Ok, got my Linksys WAG54G up & running.....

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Tetlee, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,788
    Hi all,

I finally bought the Linksys WAG54G and now have it up and running (was amazed how straight forward it was :smashin: ).

So now I seem to be faced with two options and some advise would be a big help.

I currently have the WAG54G set up in the lounge so that I can connect my Xbox and PS2 to Live. Now I want to be able to run my pc (in another room) through the wireless modem as it seems to be much faster than my pc USB modem I'm using at the moment.

Anyway, would I be right in thinking that if I buy a Linksys Wireless-G PCI Card WMP54G, I will be able to keep the Linksys modem in the lounge with the consoles, the pc in my bedroom with the Wireless-G PCI card, and have all running happily together (obviously by all I don't mean Xbox and PS2 connected at the same time)?
    Or......do I really need to have the WAG54G with the pc and buy either the Linksys gaming adaptor or the Asus WL-330 (which seems a cheaper option than the Linksys)?

Any thoughts would be appreciated :hiya:

2. lonestar

lonestar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    hi tetlee

any old wireless-g pci should suffice, but if you're like me then keep all the networking equipment from the same manufacturer.

install the pci card into your PC, configure it with the next IP address in your sequence, or let it dynamically get one from your wag54g if dhcp has been enabled.

when that is done, you should get a system balloon appear above the system tray, to indicate that a wireless network has been detected, and allow you to connect it.

on a separate issue, are you hard-wiring your xbox and ps2, using the network ports at the back of the wag54g?

3. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,788
    Hi Lonestar,

Yes, I think I'm hard wiring my consoles, I have them plugged (well, only my xbox at the mo. as I have only 1 ethernet cable) into the ethernet ports in the back of the WAG54G.

So it sounds as though this will be a good setup :) it'll work out quite alot cheaper than if I had the WAG54G connected directly to the pc and had to buy a gaming adaptor for the consoles.

Cheers for the help :thumbsup:

4. lonestar

lonestar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    reason i ask, is that I am currently connecting my xbox and ps2 to a 4 port hub, and then connecting the 4 port hub to my linksys game adapter, which in turn passes the signal to the linksys access point, and then out onto the internet.

the xbox has no problem connecting to live this way, however, my ps2 always fails at the dns test.

i've tried plugging the ps2 directly into the game adapter, but still get the same error message.

the funny thing is, my ps2 was connecting to play broadband games before i introduced the 4 port hub.

(it may be huffing because i use the xbox for all my gaming instead of it)

5. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,788
    I had a similar problem with my PS2 online, and at that time I was using a long crossover cable to my pc for connection.
    It had me baffled for ages, in the end I followed some advise that I read on a playstation website and reconfigured my settings via an net enabled ingame menu (I used SSX3) and bingo, I was back on track. The PS2 does seem to be tempremental with the online side of things.
    Might be worth a try, I'm gonna test my PS2 later with the WAG54G just to make sure the PS2 likes it :cool:

6. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I am just about to return my wag54.

I find that the wireless drops out every 10 mins or so.
    anyone else?

7. davidm

davidm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Not had any problems with mine. :)

I have my PC connected with an ethernet cable and my xbox connected via wireless. Never had any problems.

Have you tried updating to the latest firmware ??

8. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Yes mine drops the wireless side about every 10 mins, bugger to set up as well. :mad:

9. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    yep, onto latest firmware, no difference.

so pcworld will get a chance to exaplin how to fix it, before it's handed back..

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    i have a linksys router, use ntl, but have a PC running the cheapest ebuyer wireless G card no problem, just had to move router a bit to get good constant signal (just had to pick it up off the floor a bit)