1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK guys here is the spec thats going to be my HCPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by SLIM, May 1, 2004.

1. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    OK guys here is the spec im looking @ for my HCPC

( 1 ) THE CPU ( AMD ATHLON XP-M 2500+ SKT-A OEM BARTON )£65
    But whot i would like to know is would a AMD Duron 1800Mhz CPU be ok ?? are should i stick with the barton ??

( 2 ) THE MB ( PcChips M848ALU SKT A SIS 748 400 DDR AGPx8 ATA133 6CH Sound/lAN/USB 2.0 Upto a 3.2+ CPU Motherboard in Retail Box ) £23.50 LINK HERE TO SPEC

( 3 ) THE TV CARD ( Compro VideoMate TV Gold TV Card with PVR Auto Power On & Remote ) £35 OK LINK / SPEC

( 4 ) THE GFX CARD ( Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600SE 128MB DDR TV-Out/DVI - Lite Retail ) ARE A ( Asus ATI Radeon 9600SE/TD 128MB - Retail ) THERE BOTH £55 ARE THERIS A THIRD ONE ( PowerColor Radeon 9600SE 128MB - Retail ) £49

( 5 ) THE DVD ROM ( Ther are a lot of dvd rom drives a bout so dont know what 1 to get but im going to spend any more then £20 pounds )

( 6 ) THE PSU ( 400W Passive PFC Power Supply AMD & P4 Ready 12cM Quiet Fan ) ONLY CHEAP £15

( 7 ) THE CASE ( Silverstone SST LC03 Silver ) £108.
    LINK TO SPEC

And i think thats about it .
    SO guys do you think that this system is going to be ok as a HCPC
    :lease: let me know thanks
    PS i have a 120 gb hd thats going to go in it :smashin:

2. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Personally I'd stick with the XP barton as you will need at least this if you decide to play any Hi-Def material on your new machine...

...hope it all goes well for you :thumbsup:

Regards,
    Iain.

3. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    hi dose the spec sound ok to you m8 ?
    Im trying to find a radeon 9500 to go in it but can not find 1 anywear sham realy

4. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I don't own a HCPC (although I'm very interested as I've recently got a projector) so I'm probably not the best person on the forum to ask, you'll most likely get better replies from the more experienced folks here, also I'd take the time and do a search, there's a wealth of info on here in relation to building HCPC's that well worth the effort finding...

In regards to what I've read I think noise level might be a problem, I'd look into getting a heatsink to replace the fan on whatever mobo you get as these can be loud, a quiet heatsink and fan combo for your CPU (especially if your buying OEM as it won't come with either of these) and possibly a quiet fan to replace the one inside your case if you find it too noisy.

I'd stick to your choice of Radeon for the graphics card as they seem to have the best picture quality and unless your wanting to play games on your machine you should be able to get away with one of the 9200 (I think thats the model, the one below the 9600), also go for the fanless cards to keep the noise down.

I've no experience with the mobo you've chosen so I can't comment on it, I've an Nforce2 mobo in my pc which I'm very happy with, they seem to be the best for Athlon XP's IMO (allthough everyone has their own favourite), you can get them quite cheap now (£50+) and they have lots of good features, sound being one of them.

I use a Lite-On dvd drive which is quiet and it's easily flashed to make it multi-region, or you could just stick to a software solution like "Dvd Region-Free" or something similar if your not comfortable flashing your drive.

I'd be slightly worried with your choice of PSU as basicily you get what you pay for in regards to these, do a searh on the forum for PSU to get plenty of info on some quality (and quiet) makes and models, I have an Antec in my pc which seems to be well regarded but there are many others.

That's about it for me, I'll leave it to the more experienced folks to advise you on the rest (and change any mistakes I might have made :blush: :lesson: ). Once again, good luck and I hope it goes well for you...

Regards,
    Iain.

5. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks m8

I was going to go for a nforce 2 but dont think its worth it as theres not going to be any overclocking so it defeats the purpose
    of the Nforce 2 bord

i got a zalman heat sink that im going to use model --->Zalman Flower CNPS6000-Cu Silent Socket A CPU Cooler

The fans im going to be useing are SilenX
    This is going to be the Rear Exhaust) fan

( 1 ) SilenX 60mm 12 dBA Fan
    Specifications
    Dimensions: 60 x 60 x 25mm
    Input: 12V/1.2W
    Speed: 1900 RPM
    Air Flow: 13 CFM
    Noise Level: 12 dBA
    Three Pin Connector
    Four Pin Connector

This would be Bottom(Optional) dont know if im going to use 1 yet
    ( 2 ) SilenX 80mm 14 dBA Fan
    Specifications:
    Fan Dimensions: 80 x 80 x 25mm
    Fan Input: 12V/1.2W
    Fan Speed: 2200 RPM
    Air Flow: 28 CFM
    Noise Level: 14 dBA
    Three Pin Connector
    Four Pin Connector

This will be the fan that site aboth the heat sink
    ( 3 ) SilenX 120mm 14 dBA Fan
    Specifications
    Dimensions: 120 x 120 x 25mm
    Input: 12V/1.2W
    Speed: 1800 RPM
    Air Flow: 58 CFM
    Noise Level: 14 dBA
    Three Pin Connector
    Four Pin Connector

As for the power pack i no what ure saying but im hoping that as this rig is only going to be used for dvd / films/music then it should be ok. And its only £15
    But i did wont a Tagan TG480-U01 480W Silent PSU

SO thats the rest of it.

ANY one else got anything to say like the guys/girls that have a HCPC

6. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    if that psu is a q-tec then DO NOT GET IT. they are ticking time bombs.

Other than that - looks good. especially that case - that's what ive just ordered.......

7. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    no its not a q-tec its just some cheap oem 400 w psu with a 120 mm case fan