Oil Boiler Pump Bleeding

PsyVision

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Hopefully someone can help... we have an oil powered boiler at home. We ran out of oil a few days ago and the system was running before we realised and turned it off. We now have a full oil tank but I can't get the boiler started again. The 'lockout' light keeps lighting. I suspect that the system has got air in it where the tank had run dry.

Various posts on the web say about bleeding the air and then the pump should start again, where do I do this?

The boiler is a Grant multi pass 70/90.

Thanks!

Bbrrrrr it's chilly in here!

I have a grant v3 boiler, you would need to follow the oil feed pipe from your tank to the boiler, and at any junction with a nut compression joint connection is to undo slightly to allow oil to flow and follow as far as you can. you could try the furthest first.

Good luck not my trade, but have run out of oil before.

I would also check water pressure on the boiler as mine will lock out if low.

So I've done a bit more reading and watching. This video which shows a similar RDB to mine:

Shows the return line bypass screw being loosened to let the air out I believe - http://www.rielloburners.co.uk/images/content/downloads/RDB1-2_2902489-18.pdf (Page 15 Fig 13).

I will give that a go tomorrow evening!

Out of interest, I noticed a few things in the RDB manual saying flexible pipes should be replaced every 2 years and filters every 1. We have lived here for 1.5 years now. Do you ever replace parts or have a yearly service etc?

I get mine serviced every year and the nozzle/burner is replaced annually. Flexi's were changed last year.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom