1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK I give in

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jeff, Mar 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    When is Roland back from Holiday?

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    :):D

3. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Jeff you will have to wait, as i'm grabbing Roland the minute he steps foot back in this country!.( I've alerted customs to ring me when he arrives back) :p
    I'm awaiting a small repair (two capacitors) to the right focus board of my Barco 808s.
    But i will let you have him once he's done!!!:D

Joking aside, fantastic news mate. I feel it is your only real choice as things stand at the moment.
    Make sure you at least go for refurb 808s(sod the size), but if you are feeling flush grab one of Roly's 1209s!. The 1209 will give you mega resolutions etc(you know you want them!).

A few of warnings about going from fixed panels to CRT.
    First thing is picture sharpness/focus. This may seem soft at first, then you realise that it's because the CRT doesn't add any false "panel edgy-ness etc".
    Second, and just as important as "not feeding Gremlins after midnight". Is to never ever attempt ANY picture adjustments until the unit has been on for at least 1 hour.
    Another thing i found worthwhile was to keep the projector room at a constant average temperature level. This stopped convergence drift due to the big lenses etc.
    Apart from some slight "halo-ing" around bright objects in very dark scenes, you will never look back.;)

Just wait for those lush colours, velvet blacks and endless contrast levels. One thing i can't describe properly is the "real" texture the picture has.

All the above message also goes to Keith D, who's only true choice will be to go the CRT route as well!.(come on Keith it's your turn next :D )

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Hmmm, a 1209 and a 72" Grayhawk... could be interesting. Very me, not sure what Roland will make of it. :D I'm just worried about the garage roof. :eek:

Roland lives fairly close, hopefully he can come and do a site survey before decideing on the projector. Noise concerns me a bit but hopefully the fan mod will make it a non issue.

5. codling

codling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    nice one jeff,

i think your making the right decision.

you lucky so and so carl.;)

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Jeff:

I'm sure we may be able to do something on the greyhawk front. I'd bet there will be folk who'll bite your hand off to get that material by itself.....

Paul,

A re-tubed 1209 should have the beating in sharpness and resolution of the fixed pixel brigade. Particularily when fed from Kryton.

Gordon

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Roland seems to have plenty of the 1209s, why not stack them?;)

8. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Today

And I have a few misions (fullabeer) to cover.

9. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!
    Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Nuff said!:D

10. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Jeff, if you'd like to see one of Roland's previous installs, he put a BarcoData 808s in for me December last year.

I'm running it off a HTPC (RadeonDDR/M-audio2496/IDS falcon/dScaler/TheaterTek).

I'm up the A33 from you in Earley, Reading right near Earley train station and can probably find some free time over the next week.

regards,
    Rob.

11. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Last night I went to see Rob Screene Home Cinema, first of all I got lost so I'm very grateful to Rob for coming to find me. Rob has a converted garage which is a nice size and ideal for a home cinema setup. My main interest is Robs Radeon PC driven BD808s which was installed by Roland. The 808s projects against a 7ft matt white MDF screen. My first surprise was how bright the picture was, its was brighter than I remembered from the Event. We tried a few DVDs that I brought along and know very well, namely Moulin Rouge, Shrek and Fifth Element SB. Rob uses a 960P resolution which is probably a little beyond the capabilities of the projector as witnessed by looking at desktop text, but the PQ playing DVDs using the TheaterTek player was very pleasant indead. I was impressed with the way Rob has automated his PC which automatically sets the resolution and the refresh rate according to the region of DVD that you play. This was also my first opportunity to see TheaterTek, which lives up to its reputation as being an excellent player. It did have an issue with my R1 Shrek DVD but it eventually play it. The pans with the projector running at 71.928 were silky smooth, much better than I have ever managed on my old DLP. Rob did point out a couple of "features" with the projector, which I will look out for when looking for a CRT. Finally we had a look at Robs Falcon/DScaler/Play Station 2 setup and compared it to a straight svideo connection. As always DScaler performed very well and shows that you don't have to spend a lot of money on a dedicated scaler.The only concern that I had in the end was the noise of the 808s, it wasn't that bad but I know how things just seem to sound so much louder in my small room. Robs CRT is still using the original fans so I'm hopeful that Roland fan mod will do the trick.

Many thanks to Rob for letting me come round and have a look at his setup, most helpful. A big thank you also to Mrs Screene for the coffee and biscuits. :)

12. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    It was a pleasure Jeff. I still can't believe we spent about 4 hours talking about this stuff!

regards,
    Rob.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.