Ok, bought my first Pokemon game. Help!!!!

RetroGlide08

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As a "mature" gamer I thought it was about time I try out the Pokemon phenomenon. So I purchased a 3DS XL along with the Y version of the game. I'm embarrassed to say that I've pretty much not got a clue what to do. Have got as far as meeting up with the professor and he's given me a couple of things. I have half a dozen pokemon collected with a pikachew leveled up to 11 at the moment.
Does anyone have any pointers/tips????

Just play through it, catch as many Pokemon as you can, beat anybody that challenges you and speak top every person you pass as they can give you various items for free

Taken the below off this website: Parents' Guide to Pokémon | Pokemon.com
In most games, the player takes on the role of a young Trainer, whose journey involves traveling from town to town catching and training Pokémon, and battling against other Trainers' teams of Pokémon on a quest to become the Pokémon League Champion. An additional goal is to catch and catalog all of the many Pokémon within the game's world. All Pokémon have one or two innate element types that reflect the Pokémon's strengths or weaknesses. For example, Water-type Pokémon have a natural advantage over Fire-type Pokémon, who in turn have an advantage over Grass-type Pokémon, and so on. Despite this battling aspect of the games, the Pokémon games avoid explicit violence; Pokémon never die during the course of the game. Trainers are invited to take part in many peripheral activities when playing, including talent and beauty contests, tournaments, and fishing (for Pokémon, of course!).

Players can battle and trade Pokémon with other players as well, letting children learn the merits of sharing and sportsmanship. With newer video game systems such as the Nintendo DS and the Wii console, players can even play and trade Pokémon via Nintendo Wi-Fi Contention® with other Trainers around the world.

As a "mature" gamer I thought it was about time I try out the Pokemon phenomenon. So I purchased a 3DS XL along with the Y version of the game. I'm embarrassed to say that I've pretty much not got a clue what to do. Have got as far as meeting up with the professor and he's given me a couple of things. I have half a dozen pokemon collected with a pikachew leveled up to 11 at the moment.

I've done the same thing!
First ever Pokemon game and bought a 3ds XL along with the Y version! LOL!

A 'kid' game? I am finding it tougher than GTA V! :facepalm:

I've done the same thing!
First ever Pokemon game and bought a 3ds XL along with the Y version! LOL!

A 'kid' game? I am finding it tougher than GTA V! :facepalm:

Somebody posted this on HUKD which I think about sums it up
pokemon-my-little-pony-call-of-duty-Favim.com-602213.jpg
[/IMG]

Basically you want to think of Pokemon as being like a complex paper / rock / scissors game and ideally you want a range of Pokemon so that you can always have a Pokemon who is capable of dealing damage regardless of type.

This chart might help you as regards this:
http://pokemondb.net/type

Good Pokemon for you to catch early are Riolu on route 22. He is rare but well worth trying to catch. He will eventually when he is happy with you and during the day time evolve into Lucario who is a very strong Pokemon. He will cover your fighting class all the way through to the elite four at the end of the game.

Also with your starters make sure you chose differing types: e.g. I chose Chespin (Grass) so when I got the Kanto starters I chose Squirtle (Water). I could have chosen Charmander (Fire) but didn't as currently on the Mystery Gift via WiFi Nintendo are giving a way Torchic (Fire) who is also another good Pokemon.

At the end of the day though if you are just playing the game and not battling competitively you could in reality just complete the game with any Pokemon so just have fun. If you have any questions feel free to post here and I will try and help.

Well, being a 'cancer' which is a water star sign - I picked the Frog at the start and turtle with the professor! lol

if i bought this game (like OP ive never touched it before) could i just play it for the collecting aspect, like will they be hiding as you walk around? or do you have to win some in battle? as pathetic as it sounds that appeals to me more than any levelling up and battles!

if i bought this game (like OP ive never touched it before) could i just play it for the collecting aspect, like will they be hiding as you walk around? or do you have to win some in battle? as pathetic as it sounds that appeals to me more than any levelling up and battles!

You need to battle people to progress through the world and therefore get access to new areas and new pokemon. Once you've beaten the game, however, you can pretty much just run around collecting monsters till your heart's content :)

how many pokemon are there in the game to collect? would this game be the 'best' game to buy? i would play it with my 6 year old son too

Ok, looks like I'm in a battle and all 6 of my current pokemon could lose. What happens should that happen?

One of the reasons, I bought it was so I could use the future Pokeman Bank service and pass on my Pokemon to my kids! (when I have some) ;)

I am doing a blind playthrough, and slowly getting to grips with it.

how many pokemon are there in the game to collect? would this game be the 'best' game to buy? i would play it with my 6 year old son too

There's about 750 pokemon so it'll take a while to find them all! There are some pretty inventive ways to evolve your monsters too, beyond just raising their level. Some need special stones used on them, some only evolve when traded, some evolve depending on the time of day or their happiness level when they level up, and there's one in the new games that evolves if you hold the 3DS upside down!

By the way, Serebii.net is the best resource on the web for info - you could spend days reading all the content! It might help you on your journey to collect them all :)

thanks for informative reply. now to locate a 3ds after i was gazumped on the forums yesterday!

Ok, looks like I'm in a battle and all 6 of my current pokemon could lose. What happens should that happen?

If you battle and all six of your Pokemon lose all that happens is you pay some money to the person that beat you and you are then transported to the nearest Pokemon centre where they will heal your Pokemon.

I've currently just beaten the second Gym and have caught all the catchable Pokemon in each area. Some of them such as Mawile I spent 3 hours in the glittering cave searching for :(

Currently my team is as follows:

Chesnaught - lvl 40
Blaziken - lvl 42
Blastoise - lvl 41
Amaura - lvl 34
Shelgon - lvl 31
Lucario - lvl 31

I'm going to switch Aurora for Honeedge and I maybe will swap Lucario for Heracross.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom