1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh, why can't I find things funny like normal people?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by NicolasB, Mar 22, 2003.

1. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +659
    Over the years it's become increasingly evident to me that my sense of humour is woefully under-developed, or at least woefully out of step with that of the great majority. There are so many things I simply don't find very funny at all that I am obviously supposed to, and that others seem to be able to. :(

I wondered if there is anyone else on this forum who has a similar problem?

Here's a breakdown of some of my humour blindspots.

Things That I Can't Even Begin To Find Funny

The Young Ones
    Reeves and Mortimer
    Lenny Henry (although I liked the "Three Of A Kind" series)
    The League Of Gentlemen
    Ant And Dec
    The Fast Show

Things That Can Make Me Smile But Only Very Occasionally

Red Dwarf
    Friends
    Frasier
    Blackadder (first series was the best)
    Only Fools And Horses
    Spitting Image
    Monty Python (TV series - some of the films are better)
    Goodness Gracious Me
    Austin Powers
    The Office
    Absolutely Fabulous
    Garfield
    Ali G
    Smack The Pony

Things That Do Actually Make Me Laugh A Lot

Being John Malkovich
    The Goon Show
    The Goodies
    Earlier series of Whose Line Is It Anyway (esp. John Sessions)
    Victoria Wood
    Rory Bremner & co when talking about Iraq
    Coupling
    The Simpsons & Futurama
    Airplane
    If I Ruled The World (political "quiz" with Jeremey Hardy and Graeme Garden)
    Have I Got News For You (before they sacked Angus)
    One Foot In The Grave
    Yes, Minister
    A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum
    Buster Keaton
    Dilbert (not so fond of the animated version)
    Soap (70s "sitcom")
    Victor Borge

Hey, that third list isn't that short. Maybe there's hope for me after all. :)

2. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I feel the same way Nic, I'm sorry to say that British comedies in particular are a bit braindead, how anyone can find Shooting Stars remotely humerous is beyond me. America too though has some criminals as well, Austin Powers is made for dumb kids from what I've seen, no thought goes into the humour.

Films/TV that constantly make me laugh are :

Buffy/Angel (people who don't know about these shows don't know what they are missing humour wise)

Zucker Bros Films like Airplane, Top Secret, Naked Gun and the TV series Police Squad

East Is East (IMO the best British movie in the last 30 years)

HeartBreakers - Brilliant script really makes this movie, Jennifer Love Hugetits is a bonus

Any of the Jason Vorhees films after part 6 were hilarious I thought, he became an anti-hero IMO :D

I'm quite partial to teen comedies as well but they are not classics, things like Legally Blonde, Bring It On and Scary Movie certainly raise a smile.

Nic - We're miserable gits accept it :suicide: :laugh:

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    Here is some of mine (using yous as a template, and I practically dislike some of the latest sketch show that have no punch line

Big Train
    Reeves and Mortimer
    Lenny Henry (although I liked the "Three Of A Kind" series)
    Ant And Dec
    The Fast Show
    The Office
    Absolutely Fabulous
    Smack The Pony

Like for the wry slant on life.

I Didn’t Know You Cared

Political Absurdity

Mark Thomas

The Young Ones
    The Goon Show
    Q (numerous series)
    The Goodies
    Fawltey Towers
    Blackadder (in ascending order.)
    The Simpsons & Futurama
    Family Guy
    Airplane
    Have I Got News For You
    One Foot In The Grave
    Buster Keaton
    Soap (70s "sitcom")
    Victor Borge
    Father Ted
    It's a Mad, Mad, Mad,Mad World
    Morecambe and Wise
    Bradly Walsh:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

And many more

4. Trailer Trash

Trailer Trash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Victor Borge. That's a name that most of the under 50s will have never heard of. I saw him live at Fairfield Halls in Croydon in 1968

I'm surprised that none of you old boys have mentioned Gerrard Hoffnung :D

5. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good grief I hope that was an ironic comment. :eek:

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    No every time I see him interviewed he has me in stitches. The last time was on Des and Mel I was actually very nearly :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Remind me who Gerrard Hoffnung was.
    I also liked Will Hay.

7. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Each to their own :D

I find Jeremy Bowen from BBC24 news funny - now there's one v. laid back guy - he used to be great on the early morning BBC news.

8. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    No-one has mentioned the "Two Ronnies", or "Some Mothers Do Have Them".

Classic British comedy, I'm glad "Fawlty Towers" has been mentioned though, it has to be in my list of the best.

The original series of Basil Brush was also very funny at times, as was Nookie Bear with Roger de Courcey, I'm sorry Nookie has vanished from our TV (Perhaps that needs rephrasing).:smashin:

9. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +659
    I enjoyed the first half dozen episodes of Family Guy immensely, but they seemed to start running out of ideas rather quickly. There's still the odd good episode - I loved the one where Stewie decided to prevent his parents having another baby and miniaturised himself - splendid sequence parodying various aspects of "Fantastic Voyage", "Star Trek", "Star Wars" and other things.

Victor Borge: splendid. ("You'll haff to excuse me, I'm a liddle short ov breath - becoz it hass been a long day, and... I have been breathing all ze time.") 1968 was three years before I was even born, though. :eek:

Hoffnung I have little experience of. I've heard his famous address to the Oxford Union (which, as far as I am aware is the earliest sighting of a story that has been doing the rounds ever since - an insurance claim about using a barrel attached to a rope and pully to lift bricks. "Half way down... I met the barrel coming up!") I also recall a book of his cartoons, all based on muscial instruments in some way.

Thinking of classic cartoons, does anyone else like Ronald Searle - his illustrations to the "Nigel Molesworth" books (fabulous stuff) and the collection published under the title "Hurrah for St Trinians".

Will Hay, yup, Buffy and Angel, yup. :) The firm of Zucker, Abrahams and Zucker was once brilliant but their stuff tailed off a long time ago. The original Airplane is a joy, and (more controversially perhaps) I'm also immensely fond of Airplane 2. Top Secret has its moments (but is held up too much by Val Kilmer singing). Police Squad was very good, the original Naked Gun movie pretty good (supporting cast not as fine as the TV series). After that they started to lose track of the fact that if you make a big fuss about the fact that something is funny, that usually stops it from being funny. Leslie Nielsen's finest comedy performance to date (IMO) is in the original Airplane film, and it's precisely because he plays it absolutely straight that it works so well. ("Surely you can't be serious?" "I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.") The more they let him get away with pulling faces, the less effective he is.

Oh, and I so get that comment about sketches with no punchline. Of course a good sketch doesn't necessarily need a punchline as such - ideally it should be funny all the way through - but I've seen far too many sketches in my life where I've spent the entire time waiting for a punch line that never actually comes - and that basically means it isn't really all that funny. This has been happening to me for a long time: I can remember that sensation at least as far back as A Bit Of Fry And Laurie.

10. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Coupling :eek: :eek:

Just goes to show it takes all sorts as my list would be mostly the reverse of yours. As you say, the list of likes wasn't particularly short anyway.

What's 'normal' anyway?

11. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me too, apparently he's writing an autobiography which should be good, a very clever man ad sarcastic to boot... top bloke.

Wondered why I liked this movie, just couldn't put my finger on it until now :D :D

12. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    He once did a little stint on Breakfast TV and whilst writing to the BBC I mentioned I had enjoyed his short stint don’t know if they too any notice but they gave him a longer run.
    I also mentioned when Tania Becket and Emma Howard were presenting it with him (before they altered the format). And there was quite a lot of fun going round, but nothing came of that.:(

I also use to like Channel 4 Daily (it came before Big Breakfast) and was the best morning shows, which although each presenter took their own subject matter serious, there was a lot of funny interplay on the handovers.

Re-Family Guy my favourite was the one where Stewie had the time machine, his mother became a singer, and the house caught fire.

13. Charlie Whitehouse

Charlie Whitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh dear, I seem to be somewhere between Garrett and NicolasB..:eek:

Reeves and Mortimer
    The League Of Gentlemen
    Ant And Dec
    Ali G
    The Simpsons
    Buster Keaton
    Soap
    Filthy, Rich & Catflap

Things That Can Make Me Smile But Only Very Occasionally

Red Dwarf
    Goodness Gracious Me
    Austin Powers
    Absolutely Fabulous
    The Goon Show
    If I Ruled The World
    It Ain't Half Hot Mum
    Last of the Summer Wine (earlier series were better)
    Benny Hill

The Young Ones
    The Fast Show
    Lenny Henry
    Blackadder ( first series was the best :smashin: )
    Only Fools And Horses
    Spitting Image
    Monty Python (TV series - some of the films are better)
    The Goodies
    Earlier series of Whose Line Is It Anyway (esp. John Sessions)
    S&M (Slattery & McShane)
    Victoria Wood
    Rory Bremner & co
    Airplane
    Police Squad
    The Naked Gun films (in descending order)
    Have I Got News For You
    One Foot In The Grave
    Yes, Minister
    Dilbert
    Garfield
    Victor Borge
    Ripping Yarns
    Dead Ringers (radio 4 satirical impressions)
    It's a Mad, Mad, Mad,Mad World
    Morecambe and Wise
    The Two Ronnies
    Porridge
    Dad's Army
    St Trinian's Films (up to and including the Train Robbery one)
    Bedazzled (Peter Cook & Dudley Moore version)

Oh, and Roger de Courcey is my next door neighbour's brother in law :blush: :(

14. Trailer Trash

Trailer Trash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Six Degrees of Separation was correct in it's premise then :rolleyes:

15. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    Yes Roger de Courcey like him his humour as well.

Deadringers yes I have posted threads advising people to listen to this when it’s on.

Also on the radio can any one remember I’m Sorry I’ll Read That Again? (Angus Prune) I once had to pull into the road side I was laughing at it so much they were doing the Rolf Harris dirty song book.:rotfl: Some of the Monty Python team and Goodies where in it.
    Also some of them were in the funny TV series, Please Do Not Adjust Your Set.

16. Charlie Whitehouse

Charlie Whitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Captain Fantastic and Mrs Black! :rotfl:

How about Not the Nine O'Clock News, and Alas Smith & Jones. S&J's two audio cassettes, Scratch & Sniff and Bitter & Twisted also nearly caused me to crash my car, I was laughing so much.. :rotfl:

17. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually find people who constantly laugh out loud in the cinema or whilst watching TV a little disturbing to be honest. I mean, is anything you watch really that funny?

That said, the only TV show I've ever seen that has actually made me laugh properly is Peter Kay's peerless 'Phonenix Nights'. Although anything with Alan Partridge comes close on occasion.

18. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    AT LAST...
    Someone has mentioned THE best comedy ever...
    PHOENIX NIGHTS. I have watched every episode at least 10 times and i still have tears running down my face at some of the classic comedy moments contained within. Peter Kay? Genius.
    I defy anyone not to find this funny.:D :D :D

19. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I saw Peter Kay live a month or so back and it was the only live comedy i've seen that had me in stitches from start to finish - absolutely brilliant. If you get a chance, go see him live :smashin:

20. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, some things are - definitely :) I would probably really disturb you ;) :D

Research has found laughter to be a social phenomenon though, so it's important to remember that. You will laugh a lot more if you are watching something in a group and others are laughing too (a bit like when someone yawns and you find yourself yawning too).

Having said that, if something's really funny, it makes me laugh out loud, even when I watch it on my own.

It's a case of aligning your own sense of humour with what you're watching though. As this thread has demonstrated, different people find different things funny (which I guess is stating the obvious). I'm personally convinced that what each individual finds funny is highly influenced by their peers and their history, i.e. nurture not nature :)

21. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw him live at the Lowry in Salford- he was amazing. I never thought Bolton folk could be that funny:p being a blackburner an all:D But half of the stuff was ad lib with the audience and he was more funny off the top of his head.

22. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just don't get the whole Peter Kay thing.... series one and two of The League of Gentlemen on the other hand is one of the best TV comedies ever IMO and should be placed in the same league as Fawlty Towers (which I think is still the best TV comedy ever), it seems that it was not to everyone's tastes though and I couldn't stand series three.:(

Dad's Army still makes me laugh as well.

23. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hereby defy you! I couldn't/can't stand that series. Sits alongside The Office for me. I want to punch that Ricky's lights out.

Not the character, the actor. Hated his "Chat" show too.

24. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Agreed his chat show wasnt up to much, but the Office is superb

25. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest I like some of what Reeves and Mortimer did - parts of some episodes of Shooting Stars were funny but in general pretty crap, I hated Vic Reeves Big Night Out.

Simpsons and Futurama have some excellent episodes and really do make me laugh out loud, on the subject of laughing out loud most people surely have got to the point where its painful to laugh anymore and you are tears and it's uncontrollable, or is it just me ;). Also I feel a lot better afterwards, sort of chilled out and peaceful if you know what I mean.

I pretty much agree with what most people here have said though although I do not like The League of Gentlemen whatsoever, in fact I really detest it. I also can't get into Pheonix Nights either, although from what I've seen of Peter Kaye on stage he is quite funny.

26. MyMateJohn

MyMateJohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May I mention...SPACED.

One of the freshest british comedies for a long while.

The DVD is excellent as well.

There was another woefully underrated ITV comedy called "The Sketch Show", I suffered extreme belly laughter.

You should also check out "Live Floor Show" on BBC Two, some very good stand up.

Movies that tickled me

Dogma

The Naked Gun's

Pulp Fiction

Lock Stock.

Also, there was a weird low budget horror movie (the kind that doesn't take itself seriously) that I rented out with some buddies which was hysterical; Jack Frost, the killer snowman, I recommend it.

The kind of "comedy" movies I hate are

Scary Movie 2

American Pie

Road Trip

Austin Powers in Goldmember

Rush Hour.

Also, did anybody see the Michael Jackson/Bashir Comic Relief sketch by Lenny Henry/Rowan Atkinson?

I thought it was worth a donation on its own! ;)

27. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    For me, it will take something rather special to eclipse some of the earlier Only Fools & Horses stuff.

Adzman

28. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +659
    Yeah, I loved "Spaced". Although I was slightly concerned about whether the number of jokes in it that I understood was an indication that I am a bit too much of a nerd. :eek:;)

I'm actually very fond of Jackie Chan too, although his recent american outings (Rush Hour 1 and 2, Shanghai Noon) are far from his best. He's the closest thing we have to a modern-day Buster Keaton, IMO.

29. Boink!

Boink!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I always find the old black & white 'Bilko' shows to be far funnier than the majority of tv comedy [why oh why have we had three series of 'My Hero'???].

Father Ted was great [only got into that by accident, taped the wrong program and ended up crying with laughter: "No Dougal, these cows are very small, those cows are far away."] and so was Black Books and The Goodies.

Apart form that, I'm basically in agreement with Garrett. Funny [ironic, not haha], eh?

Boink!