1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ohms , ohms , ohms !!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by DodgeTheViper, Nov 1, 2001.

1. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,211
    Hi all ,

If an amplifiers impendance states 6-16 ohms for speakers, what difference will it make if you hook up 4 ohm speakers ? Will they possibly blow up because of the higher voltage being passed to them ?

Thanks in anticipation !

Kev

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    No worries if you keep your volume levels moderate. Nothing should blow and most amps have a protection circuit build-in.

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,487
    the lower the ohms, the harder your speakers are to drive!!

So if your amp recommends 6-16 ohms, using 4 ohms speakers, the amp may struggle at louder volumes, and could damage your speakers.!!

4. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,211
    Thanks for that .

Would the Amp volume have to be turned up higher for a 4 ohm speaker than say a 8 ohm speaker to get the same results ?

And what about protection circuits , either within the speakers or the amp ?

Chers
    Kev

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,487
    its not as simple as that!!

If you crank up the volume on yor amp, with 4ohm speakers, the amp is going to have to work harder to produce higher volumes.

This causes the music/movies/output to sound "strained" and can become tiresome to listen to. also driving your speaker to hard can cause permament damage to your speakers!!

Your best bet is to use a 4ohm resistor in the speaker path, but this can cause an "un-pure" sound, and is not recommended.!!

6. graham_ew

graham_ew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also asked this question a couple of weeks ago as i had ordered 6 ohm speakers when my amp required 8 ohm but i was told that it should be ok, and they are:) i even emailed wharfedale who replyed saying they would be fine so as your amp wants 6 ohm and you have 4ohm i would also say you will be fine just dont go silly with the volume levels

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Note that it also depends on the sensitivity of the speakers how hard they are to drive.
    Sensitivity is measured in "dB", the higher the easier to drive.

Though it is correct that a 4 Ohm speaker usually makes the amp to work harder this does not necessarily reflect in the volume and if you keep things within normal levels I don't see a problem with overloading the amp or damaging the speakers.
    But if you can hear any form of distortion then cut down the volume, else your speakers could really get damaged.

Ah, and please, no resistor into the path: a 4 Ohm resistor with, say, 50 Watt would be fairly big and function as a heater. :D

8. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,211
    Thanx guy,s for your input.

I,m getting the impression that this would not be a problem providing volume levels were sensible. Now what do you call sensible? Would you say half way around the dial ? which is normally around my level.

The amp by the way is rated at 105w per channel. the speakers at 50 - 150w with sensitivity at 89db.

Amp is Denon 3802 , speakers M&K Kseries.

Thanx again
    Kev

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sensible is if your neighbours don't flee the building or call the police. :D

Just follow the basic rule: when the sound becomes distorted or the amp's protection circuit kicks in then it's too loud (or rather too much load for the amp).

The power ratings of amp and speakers appear to match and a sensitivity of 89dB is pretty good (easy to drive).