1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ok guys decision time on av reciever asp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by systemsdead, Mar 8, 2005.

1. systemsdead

systemsdead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,646
    for all you people in the know im totally baffled on which amp to get being totally new to this,basically my budget is around £250-300 no more as its going to be a birthday pres from mrs,i need it for mostly tv and dvds xbox ps2 gamecube and very little music,speakers i can add on later at min i got 2 old nad speakers and the speakers that came with toshiba 36zp48 bundle which sound fine at the minute.please recommend me something which although not biggest budget should get me started for now thanks.

2. Douzeper

Douzeper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personal choice, but have a look at the NAD Av reviews

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Given that you have music as a low priority I would highly recommend the Denon range of AVRs

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/search?q=Denon+AVR

The above link will give you some details on the models available and the prices that online retailers are offering them at.

NAD as Douzeper suggests certainly are good but in my personal opinion they are not as good at movies/games/tv as Denon but are better at stereo/mulichannel music.

As a word of warning, I have attempted to use 'all-in-one' system speakers with a 'proper' av amp and found that they distorted horribly - I am sure that at least some manufactures claim higher spec for their all-in-one systems than they really are.

4. systemsdead

systemsdead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,646
    ok thanks i think ill go for the 1705 or is it better to get the 1905 dennon seem basically the same to me but then i dont know whats wot,unless someone as got any other suggestions will be ordering at weekend thanks

5. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    For what you are going to spend this is what i would do and it will give you excellent sound without having to use a mish mash of speakers.Buy the yamaha av70 package from unbeatable for £278 it will do everything you need, it has 2optical and 1 coax which should be enough to connect your gear with the change get some decent cables from www.audiovisualonline.co.uk they sell good stuff with fast delivery.
    And i have heard there av packs my son has one in his bedroom which is around 17'x12' and it sounds great.
    A very good value for money package :thumbsup:.
    Cheers Gonzo.

6. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6