1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK Dumb question alert..!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Semiskimmed1976, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Semiskimmed1976

Semiskimmed1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi All,

I'm very inexperienced with HC, so what i'm about to ask is probably going to greeted by a lot of laughs :blush:

Anyway I wanted to know if there is any difference between a floorstanding speaker when compared to their half box versions...are they called bookshelf speakers? anyway I wanted to know whether the sound produced is different and what the majority of you fine people :smoke: consider to be better...

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    a floorstander will sound alot bigger as a result of having added low frequency extension. However I tend to find that the sound from like priced bookshelf types is more accurate and altogether more enjoyable. This is a personal view and there will be plenty in disagreement.

ad

3. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Bookshelf usually has better WAF (wife acceptance factor) than floor standers :D

I would say there are also satellite speakers. Some may describe these as bookshelf speakers. I wouldn't as they are usually a little smaller still. i.e. Antony Gallos, Bose, Def Tech Pro Cinema.

All these speaker types, unless you go for expensive floorstanders, will need a sub for the low down bass for home cinema. You could get away with using Floorstanders without a sub as they generally go low anyway...but you would be missing some of the rumble.

Got to stop now or I'll just continue rambling.:blush:

4. Semiskimmed1976

Semiskimmed1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    haha thats cool - basically like everything - its down to personal preference?

I prefer the look of the floorstanders, but was pretty sure that someone said on here that you lose something in the sound...can't remember what. Like a lot of things, i'm gonna have to do demos to see what my ears say :( I know it sounds funny, but i'm doing so many demo's of different kit, I don't think i'll ever get round to buying something!! grr :mad:

5. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    dedicated subs go down lower than most floor standers. I have floor standers. Great for music but I loose some low down bass. I'm going to put that right in the next month or so...get me a nice sub :)

6. Semiskimmed1976

Semiskimmed1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    What have you got at the moment? And what sub you thinking of purchasing?

7. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I have Cerwin Vega vs10's.

Probably (95% sure) I'll get a Velodyne SPL-800 (powerful and compact www.av-sales.com)

I'll then try my rear satellites (def tech pro cinema 100's) with the sub to see if I can live with the satellites for left & right front duties. If they sound fine I'll move the floor standers into another room for pure music duties and buy another pair of satellites....if that makes sense :D

A number of people rave on about SVS...US company that sells over the web. So you won't find anywhere to demo...which puts me off. suposed to be very good quality and very good value...Ian J will tell you.