Ohh Lordy!!

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Magus, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Magus

Magus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    I have been wanting a HD TV for a while but finances have not allowed for such an extravagance. However at work I look after the IT sides of things & ordered a new PC for the company & while doing it saw that I could upgrade the monitor to a Dell 2405FPW from a 19" for £340.00. I convinced them that I would pay the £340 & would give them my 17" Dell flat screen instead. SO now I am starring at a beautiful 24" screen at resolutions of 1900 x 1200 which makes my pants all sticky!! Better still I have hooked up the 360 & everything looks soooooooooooo sweeeeeeeet.

Not to worry this is not just a brag but there is a valid question here.

I am wondering if there is anyone out there using this monitor on a 360 or perhaps others using a pc monitor could advise. At the moment I have the 360 hooked up via official vga cable @ 720p. This monitor does vga, DVI (currently used by PC), S-Video, Composite & Component.

The thing is that I also have the cable that came with the premium pack for HD but I am in the middle of moving house & it is amongst 10-20 boxes that are packed. Before I go on a mad search to find the original HD lead can anyone tell me if the output on a component is significantly better on this monitor (or any other monitor) than the vga.

Many thanks in advance

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    from what i've heard it'll produce a slightly different image apparently......i think the VGA is supposed to be a crisp and clean looking image, like most PC games, whereas the HD component cable u get with the premium pack supplies a more console like effect in comparison.....

i use the HD component cable from my 360 to my 720p projector and it looks gorgeous, i cant use the VGA as my computer already takes up that port on the projector...lol...otherwise i'd give my own opinion on the differences rather than what i've seen others say....

3. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Component connection all the way. I've tested both, and on my 2405 component looks so much better. The colours on VGA looked terrible, as did the brightness.

4. Anotherlimey

Anotherlimey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +930
    My LG Plasma down stairs VGA looks stunning, On the LCD upstairs VGA looks washed out, Depends on your set i guess:confused:

5. OldAndSenile

OldAndSenile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I have the Dell 26" TV\Monitor and the VGA image is a lot better than the Component one.. I think the response time is better through the VGA connection, too, as I used to be able to notice the slow response time with the component cable and fast games, I can't with the VGA.

The colours are slightly stronger with component, but not so much so that I'd use it in preference to the VGA cable, which looks awesome.

6. dodger747

dodger747

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    As above it really does depend on your indivdual panel and settings...

7. rigs

rigs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've got a 24" Dell ,and personally i like the image using component best.Rigs

8. Magus

Magus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    Well I went & dug out the lead (& guess what...it was in the last box I opened :mad: ). I found the colours really saturated playing burnout but that maybe cos I got used to the colours on the vga. Will give it a go on a few other games n c what happens. Cheers anyway people!!

9. dodger747

dodger747

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Well you wouldn't open any more once you found it, would you?:smashin:

10. stu.artd

stu.artd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I have a 360 and use a VGA cable to connect it to my Dell 2405 and am happy with the colours, brightness etc... I do have an official component cable as well and will try that sometime for a comparison.

11. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    One word. component!

12. Magus

Magus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    :mad: :mad: :mad:

Part of me wants to cry...

Part of me wants to smack him...

Part of me says its only a monitor!!

Damn!

I've had it for 2 days & dug the component & played it on that last night & this morning. All so sweet.

Left to go & look at some property & came back to see that my 15 year old nephew has shot a f~!!ing hole into my screen with a plastic gun...

Dell 24.jpg

Now at the point of impact runs a white horizontal & dark green vertical line...

I felt like putting a bullet in his head!

:mad:

13. boylucifer

boylucifer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Ouch!!!

14. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

15 years old? Under 10 you could forgive him, but at mid-teens he's just an idiot - he could be driving on our roads in less than 2 years.

The parents need a talking to mate. If they are decent people they will cover the costs of a replacement for you.

15. jimbobaggins

jimbobaggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    It would look ok as long as you make sure you only open a window in the bottom corner.

Not much good for 360 though.

16. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Make the kid pay. Tell him to wash cars, deliver papers and make the irresponsible idiot pay. At 15 he should be left in no doubt that actions have consequences. [gets soapbox out:mad: ] This is what's wrong nowadays - no-one is ever to blame, things are just 'taken care of'. The sooner he learns that other peoples' property should be respected, the better.

17. Magus

Magus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    Spoke to his mother (my sister) & she said to try the home insurance route although I agree with you guys is that it should come out of his pocket so he can learn consideration for other & their environments...I believe a valubale lesson for all.

At the moment all I want is what I had yesterday this time...which was a beautiful screen playing burnout at 720p. Think the box may have to go back on SD as this line across the centre of the screen is far too annoying for gameplay.

Not a happy boy today!!

:rolleyes:

18. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    What was your nephews excuse for shooting at your screen? I would be seriously pee'd off. I think he should pay for it too. Only right, maybe next time he will think twice about ruining other peoples property. If you do claim on your house insurance you will have to pay an excess and your premimums will rise next year. Either way its gonna cost you. Insurance or new display.

I feel for you mate.

19. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I would be furious
    get his parents to pay

20. MonkeyKnuckle

MonkeyKnuckle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +718
    now i havent met your family so dont take this the wrong way, but he sounds like a spoilt brat. hes 15, he can get a job next year. then pay it off.

i would be furious espically if they just said 'oh go get the insurance to pay it off'

its like getting into their car and smashing it into a tree, 'oh dont worry the insurance will sort it out'

i would tell his parents to tell him to get a job and give all his earnings to you until it is paid off(maybe a bit extra) that should teach him a lesson.

or get the parents to pay for it and then they can get the money off him later.

:)

21. Cowden_harley

Cowden_harley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    From a legal point of view this is a chargable offense.

Vandalism mainly as an offense however, the use of a plastic BB gun adds extra to the charge.

Him being 15 makes him AND his parents accountable(in scotland certainly). When parents are told this they usually 9/10 help reach a positive solution to the issue, in this case replacement/fixing of your monitor.

It may be worth dropping that into conversation.

22. Magus

Magus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    He said that he was sitting at my desk & was holding the gun & went off accidently...thought the safety catch was on...

My thoughts are why the hell is he sitting directly facing my monitor with the guns barrel pointing at thr screen...safety catch on or off...why do such a thing!

Monkeyknuckles...about him being a spoilt brat...you are right, running with streaks of arrogance & selfishness that most teenagers carry with them these days.

As far as the insurance things goes...I'm not sure it will be viable. As I stated I got this monitor via a package from work & therefore the receipt is not to me but the company, & don't think they will let me claim off their insurance. Furthermore, as a package the monitor cost me £340 but to buy it on its own from Dell costs £943 & that is what I am asking for.

Its been a **** weekend all round

23. dancleary1

dancleary1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Am gutted for you mate. Personally I would give the 15 year old with a pellet gun a crack round the head.

However, in this day and age that is frowned upon, so I would break his legs instead.

24. ShadowMoses

ShadowMoses

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Get his mom (your sister) or his dad to pay for it.

Someone has to pay for it. You can't throw £300+ away like that.. :nono:

25. OldAndSenile

OldAndSenile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Send Gillsfan's kids round to your sisters house to eat all of your nephew's favourite DVDs and CDs.. That'll learn 'em! :rotfl:

26. stu.artd

stu.artd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Did you get the monitor as part of a PC/package through the Home Computing Initiative from your work ?

If it was the package isn't yours, it belongs to your employer until the 3 years are up and the lease is completed, although you are the party responsible for insuring the item against damage etc..

I agree completely with what others have said, this needs to be replaced by the boy or his parents. Regardless of how much the monitor cost you the full price of a replacement should be what you receive.

You can get the Dell 2405 for £705 with delivery on top of that, that's with a 4yr onsite warranty.

27. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I got mine for £570 delivered from RDC on eBay. They had to replace the first one I had as it had backlight problems - but overall I've been happy with them, and a good price too.

28. grambles

grambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...and just think you'd be the one to go to jail if you shot him square in the face. What a pity.

29. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    The 15 yeasr old lad sounds like trouble and it also sounds like his parents are turning a blind eye. I bet the thought it would be cool to shoot something that at the time was displayed on your screen.

Family or not, I dont think he would be welcome at my house again or at the very least not for a long time.

BTW how much would it cost to get repaired?

30. Magus

Magus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    Not sure about repair costs, I guess it needs a new panel. Would want a new one though so would offer them to take this for £943 & they can do with it what they please. The whole family is coming round tommorrow (i have a large family, 4 sisters & 7 nephews & nieces between them but thankfully not all of them are as bad as this) so will find out what is happening but will clearly state that I want a new one from Dell with warranty (which is £943). It still burns me every time I look at the screen. :(