1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok, here's my wallmounted Viera.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by fill, Jul 27, 2004.

1. fill

fill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First off, I hope the images are attached, never done this before.
    I could of put this post in the "Get the Plasmas out - Thread", but I thought it would of got lost and a few people want to set what a Viera is like on the wall. Hope that's ok?

Ok, had the install at the weekend.
    Install Facts:
    How long does it take to fix a 50" Viera to the wall and imbed the wires?
    It took the 2 guys 4 hours to get everything up and running, I already had most of the equipment set up, but they did the amp and all the component cables, and made everything a neat as possible, that took a further hour. They had a 5 hour time frame, and used it.
    BTW, they don't like the flat scart cables!, a real bugger to put in the wall!
    So the install went well.

First impressions of Plasma:
    1. Watching Sky+ via AV1 RGB, very very blurry (yes I've messed with the settings, but I now have them all low to allow run in time - 200 hours approx?) I've gone from a 36" Sony CRT, which just had the most crisp lovely image! If anyone knows photoshop, it's like running a blur of 4 over the screen.
    2. Xbox via AV1 RGB. Again I was used to a super crisp image. Now it's very blurry, infact I stopped after 10 mins and thought that's it's unplayable. Going to get in modded and and then run Hi-Def cables, hopefully that will be better, because at the moment, it's very poor.
    3. Camcorder via R/W/Y AV3 port at the front. Don't even bother. The black are very black, the whites are very white and there are no mid tones, totally unwatchable.
    4. DVD via Component AV4. Ok things are getting better. Running A Denon 3805 via monitor into the plasma, and a Denon 2900 into the amp. I've only test R2 discs at the moment as I need the Firmware disc set over to make it region free. Via progressive the image is good not great, nowhere near as good as my old 36", you can see great detail on large close up images, but people faces in the background are all a little blurry. I also noticed a slight red line around images as they moved in the background. Is this being to picky and will it settle down after the run in time?

Also got a panny 85 at the same time. Ran that via component and didn't notice any difference between that and the Denon at the moment. Spend £100 on the panny offer (inc recorder and Hard Drive) or £800 on the Denon to think you're getting a better player. I do hope things change!

Overall:
    At the moment I'm thinking, why have I just spent £7500? on new AV gear.
    I really do hope that something is wrong here, as using the Scart RGB ports on a Plasma screen is pretty pointless.
    Looks good though, I really like the design of the screen, at it DOESN'T stick out that far!! It would be further/or the same from the wall if I had it on a stand anyway.

Hope this was of help to some people.

Attached Files:

• 1.gif
      1.gif
      Size:
      78.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.gif
      2.gif
      Size:
      87.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.gif
      3.gif
      Size:
      60 KB
      Views:
    • 4.gif
      4.gif
      Size:
      78.3 KB
      Views:
    • 7.gif
      7.gif
      Size:
      75.7 KB
      Views:
  2. killabeez

killabeez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Fill,
    Dont see any pictures myself, so it looks like they did'nt post :(

But the review of your 50" panny shocks me to the bone, got myself a 42" panny and all i can say is mine is 'fantastic' but then again i'm only comparing this with an old 28" Philips crt.
    Lets hope things settle down or sort themselves out cus with that amount spent you deserve a good PQ.

3. fill

fill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I see them as attached thumnails at the bottom. You click on them and they become bigger. Unsure why you can't see them. Am I right in thinking you have to sign in to see images?? If not is there anything I can do?
    Any help would be great.

Thanks.

4. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Nice job Mate. You might want to post this in the 'Get your Plasmas out for the Lads' thread.

5. killabeez

killabeez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    "Attached Thumbnails"

Are there but when i log in all that appears are 4 short lines,,,strange but I still got to see the install, and it looks fatastic on the wall !!
    Mines on the shelved stand cus i needed to put my gear somewhere anywayz.
    Hows the PQ from the inbuilt freeview box ?
    And did the installers not comment on the PQ or where they just installers not there to do any setting up?

""First impressions of Plasma:
    1. Watching Sky+ via AV1 RGB, very very blurry (yes I've messed with the settings, but I now have them all low to allow run in time - 200 hours approx?)""
    How low have you got the settings?
    Got mine set to cinema mode for all inputs at the mo and this seams to be a good place to have things for the run in period, certinely looks like the contrast ect, are turned down quite a bit compared to dynamic or normal mode( was told to do this by
    another forum member)

6. fill

fill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have my setting at:
    Normal and everything about half way. It doesn't look that great, and does look better if I increase the levels, but kinda holding myself back! Oh and sharpness on Max but that doesn't make much difference as the image is SO soft! The MPEG NG (can't remember what's it's called) is also off BTW.
    It's just the image via RGB is SO SO soft overall, and I'm used to a sharp image.
    EXAMPLE:
    On my old set if I went into the SKY+ picture options and changed it from RGB to PAL the picture would go all soft, the colours would be mixed etc.. (I guess you all know anyway), and when you'd change it to RGB (Bling!) all very crisp great image.
    NOW
    On the plasma if you go from PAL to RGB in the Sky settings it makes no difference it just has that PAL look from before, the only thing it does do when you change it to RGB is move the screen up e.g. miss the top of the E4 logo.

Is this right?
    Is this the kinda image quality you get from your screen?
    Is this really what Plasmas are like?

I know you're expanding the image to fill a much larger screen size, but...

thanks
    phil

7. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Why don't you use a RGB -> Component convertor for your XBOX and Sky, pipe them into the your 3805 and just use the monitor out on the 3805 (ok, so all the sound will be thru the 3805)? That way you should see "component like" quality for you XBOX and Sky

8. fill

fill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry couple of your points I didn't reply to.

Freeview:
    I don't use it, I haven't actually got an ariel on the roof!

Installers:
    Yes they were Home Cinema AV installers (What's that red square logo with white text - sorry can't remember the name)?
    But there time was up and they only had a quick look at Finding Nemo via the Denon 2900 and thought it was ok, not great. Didn't get to look at anything else. Shame.

9. fill

fill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FaxFan

I was told about that, regards the SKY picture. Does it really make that much of a difference? Component for Xbox is something I'm looking into now. I could do component via my PAL box I believe, or just go for a modded one with Hi-Def cables and get a much better picture??

So is the picture really this bad as regards RGB ports on plasmas?

10. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Nice set up. As for the screen, didn't you have a look at one running properly before you bought it !

11. fill

fill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I looked at loads, and to be honest I didn't really like any screen. But I remember before I brough my 36" Sony years ago I thought the picture was rubbish, but got it home had a play and loved it.
    I finally saw Spiderman running on a 42" in Alders after a few Home Cinema viewing which I didn't come away from with much hope, and finaly thought actually the picture looks really good.
    And then I set up my mates 42" Viera with his panny 85 via component watched a bit of Finding Nemo, and thought - yes that looks really good. Didn't see any sky+ picture btw.
    But Finding Nemo doesn't look as good on my 50" screen and Denon 2900? For example: the very first screen on the R2 disc where you get to choose english, that was super crisp on the 42". on mine it's like running an (unsharp mask in photoshop) over the screen.

12. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Have you tried running Sky+ through the E85 to act as a rgb to comp convertor ?

13. fill

fill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,
    I have the 85 in the amp at the moment via component, but use the RGB scart signal for viewing the drive. I have viewed DVD's via component on the 85, I guess I'll have to defult the signal of something??

Also just brought a RGB to Component Cable to try out and run that from SKY into the Denon 3805 amp component (see how that looks) I guess if I set the (above text) up it will do the same?

Also brought some component hi-def cables for my xbox, it's only a pal box but it should make it better!

I'll have a play tonight and see what happens.

thanks

14. RoughRider

RoughRider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    "As for the front sockets - black is black, whit is white and nothing in between" I am watching my GF's brand new Viera (37") and this is very much the picture we saw (DVD) with contrast turned right down (on about 1/4 to 1/3) and brightness also turned down to about the same. It looked awesome out of the box but that was b/c contrast was on full. About 190 hours to go now... Finding Nemo looked brilliant. I am very impressed with this picture it really looks like a CRT to me.

How much was service to fit and hide cables by the way?

15. fill

fill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RoughRider
    Unsure by your first comment, but your right in that the picture looks loads better then the contrast and brightness are up. It's a same I have to run them at low levels for now!
    I wish mine looked like a CRT.
    I guess the size increase makes some differance anyway, and there is also the screen pixel size between the two. 37" 800x400 (approx) 50" 1300x700 (approx) I don't know?

As for costs.
    It was through AV Sales who I brought the stuff from, they arranged it and then I spoke to the company direct (called BlueStream).
    They had 4 hours total drive time and 5 hours install time i.e. full day and it cost £520. The wall mount cost around £150 + viera extra bit £17 (£170 total) i think, can't remember. I'm glad I went for the wall mount though, I do really like it, and the stand is £500 (approx) anyway. I guess it's just down to where it's going to go in your room.

thanks

16. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I haven't tried RGB direct to a panel so I couldn't comment, i've tried S-video from NTL to a panel (many say RGB and S-Video are quite close in quality - watch I'll get slated now), then moved to the 3803 and RGB to component convertor and it made a complete world of difference.

A quick test I would try would be to get a hold of cheapy scart convertor (plug) with S-VIDEO. Bang it in the back of the sky box, with a S-video into the 3805. The 3805 will then upconvert to component. Not quite the same as component pass-thru with a RGB -> component convertor but it will give some idea of what to expect. Unless you can borrow a RGB -> component convertor...

17. fill

fill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for that.
    Just brought a RGB > Component lead and am going to try that tonight, hopefully this will make a differance.
    Quick question regards the 3805 amp.
    It has a built in scaler I'm told, can't remember the name of the chip, but is there any way of making any changes to it, or is it just all automatic. Can't see anything in the instructions?

thanks

18. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just got my brand new 37"viera today. I was very nervous about this purchase and have dithered around for ages trying to make a decision.
    I haven't even bought a stand for it yet in case I had to take it back if I wasn't happy with the picture quality.
    So there I was in my living room with the plasma on the floor standing in the bottom of the box.
    I just unplugged my two cheapo scart leads from the back of my exsisting 32" Philips CRT and plugged them into the back of the plasma. One from my Sky+ box and one from my Toshiba 330 DVD player.
    I actually had butterflys in my stomach as I paused before switching the set on.
    My first discovery was that the set dosen't auto switch to the AV source which is playing, my Philips would switch automatically, oh well will have to manually select which AV source to view.
    I first turned on Sky+ which was connected to AV1 in RGB and remember this was connected with the scart lead which come with Sky.
    Well what can I say the picture was sublime, phew what a relief. It has a very smooth cineamatic quality with no pixelation, no solarisation, no colour banding, no jerkyness, infact no plasma problems whatsoever.
    I then turned over to some weaker channels to see what they were like. I first tried Eurosport. Yes admittedly the picture isn't as good, but it is still excellent.
    DVD connected up and switched on playing Phanton Menace (manually switch over AV source again).
    Well what can I say, superb. Again I am using a crap scart lead which I think came with my DVD player.
    Another thing the sound from the built in speakers is astonishing, more than adeqate. Pity I won't be using the sound much as I use my AV amp for all my veiwing.
    The only down side is I have now turned down the contrast and brightness levels to about half way, to run the set in, and in my opinion this is too dull, but bearable.
    By the way I have read the booklet all the way through and it makes no mention of running the screen in, but I bow to the better judgement of more experianced owners.
    If you can't tell I am over the moon with this screen and very happy with my purchase.
    Believe me the picture looks much better in your home than in any store.
    Going to order the stand now so that I can take it out of it's box.
    Sorry this is long winded and has sort of hijacked the original thread, But I thought potential buyers of this screen would like to know.
    Any other questions fire away.

19. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Glad you're happy Orlando, you got yourself a lovely set there.

I'm actually a bit concerned for Fill, as the 50" is a true HD panel and should be knocking out some serious images...I'm sure it must be something fairly simple, fingers crossed.

As for the Viera range, Panasonic certainly did their homework and put out a fantastic product. Something anyone can truly be proud of.

20. fill

fill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

Orlando, glad your over the moon with your set and you have many a happy hour infront of it! I know you what you mean about having all the setting half way, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

Ok, got a component to scart cable to run from SKY to Amp. This didn't work, the picture was all PINKY and jumping around, teh Amp was clicking away, I guess trying to settle it or something, but nothing, didn't work?? Was the cable right, saying that the front of the box had the arrow going from component to scart, is this just a one way cable? Is that why?
    So tried the advice from FaxFan running the Sky through the E85 then the component lead into the amp. YES it works, the picture is a little better, the colours are stronger, you have slightly better definition, still not great, but an improvment over what I had before.

BUT, and this is a BIG BUT, now I have colour motion smearing when things move across the screen, and it's VERY noticable, especially the red lines around the shapes!!
    PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP!!

Right now XBOX, got a Gamestar Hi-Def pack for my pal xbox so I could run component. I know the GameStar one isn't mean't to be that good, but it was the only one I could shop buy, and I just wanted to try component. Again I know it's not true HiDef etc, needs to me modded to get a better picture, but...
    The colours were a lot stronger, the colour definition was better, BUT, it's still blurry, oh 2 out of 3 isn't bad. Had a quick go on PGR2, and it's much better, now playable, but no where near the quality I was used to.

21. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're thinking of a Video Scaler then no, it doesn't have one built in. It does Video Upconversion (S-Video to Component etc), which is something different.

As you've invested all this money in your system why not get it calibrated professionaly? Contact Gordon (Convergent AV) who is a member of this Forum. The results are quite an eye opener. ;)

22. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fill,

I suggest that you contact AV Sales. They are very helpful and should be able to give you some pointers. You have paid a lot of money for this product and clearly you are not happy. I'm sure if you give them a call they will help.

I have a Pio 434 and exepcted that the image on screen would not be a good as my 28" Sony Wega and had prepared myself for this but i have to say that I was very pleased with the picture quality. I saw the Viera and Pioneer at AV Sales and they were very close to CRT. I'm sure that you have a set-up issue here. Speak to the guys who supplied the equipment and give them a chance to help. I'm sure it'll be worth it.

Good luck with sorting this out.

23. fill

fill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info.
    Oh, that's strange, I was told be AV Sales that it had a scaler which I would benefit greatly from. If it's only an S-video / Component convertion, then I never use S-Video on anything so does that mean I'm not gaining anything from using this Amp??

Getting it calibrated professionaly is something I will definatly do, but was told you have to wait until the running in period is over so the screen has settled first. So it looks like i'll be getting that done in about 8 weeks! How do you go about contacting people via this forum?

thanks again.

24. fill

fill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Quinny.
    Will do, I've been speaking to AV Sales (this is who I brought the gear from) and I'll run some questions buy them. They are very helpful.
    But yes, I do think I need a professtional to run over the system, saying that - it was set up by installers, they just didn't get to view everything before they left!
    thanks guys.

25. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The amp should do Composite to S-Video conversion as well. Given the choice I would connect everything directly to the plasma or route everything through a proper video scaler (more expense though).

It's suggested that it's best to have it calibrated after 100 hours of use but I had mine done from straight out of the box. You can contact Gordon either via PM (from his posts or Profile) or click on his Ad Banner in the Forum Sponsors link at the top of the page. :)

26. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Well, I was going to get SKY+ but from what everyone seems to be saying the PQ is pretty poor on plasmas...

But the 3805 will upcovert from S-VIDEO and Composite to component, however I found running via RGB -> Component convertor was better.

They seems to be something fundmentally wrong with the setup or screen to get such poor PQ described- cables or something??

27. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FaxFan2002

I have Sky+ connected to my Pio 434 and have no problems with PQ. Sure some channels can be a little pixelated but no more than on my Sony Wega TV. Don't believe all you read. I was scared that Sky+ would be poor on my plasma after reading posts on this forum and prepared the wife for a bad picture, but I was very impressed by it. Some people's good PQ is another one's bad PQ. I'm a fussy bugger when it comes to things like this and I have to say that I am very happy with it.

All of the information posted here I believe to be in good faith but mustn't be considered definitive!

28. fill

fill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed, what I'm writting here our my own personal opinions with MY setup and MY screen after the first few days of use. It's all my own judgement and wouldn't want to influence anybody.

29. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fill,

That wasn't aimed at you. I was just trying to say that just because a few people on here say that Sky+ is poor on their plasmas this shouldn't be accepted as the norm for all!

30. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The quality of Sky (and other satellite carriers) varies from channel to channel, some look bloody awful because of low bitrates and others look great. It also depends on how they are fed to the Plasma in the first place (via a Video Processor can produce excellent images) and signal type used (RGBHV, Component etc). :)