1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ok i expect to be laughed of the forum..... (DVD quality)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MikeKay1976, Feb 1, 2005.

1. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,302
    My housemate has just baught (on my reccomendation) a Kiss DP1000 divx dvd player for 70 quid - not the spec of DVD you are used to am sure!.

i have tried a few divx players & in my limited experience i found (after a firmware upgrade) that one to be the best, however...... he has now baught a 37 inch phillips plasma telly, & so am wondering how good it will be compared with more expensive players. I have some component video leads on order, but as i have no real comparison i will have to take your guys views. Is it a good player?

(I am going to buy a player myself & am thinking of getting another one the same, Divx is important you see..... but if there is a better player for similar money then i could consider that, give it to my mate & take his Kiss one).

I did try the phillips DVP 762 which i got for my folks for Christmas, but found it struggled to read some DVD-R's near the end of the DVD & besides that has gone up in price from £69.99 on Amazon to £149.99 :eek: .

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I have a Kiss DP-450 and use it with my AE100 projector with a VGA cable. It upscales beautifully and I'm very pleased with it. I would imagine results with the DP1000 will be just as good. There is now a hacked firmware that enables full use of component and VGA even with macrovision protected dvds. Its the best upscaling bargain out there at the moment. These are very powerful dvd players with a main risc core of about 200mhz. The only limitation is some divx material can't be played due to limitations of the chipset but overall its still got very good divx compatibility.

The only thing that is poor about the kiss dvd players I think is the onboard 2 channel dolby digital decoder doesn't produce great sound quality. You are better connecting via optical or coaxial to an external decoder. Audio CD playback is also pretty rubbish.

3. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,302
    ---------------------------------------------

cheers mate thats good to hear...... sound wont be a problem as i am considering a home cinema kit anyway.

ignorance mode now, but, can you not use component video out of the box without using hacked firmware?

thanks for the reply

M.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm sure the 2.8.5 firmware in my 450 allows you to configure Component via the SCART, though I use RGB so haven't tried it.

5. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Believe it or not but Kiss have wired up 2 of the component pins back to front. I cant remember which but eg plug the green lead in the blue slot and visaversa and all will be ok. If you cant do that then a hacked firmware negates the need.

6. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    if your looking out for a player Richer Sounds have the very highly rated Pioneer DV-575A for only £100, this is very highly rated for its price range and is fully DivX complient.

7. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,302
    cool, that looks a good player, but i do like the personal service of KISS - believe it or not i mailed them 2 nights ago about xbox media player disks working on it (with the xbox media player software AND movies on the same disk) at the moment it is just detected as a jpg picture disk, the only divx player i have got to play it is a cr@ppy old yamada which is poor at everything. less than 24hrs later i got a mail from support saying to chuck a copy in the post & they would work on it & update the firmware if possible.

now if that isnt service out of this world what is!!!, on top of that there are regular updates for firmware anyway.

however i do like the sound of that excellent picture quality (hmmmm that seems poorly worded!!!)