Oh What A Difference a WORD Makes! Spirit Level.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by BlueWizard, Jan 10, 2012.

1. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,959
    I happened to be in a building supply store the other day looking at tools, and among the various other types of carpenter's spirit levels, I found this small device -

2 way bubble level - Google Search

I had seen similar before specifically for turntables, and was curious what the difference in price would be, so I searched Turntable Levels on Google. Note the first item in the list -

turntable level - Google Search

VPI Industries VPI Crosscheck Turntable Level - VPI/CCL

The identical 'audio' level was more than 5 times the cost.

The moral of the story is, if you tack anything related to audio on to the title of an object, you can charge many times the price for it.

I paid about £2.70 for the 2-way Spirit Level that I bought and it works fantastic for leveling my turntable.

Although they didn't have any in the store I was in, I know tool stores do have Round Bubble Levels similar to this -

Get the best results from your turntable - Hi-Fi - SightandSoundUK - Roksan Spirit Level

And I would expect them to be about half the cost of the Roksan Level. Though at £10, the Roksan is pretty reasonable.

I'm not selling anything here, just passing along information. If you happen to have a turntable and you happen be at your local building supply store, keep an eye out for these levels. They are dirt cheap and do a fantastic job.

My turntable, being somewhat older, didn't have adjustable feet, which made leveling difficult. So, I simply remedied that by gluing some small blocks of wood inside, drilling holes, and adding feet similar to this -

new adjustable leveling feet - Detailed info for new adjustable leveling feet,adjustable leveling feet,new adjustable leveling feet,140020 series on Alibaba.com

Though not shown in the picture, the adjustable glides/feet usually come with some type of T-Nut similar to this -

T Nuts - Tee Nut - M4 to M10 T Nuts | Nuts - Fasteners - Orbital Fasteners

Though my turntable has a relatively deep base. Modern turntables are not that deep, though more of them come with adjustable feet, which is a saving grace.

In any event, if you need a turntable spirit level, don't waste your money on an 'Audiophile' level, just go down to the local home improvement or hardware store.

Just passing the information along.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  2. steveledzep

steveledzep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Totally agree Steve. My TT bubble level is a round one like the Roksan you link to. I got it from a caravan supplies store. Everyone with a touring caravan needs to set it level when pitching. Otherwise cups of tea slide off the table !! i seem to remember I paid about £2.70 or thereabouts !! Does exactly the same job, doesn't have Roksan written on it, but my TT is level. Happy days !!

3. Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    Ha ha ha, good one! :0)

It's worth thinking about what parts a Hi-Fi company will actually make. None of them will make spirit levels. The most they would do is get levels made to their spec but, as you've shown, you should still be able to find the same or similar with one less profit margin on it.

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,959
    In one of the Sub-Links on the Google page, you can actually get TWO of these 2-way spirit levels for £2.50.

In notice the same with Stylus Tracking Weight Scales. These tend to run about £100 or more, but if you go on Ebay (Amazon, Google, ...) you can get a wide assortment of high precision scales for less than half that price, and a lot of times for about 1/4 the price of an alleged 'Audiophile' scale.

Mostly I just wanted to point people toward the very low cost Spirit Levels. I've previously uses a small carpenter's level which worked but was a bit bulky and could only measure on one axis at a time.

For £2.70, I'm not complaining.

Steve/bluewizard

5. Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    I have a cheap set of digital scales off eBay and they work perfectly.

6. steveledzep

steveledzep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    As you say Steve, anything "audio" associated carries an inflated price. With regard to tracking force scales, search for "jewellery scales," much cheaper. However, beware, there are some "better" scales available with the weighing platform just about the thickness of an LP. This is superior to the £15 scales that are about 10mm thick. Gives a far more accurate reading at exactly the height the stylus will be tracking. Clearaudio and Roksan market these scales at approaching £100, with careful search, they are available (non branded) for less than £20. That's all I paid for mine and they are accurate to 0.01 of a gramme.

7. simon ess

simon ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +596
    Paid £10 for mine. :thumbsup:

8. Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    I have the thicker ones and I sit them on a couple of CD boxes next to the platter rather than on it so it's the same hight as the record.

9. Electro58

Electro58

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I got a two way 'audio' spirit level free in the box with my Electrocompaniet Cd player :) I guess because the electromechanical cancelation system has to be dead level . It's nice to get something free from an audio company though :smashin:.

10. coruja

coruja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    At the price your kit retails for, they should send a butler free of charge to make your g&ts while you enjoy the music.

BlueWizard I noticed this too, with exactly the same items, bubble spirit levels (at Maplins for about £2.00) and electronic scales.

Roksan is relatively cheap compared to what Ortofon and others charge for similar items. Clearaudio take the supreme biscuit, the Viscount, with their scales at around £150.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012