Oil based substance on denon receiver and how to remove.

Daniel chapman

Novice Member
Reaction score
IMG_1589.JPG
my kids have managed to get what I think is a oil based substance on to my amp and I can't move it, i am in the process of selling it to get in upgrade can anyone suggest what to use to shift the stains safely, I have enclosed a picture

Try using a solution of washing up liquid and water. Obviously turn the receiver off prior to cleaning it and allow to dry thoroughly before turning it back on. Make sure you unplug the receiver during cleaning.

It probably isn't oil or grease then? Maybe have one of your kids forensically analysed to find out what it is that they contaminated your receiver with? Keep them in a locked cupboard until you can ship them to a lab.

Hi
If you get some WD40 and spray it on a cotton cloth, do not use micro fibre or nylon mix and then clean surface it should work fine, you will have to clean the rest of the surface as well as it will look different to the bit you have cleaned

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
That looks like some form of maker pen rather than a liquid spill. Start with Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) then try WD40 followed by IPA or a degreaser that is oranges based (like sticky stuff remover).

Be very careful with IPA it can remove some surfaces but should be ok with this as it's a chemical black process that they use on alloy

This is the stuff arcam (and probably a bunch of others) use to clean their amps before shipping.
It's top notch stuff and nothing else gives that brand new finish. Ive used it for greasy finger prints and worked a charm.

Reas the instructions first as it's flammable.

400mL Aerosol Foam Cleaner Spray | RS Pro

If it's oil based, you need something which will 'dissolve' oil (an appropriate solvent).

Washing up liquid and water will not act as a solvent on an oil based chemical - oil is not soluble in water and washing up liquid is designed to emulsify fats - often good for animal fats but not fossil fuel based oils.

Petrol is a good one. No i'm not suggesting you cover your amp in petrol and set it up. Get an old rag, small spot of petrol on it in a corner and rub/dab gently. If it's oil based then the petrol will dissolve and remove it. The petrol will quickly evaporate off the amplifier - it won't leave a mark if the amplifier is metal/anodised construction and not painted.

You'd be amazed how many people swear by petrol for cleaning. It's amazong for cleaning old oil lamps with tarry kerosene deposits.

Spirit works well for 'permanent' markers if there's a suspicion it's that you could try before.

For what it's worth, you children probably aren't running around with kerosene based products. Sure it's not something sticky sugar based?

Why were the kids pouring fossil fuels on your AV receiver?

Hide the matches! :lesson:

Have tried white sprit and not shifting.
Tried the stuff I suggested? RS send it out next day delivery for free.
Even if it doesn't remove the marks it's a top notch cleaner.

Have now sold the receiver for £300 on eBay so it's someone else's problem now but could not shift the marks at all..

Not enough petrol applied by the sounds of it ;)

WD40 would have got rid of it, if not degreaser wipes from halfords would work - these are used to take out impurities on car paint work prior to spraying.

For reference, WD40 will get rid of almost any stain.....from your clothes also ;)

Have now sold the receiver for £300 on eBay so it's someone else's problem now but could not shift the marks at all..
Now we will never know [emoji20]

I'm surprised no one has contacted the authorities to report the kids. They appear to have developed a substances that cannot be removed by man and they may be a threat to society?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom