1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok 3K to spend on 1st plasma and advice needed!!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Bedo, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Bedo

Bedo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The good lady wife has agreed that I can put a plasma (42") on the wall as we are having work done on our house and we have agreed a maximum of £3k to spend. My problem is that I cannot decide on which route to go..ie plasma tv or panel.

My current set up is:

Sony 28" CRT
    Sony DVD Player (no component connection)
    Sky Panasonic digibox
    Xbox (non modded)

My ideal solution would be to go with a panel however as you can see from above I would need to purchase an AV receiver, new DVD player (for progressive scan plus possible DVD-A, SACD), speakers for home cinema setup, then there is the cabling, converters for scart to VGA, terminal boards (component for dvd player) and also now HD Ready to consider. I know that at the moment and perhaps for the next 2 years this might not be an option for me but as I expect the plasma to last longer than 2 years I cannot drop the idea of buying an HD Ready display. After buying all this there would not be an awful lot left of £3k (none if I were to go for say the PHD8...in fact I would not be able to afford the majority of this if I went for the PHD8). Or should I just forget about HD Ready and go for an SD Panel like the PWD8 which would make this just about affordable?

Another option is to go for something like the new Pioneer 436xde and then just buy a DVD player with progressive scan capabilities which is the easier option and more wife friendly!! The doubts I have with this is the PQ when using SKY (not +) as this is about 80% of our viewing (although am hoping to use it more for home cinema and convince the wife to use the existing TV in the conservatory!!!)

So for £3k the easiest way and only way for me to have an HD Ready plasma is to go for the Pioneer (do not like the look of the Samsung (sorry to Samsung owners) - nothing to do with picture quality - I just like the look of panels and the Pioneer although a TV looks more panel like IMO!!)

So after rambling on for so long :boring: ..the real issue for me is PQ vs HD Ready..I guess I'd just like to hear other peoples opinions on this as to which option they would go for if they had the opportunity.

Many thanks in advance of your views

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Have it all, get a PHD8 and a scaler, and a universal remote for 'er indoors. You could use an iscan, which will pass through HD siganls, and scale all to 720p. Or, with the universal, you could have it scale to native on analogue, and switch to HDMI just for HD content. This is all achievable in your £3k budget, do you have an AV system, ie amp and speakers already?

3. Bedo

Bedo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Maw

This is the one problem, I have a very simple set up at the moment CRT, DVD, SKY, XBOX - no AV Amp/Speakers etc...this is why I do not think my budget will stretch to a PHD8?

Also my DVD player is not progressive therefore and after scanning the threads on this forum for quite a while now it seems that component/progressive is about as good as it gets for DVD performance...hence the need to invest in a new DVD player..so if going for a panel I think I would need to purchase the following:

1. Plasma
    2. Component terminal board
    3. RGB to VGA converter
    4. Scart Switchbox.
    5. DVD Player
    6. AV Receiver
    7. Surround sound speakers
    8. Cables (audio and video)

I guess the list could go on!!!

To put it in perspective I will be sitting approx 4-5 metres away from the screen and therefore would you say that having HD ready plasma would really make that much difference to the quality of viewing?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    HD compatible might easily do you at 4m. George Lucas himself reckons the sou nd is 1/2 the movie, I agree. So, £1500 on video, £1590 on sound.... Well maybe stretch the % a bit! The AV amp is in both camps these days. PWD8 might fit the bill, or MXE-1 and upgrade it with an HDCP stripper in time to come. The PWED you don't actually need the HDMI board now, save the money, buy it later. Amp dvd and speakers you can certainly do at say, £1200, the result will blow your socks off. Many amps have a learning remote too. The system will need some design thought, a good dealer will do this for you, and sell you a 'home cinema kit' so to speak.

5. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Great advice, e.g. the difference in clarity between DD & Pro-Logic (never mind stereo) when Linda Hamilton talks at the start of T2 is night and day.

Marry a decent amp, speakers and sub to a decent panel and you will be in AV heaven.

6. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The VGA connection on the 8 series accepts a component signal.
    No need for a converter, a simple VGA <-> component lead will do.

Something to keep in mind, budget-wise. ;)

7. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Bedo - I was recently in the same boat as you, plasma and sound on a fairly tight budget and managed to get it in at £2800. I picked up a PWD8, AV Amp, DVD Recorder and surround sound speakers. Only other source I have is Sky+. I didn't bother with connecting up any games kit, kids have PS2 etc, I want to be able to watch the plasma, not fight with the kids for time on it.

I ditched my existing Sony DVD Player as it was not component either, I use the Amp to swith everything through. I have only one input from the Amp to the screen which is component to VGA in the screen. The results for the budget are awesome. And the kids can still connect up their PS2 via the DVD if I'm feeling charitable. The PWD8 while not HD ready is HD Compatible i.e. it will display the future Sky HD offering albeit scaled down if I purchase the correct input board for the screen which is only about a hundred quid but it's something I don't need to pay for now.

Anyway, enjoy the research, it's half the fun.

8. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can bear to watch TV through your sound system, it means its extremely poor quality.

9. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    You can pick up old stock of the 435FDE but it's still gonna eat up most of your budget. I think you have to sacrifice HD Readiness for HD Compatibility (i.e. less pixels but still shows a HD image in most of its glory).

PWD8 is the bees knees, no need for component board using VGA. Get yourself HDMI now for the sake of it otherwise you'll only pay a 50% surcharge to buy it seperately later! Go for something like the Yamaha amp and Toshiba DVD (budget HDMI deck), bundle in speakers from someone like Mission, Mordaunt Short, Kef, AE etc and you've got a killer sub £1500 audio system. £1400 odd for the plasma, and the rest for cabling. Plenty of scope for upgrading later in all areas, but a well balanced system now that will likely blow your socks off.

10. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sensible advice. :smashin:

Possible options on the AV front are: -

Wharfedale Diamond HCP AV speaker package @ £500
    Denon AVR1906 Receiver @ £300
    Denon 1920 DVD player @ £300
    Cables ~ £150

There are numerous options on the AV front, but a good system can be purchased for under £1,500. Thus leaving £1,500 or so for the display.

Best value display for circa £1,500 has to be the Panny PWD8 I would have thought.

If you can acquire a further £600 (by selling the wife's car or something), then the PHD8 is an option.

Good luck.

Mark

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Superpixel, I don't understand your post at all, what's poor quality?

12. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Yeah I was lost on that too!

One thing on Panny plasmas, remember to budget for boards on the screen, bracketry etc. In default guise they only have s-video sockets and a VGA (which accepts component). You're looking at £100 ish for each extra HDMI or scart socket you add.

13. Bedo

Bedo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all who commented...I have decided to go with the PWD8 as it seems the best compromise ie good PQ with HD compatibility. I will post later my probable purchases for the home cinema setup and again your opinions will be greatly appreciated.

14. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    An excellent choice, the SD Panasonic panels are in the top 5 for a quality image at any price on a 42".

I am trying to think of another 42" I would rather have other than the HD version? With HD material it absolutely rocks, the inky blacks that you get with HD really shine through on them.

15. Bedo

Bedo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So this is the setup I am thinking of getting:

Plasma: Panasonic TH42PWD8BS
    DVD: Denon DVD1920
    AMP/REC: Denon AVR1906
    Speakers: Looking for 5.1 setup around £300-£500 including 4xfloorstands
    Cables:
    3RCA to RGB Scart x 2 (SKY & XBOX to Amp)
    3RCA to 3RCA (DVD to Amp)
    3RCA to VGA (Amp to Plasma)
    Speaker cables - unsure what type to get

Anyone have any thoughts if this is an OK setup and perhaps some recommendations on speakers etc?

Thanks Bedo

16. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    perfect, except:
    . Scart RGB to component YUV is NOT a pin for pin connection. The two signals operate in different colourspaces with different syncs. I advise you get component video leads for the XBox, and a JS Technology RGB to Component converter for the Sky box so that all signals are then component and can then run through the amp. Extra £150 for the converter, but well worth it for fluid source changing at best possible quality.

17. Bedo

Bedo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Liam

Still a newbie in the AV world so all this help is really appreciated.

Bedo