniformly across the corner than the walls will both be at 45 degrees. I estimate the extremes of my seating positions at 30-35 degrees at similar distances to yours. Since you have this 49" TV in a corner situation like mine could I possibly ask you to start at the centre and roughly estimate he point either side at which you notice any picture degradation.
TIA

HarryHornby2020

Novice Member
Boostrail, It would appear I was panicking about nothing, I am very impressed with the viewing angle on this TV. I've seen some friends' TVs and the pic is realy poor when sitting to the side, but this TV has really impressed.

I'm no picture connoisseur like some of the guys on the forum but even standing at a more acute angle than 45 degrees I would still happily watch this if I really had to.

Angles of 30 degrees (prob my max, the way the room is laid out) is fine for me.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Boostrail, It would appear I was panicking about nothing, I am very impressed with the viewing angle on this TV. I've seen some friends' TVs and the pic is realy poor when sitting to the side, but this TV has really impressed.

I'm no picture connoisseur like some of the guys on the forum but even standing at a more acute angle than 45 degrees I would still happily watch this if I really had to.

Angles of 30 degrees (prob my max, the way the room is laid out) is fine for me.
Thanks Harry:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom