1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

ohms?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by H4r7y, Dec 30, 2003.

1. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone want to shed some light on the old ohm situation for me.
    ive got a boggy sony av amp which ive just got a set of speakers for. looking on the back of each speaker it reads 4 ohms, i was always under the impression that 4 ohms is a bad thing. just wanting someone to clarrify that i can use these speakers safely without any damage to my amp.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    depending on your circumstance..... 0.0000001 ohms is a good thing, or 999999999999 could likewise be! Its the other surrounding info that matters...... in other words here it is saying that 4 ohm speakers are the toughest load it would have you use.... so you can use any speaker with 4 ohm or higher impedence...... but higher is better if the amp is 'boggy'

ad

3. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply buns, am i risking anything by running these speakers on my amp? what sort of stuff would need to be considered?

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    oh jees..... very sorry H4r7y (make it hard to type your name why dont you! :p :D), I didnt read carefully enough. I thought you said that on the sony amp it said 4 ohms..... sorry about that.

Are there any switches relating to the impedence on the sony? What impedence are the other speaker you are using? What levels do you listen at? What is the sensitivity of these 4 ohm speakers?

sorry to complicate! In short, being sensible, you are probably just fine, for the main speakers, most amps will cope with 4ohms. If you want more certainty, my questions are because there might be a switch for using lower impedence speakers, the impedence of other speakers matters because it will be the load resultant from all channels, so if all 5 were a big load, it would be more of a problem. The level you listen at and sensitivity are important because if you listen at moderate volumes and the sensitivity is high, then it needs less from the amp to achieve the levels and you then wont drive it so hard.

all the best

ad

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    4 Ohm is "bad" if the amp can't cope with such a load. However at normal listening levels (and in particular if the speakers run as SMALL) this would not be of a problem even with a budget / less-powerfull amp.