1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

oh the bass

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by clancol, Oct 19, 2003.

1. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    my cinema in on the third floor, its a converted loft and i am trying to find a way of stoping the bass from shaking the house without turning it down. volume is no problem it just the vibrating of the ceiling.
    please help.

2. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i think i will put a new carpet down soon. does anyone know who makes a sound proof underlay.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Bass frequencies are notoriously good at penetrating most things,and you may well be left with a problem no matter what you do....the major problem is the bass enrgy within a relatively confined space,plus what is effectively a suspended wood floor.

Most underlays are effectively the same,in terms of their absorbent and attentuating properties,although you may find someone else here who has a few useful tricks.

4. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    what about pulling up the floor and layingsoundproffing under the floor boards/ and adding insulation etc then underlay then carpet?

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    up high in a house is almost impossible to kill low freq. The problem with this is you either need to have an appropriate spring constant or mass...... higher up in the house means you are effectively getting a level effect because the foundations are far away. Alternatively, you could rebuild your house out of slab concrete......

ad

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,086
    You could try putting down a paving slab, and putting the sub on that. I've heard of people putting another slab on top of the sub as well.

Perhaps putting a lump of wood on top of the slab will reduce the vibrations going into the slab, but as has already been mentioned, bass is hard to tame - only mass can really effect it.

I needed to reduce the vibrations from the sub in my loft (Rel Q200E) so I use a paving slab with two pieces of wood lined with rubber - the slab sits on the floor, the wood sits on the slab (rubber side down) and the sub spikes stick firmly into the wood. The vibrations going into the floor are greatly reduced, and it still sounds fine after setting it up with an SPL and Beheringer FBD, but I'm sure the performance must be compromised.

Worth a try and inexpensive - the slab cost me just over a pound from Wickes (Hamilton range :) ), and I had the wood left over from my screen DIY frame. I can't remember where the rubber came from, but it may have beed some electrical rubber matting. Rubber feed from Maplin should do the trick I would think (from 49p). So, for less than £2, it's something you could try at least.

Gary.